Airline on A&E

[ QUOTE ]
Doug, you probably liked that Flight Attendant, he is about your age! HA! Sorry Kristie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have to admit that he WAS pretty funny to watch and my favorite part of the show (not that there's anything wrong with that
grin.gif
). He had a great sense of humor!

The rest of the show seemed pretty scripted to me with most of the employees on their best behavior with the cameras rolling. I'd like to see the same scenarios with the cameras off!
crazy.gif

That was kind of my beef as well.

Generally, what happens with drunk passengers is that I've seen some airlines board them late in the boarding process so if the crew even notices at all, it's so late in the boarding process that it's a little late to give him the boot.

An entertaining show, yes, but 'reality tv'? Not from what I've seen from two different airlines, eight years of working in the industry and having flown nearly every airline in the country except USAir.

Strangely, I was in USAir's inflight magazine back in 1996 for my website...Weird!

You know, the first thing I thought was "A300Capt and DE727Ups must be laughing their brown polyester butts off".

I enjoyed the show a lot even if I wish it concentrated more on Flight Ops. I recently flew on SWA this weekend as one of my good friend's father is an F/O and he got the leg to fly us home (very cool by the way). I have found that SWA employees for the most party bend over backwards to help serve the customers. I mainly fly Delta and no offense doug, but I have been treated like crap by many of the employees (except pilots
smile.gif
). Anyhow, I hope to one day fly for SWA and what was shown on the tv is a culture that is quite different from other mainstream airlines. I like it!

They are a very different airline, and it's refreshing. I like alot of airlines, but no other airline is "people oriented" like Southwest is. I always laugh when I hear people talk about them. "Cattle Car", "Greyhound of the skies"....yet, every other airline is trying to be like them!!

[ QUOTE ]
They are a very different airline, and it's refreshing. I like alot of airlines, but no other airline is "people oriented" like Southwest is. I always laugh when I hear people talk about them. "Cattle Car", "Greyhound of the skies"....yet, every other airline is trying to be like them!!

[/ QUOTE ]

So true. It just gets me because no one else calls JetBlue cattle car or song or any of the other LCC. I think it is just jealousy. Lets face it SWA is damn efficient and good at what they do!
cool.gif

Okay, here's my take (bitterness that they picked MDW instead of us not withstanding....). The couple that missed the China Airlines flight, SWA SHOULD have called China to let them know. Every counter position has a list of phone numbers for the other airlines. No reason they couldn't have at least tried. Then if China decided not to hold the plane, not much else that could be done. The guy that had an odor problem, I've seen that before, but if the cameras weren't there, I think the situation would have been handled differently. Angry Drunk from-the-STREETS deserved to be kicked out. The kid was NOT two years old, and that's exactly why the parents didn't have proof of age. Wouldn't be surprised if they gave them the wrong hospital on purpose, too. Angry lady that wanted to take her whole clan through security to meet her 13 year old daughter, they SHOULD have explained that those are FAA rules, not SWA rules. Would have made us look less like angry rule makers. I felt really bad for the dude that had to buy two seats and sit through the weather delay. The whole two seat thing has been policy forever (and exists at other airlines as well), but they just started cracking down on it like last summer. I had to laugh when I saw he was getting on flight 106. I have to unload that flight when it gets to Orlando since it goes MDW-BNA-MCO. It's always a 737-500 (which is why it was oversold, 15 fewer seats than normal), parks at gate 104 overnight, then goes to JAN in the morning.

Oh a lighter note, I got to see my first airport "take down" a couple of weeks ago. Drunk guy was b*tching up a storm in the jetway, cops were called, captain got in the guys face and said something about the guy, his girlfriend, and the two trying to join the mile high club in flight (to which the guy resonded "Well, that's irrellevent."). Turns out the guy was intoxicated beyond belief, the girl was a 16 year old under house arrest (she cut off her ankle bracelet and the cops had to call her probation officer), the guy resisted arrest, and the cops hauled him down the jetway, onto the ramp, and into the car in a hammer lock. All in all, a pretty interesting hour.....

Hey USAFplt, who is the SWA F/A in your pic?

I liked the show. Some looked like "Hey, I'm in front of a camera, good behavior" but come on. Who doesn't act different in front of a camera, it's completely expected.

Reminded me of so many passengers I've dealt with as a pilot and CSR.

[ QUOTE ]
I enjoyed the show a lot even if I wish it concentrated more on Flight Ops. I recently flew on SWA this weekend as one of my good friend's father is an F/O and he got the leg to fly us home (very cool by the way). I have found that SWA employees for the most party bend over backwards to help serve the customers. I mainly fly Delta and no offense doug, but I have been treated like crap by many of the employees (except pilots
smile.gif
). Anyhow, I hope to one day fly for SWA and what was shown on the tv is a culture that is quite different from other mainstream airlines. I like it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay but for anyone wanting to make SWA a 20-30 yr. career do you think that you might ever truly get bored flying only one type of aircraft all the time.

I know that I would. And that not to say that I'd turn down the job either if offered.

Put out that flame fast
tongue.gif

Matthew

[ QUOTE ]

Now don't take my word on this because I haven't seen it yet, but yesterday I ordered one of those Just Planes World Air Routes DVD's.......I ordered one about a UNITED 777 from ORD to LHR and back......that is supposed to focus on the flight crew for the majority of the DVD with a little bit of the cabin crew towards the end.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have that DVD and yeah, it would dovetail just about perfectly with this Airline show, but from the cockpit crew perspective. You can learn quite a bit from that DVD, I've watched it several times and have picked up plenty--from ATC and airline procedures to systems, and the whole flick is a great opportunity to watch CRM in action. Watch for the captain's change in demeanor the moment he begins his initial brief with his cockpit crew--the dude goes from casual to ALL business...was impressive to see the transformation.

[ QUOTE ]

Okay but for anyone wanting to make SWA a 20-30 yr. career do you think that you might ever truly get bored flying only one type of aircraft all the time.

I know that I would. And that not to say that I'd turn down the job either if offered.

Put out that flame fast
tongue.gif

Matthew

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. lock happy here!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I think you will find all aircraft pretty much fly the same, it is the destinations that will be become repetative and boring.

Hey Mr. Lock Happy-

I'm actually a little bored with the MD-88/90 but I'm not bored enough to go train on another aircraft and six the seniority (juniority?) stew again!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Matthew

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I'd really get all that bored with it. As with anything, I'm sure that it becomes routine, but at least I'd be flying. It's not the variety of aircraft that draws me to Southwest....it's the culture and the attitudes!!

I've been flying on that airline for about the last 11 or 12 years, and each and every time has been fun!

As time goes on, I think we're going to see more and more airlines try to minimize the number of aircraft types on the line. It's just cheaper. Anybody with a maintenance background (civil or military) can tell you just how complicated it can be to keep all of the speacial tools for one aircraft type....pain in the arse!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Mr. Lock Happy-

I'm actually a little bored with the MD-88/90 but I'm not bored enough to go train on another aircraft and six the seniority (juniority?) stew again!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes,yes but you'll eventually do it. You said that you next might want to fly 757/767's outa LAX.

You'll definately love those planes.(I would hope)

LAX is also alot closer to PHX then DFW or even ATL and SWA has 40-50 flights daily from PHX-LAX (saw that ona commercial while in the valley)
grin.gif

mtsu_av8er don't get me wrong I love SWA I just think that flying one aircraft for to long becomes rather monotonous and mundane.

Having a fleet with all different types of planes breaks up the monotony.

Imagine going from a 737 to a 777 apples and oranges baby.

lain I call you "mr lock happy" with much love and admiration
grin.gif

Matthew

The move from DFW to ATL for me was more or less a "bunt". No training event, slightly longer albeit WAY easier commute, and better seniority.

But currently, I'm about 177 out of approx 390 FO's on the MD-88 in ATL and 179 out of 182 FO's on the 767 in LAX so I'm not ready for the big hit in seniority.

But LAX would be sweeeeeeeeeeeet, even without the seniority.

[ QUOTE ]
But LAX would be sweeeeeeeeeeeet, even without the seniority.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd be back in Cali!!!
grin.gif

Back