Airline dilemma

I work at CommutAir and I'm going to have to disagree. With how understaffed we are I think it is unlikely the fleet will actually triple, and although there were fast upgrades for a while we are having downgrades with the Dash 8 displacement. That's on top of the fact that we are pretty much the lowest-paying regional except for Great Lakes and Mesa despite having our bases in the two most expensive metro areas in the nation. We have an exclusive agreement with United, but none of the bonuses like Endeavor and the AA wholly owned regionals have; this means we have pretty much all the disadvantages of being wholly owned (all our eggs are in one nest-box and United could "Comair" us at any time) with none of the advantages (no flow, and no mainline-funded bonuses).

I've also heard some disturbing things about the ERJ training program, although supposedly they've worked out quite a few of the kinks. There was a very high rate of checkride failures and wash-outs for a while; I've also heard of all-day orals and one person who supposedly was told they passed the oral and then got a call the next morning informing them they'd failed (not sure if that's true as I heard it second-hand).

CommutAir has worked out very well for me so far but I've been very lucky with how everything has gone and it will be a very different story for someone getting on now.
My buddy was training on the ERJ and he said it was a nightmare. After 9 months of training (not joking) they asked him to resign. Same thing happened to a few other people in his class. Instructors wouldn’t sign people off despite them performing to company standards, long breaks in between sims, lack of communication, etc.

My buddy was training on the ERJ and he said it was a nightmare. After 9 months of training (not joking) they asked him to resign. Same thing happened to a few other people in his class. Instructors wouldn’t sign people off despite them performing to company standards, long breaks in between sims, lack of communication, etc.

Everyone in my Indoc class (last October) who got the ERJ had to wait a good 6 months for Sims; some people even had to wait that long just for Systems class! I think they've worked through the backlog now, but it was bad for a while. Admittedly I think I remember hearing PSA had similar training backlogs when they first expanded rapidly a few years ago.

I've heard it has been common for people to fail the ERJ oral on performance, and usually several hours of the day-long oral are devoted to performance. One person who was going through transition training told me a lot of the ERJ instructors didn't know how to do the performance calculations the way we do them (we do not have ACARS, and I guess these instructors had only operated the ERJ with ACARS), so it wasn't getting taught properly. I also heard about an instructor who was apparently sending students to remedial Cockpit Procedures Training after they began sims, so he could administer the remedial CPT sessions at premium pay...

Lack of communication and general disorganization seemed quite common in the training department (heck, lack of communication is pretty much always an issue at CommutAir), although the Dash 8 training program seemed mostly smoothly run when I went through it. One person did wash out though. I'm going to be starting ERJ transition next month, I definitely have some concerns about it, especially with my history of training issues.

It's all quite a shame really, as I do think CommutAir has its good points, and I've been happy with it for the most part. Sorry to hear about your buddy, hopefully he can get on at an airline without these issues.

Everyone in my Indoc class (last October) who got the ERJ had to wait a good 6 months for Sims; some people even had to wait that long just for Systems class! I think they've worked through the backlog now, but it was bad for a while. Admittedly I think I remember hearing PSA had similar training backlogs when they first expanded rapidly a few years ago.

I've heard it has been common for people to fail the ERJ oral on performance, and usually several hours of the day-long oral are devoted to performance. One person who was going through transition training told me a lot of the ERJ instructors didn't know how to do the performance calculations the way we do them (we do not have ACARS, and I guess these instructors had only operated the ERJ with ACARS), so it wasn't getting taught properly. I also heard about an instructor who was apparently sending students to remedial Cockpit Procedures Training after they began sims, so he could administer the remedial CPT sessions at premium pay...

Lack of communication and general disorganization seemed quite common in the training department (heck, lack of communication is pretty much always an issue at CommutAir), although the Dash 8 training program seemed mostly smoothly run when I went through it. One person did wash out though. I'm going to be starting ERJ transition next month, I definitely have some concerns about it, especially with my history of training issues.

It's all quite a shame really, as I do think CommutAir has its good points, and I've been happy with it for the most part. Sorry to hear about your buddy, hopefully he can get on at an airline without these issues.
Yea he’s already almost finished up with XJET. Hopefully you guys can get some more instructors!

Based on what I heard about schedules at Republic, it is actually great. Few friends there do 1 or 2 day trips only, doesn't sound too bad if you're local and they are less than a year in. Two other guys I know fly for Delta, one just started 7 month ago and barely flies, not so bad lol I don't have to commute with JFK, TEB, LGA, MMU, and HPN being so close no matter if I fly 121 or 135 so that part gets out of equation if I choose RAH. my concern is doing 4-5 day trips only, of which most mainly including weekends no matter how senior you are (at lest what many people over at PDT are saying). I think there's plenty of room in this industry for everyone to find what suites them best. As to me, i have been working weekends for 3.5 years and don't mind but yes 4/2 is not too attractive plus its a killer if you get junior manned.

Kid, everyone says that it'll be different for them. This is finally the time everything is going to be awesome. Ive thought the same thing myself a few times.

It always turns out to be wrong.

But I hope it's different for you.

Kid, everyone says that it'll be different for them. This is finally the time everything is going to be awesome. Ive thought the same thing myself a few times.

It always turns out to be wrong.

But I hope it's different for you.

lol, kid, bro ......ummmm, okay.

I simply asked for any info on RAH and PDT from people who may have dealt with any of above companies. I do have a solid plan B and plan C, soooo that's nothing to worry about. Honestly, I am sorry that things have not been working out for you i the past 10 years, I would strongly consider doing something else if I were in your boat, everyone around me seems to be doing just great and most seem to really enjoy what they are going unlike those that are around me in engineering. I guess everyone has their own persepctive.

I simply asked for any info on RAH and PDT from people who may have dealt with any of above companies. I do have a solid plan B and plan C, soooo that's nothing to worry about. Honestly, I am sorry that things have not been working out for you i the past 10 years, I would strongly consider doing something else if I were in your boat, everyone around me seems to be doing just great and most seem to really enjoy what they are going unlike those that are around me in engineering. I guess everyone has their own persepctive.
Don't ask for advice if you don't want to hear the truth on all the information you've presented. Good luck, sounds like this experiment will test your relationship. @jtrain609 is 100% right and I've seen plenty of < 30 yo's get divorced because they had to work 4 on/2 off when they thought it wouldn't happen to them.

Don't ask for advice if you don't want to hear the truth on all the information you've presented. Good luck, sounds like this experiment will test your relationship. @jtrain609 is 100% right and I've seen plenty of < 30 yo's get divorced because they had to work 4 on/2 off when they thought it wouldn't happen to them.
I've seen this more than I ever cared to. This industry can be brutal.

Based on what I heard about schedules at Republic, it is actually great. Few friends there do 1 or 2 day trips only, doesn't sound too bad if you're local and they are less than a year in. Two other guys I know fly for Delta, one just started 7 month ago and barely flies, not so bad lol I don't have to commute with JFK, TEB, LGA, MMU, and HPN being so close no matter if I fly 121 or 135 so that part gets out of equation if I choose RAH. my concern is doing 4-5 day trips only, of which most mainly including weekends no matter how senior you are (at lest what many people over at PDT are saying). I think there's plenty of room in this industry for everyone to find what suites them best. As to me, i have been working weekends for 3.5 years and don't mind but yes 4/2 is not too attractive plus its a killer if you get junior manned.

That’s how people end up staying at a regional FAR too long. Then get bitter when the industry turns on them. Be prepared for the worst, and do what you can to get good schedules. But if someone isn’t mentally prepared for 4 day weekend trips, they are going to be miserable.

Thanks everyone, that is why I will go with Republic. More days off, trips of various length and easy to get 1-2 day trips and super close to home. I can easily work part time engineering job in this case or easily pick up as many day trips as I can. I would never choose a divorse over a job but knowing my partner I should be just fine:)

Well sport, considering I got hired during the lost decade and spent some time on furlough, my career has gone ok. I really enjoy where I work, but I'm junior, so I work six days blocks over weekends.

I just don't have any illusions about years of bad schedules. It's the privilege of being junior.

Well sport, considering I got hired during the lost decade and spent some time on furlough, my career has gone ok. I really enjoy where I work, but I'm junior, so I work six days blocks over weekends.

I just don't have any illusions about years of bad schedules. It's the privilege of being junior.

I got you, I am glad you still enjoying it. See I really don't mind flying over weekends and doing 5-6 day trips as long as I know the other week will be 2-3 day trips and so on. I think 4/2 will get a little hard. Wife know what im getting into to and she herself has worked crazy shifts so both of us are clear. I really appreciate everyone's comments and advices, they are very helpful!!!

Thanks everyone, that is why I will go with Republic. More days off, trips of various length and easy to get 1-2 day trips and super close to home. I can easily work part time engineering job in this case or easily pick up as many day trips as I can. I would never choose a divorse over a job but knowing my partner I should be just fine:)
Wait, so you aren't ok working 4 on 2 off but you'll be ok being a junior fo AND working a part time engineering job?

Wait, so you aren't ok working 4 on 2 off but you'll be ok being a junior fo AND working a part time engineering job?

Only if I really have to. I wouldn't mind picking up as many trips as possible depending how easy it is. Part time engineering will be an option if say I get 17 days off constantly and need extra income.

I don't know about you guys but the best thing about this job for me is the lifestyle. I love being able to head away for a few days. My Fiancè also likes the freedom it entails. I think the time apart is the best thing for a relationship. Makes you appreciate what you have at home when on the road. I sure do miss the wee one when I'm away but love coming home to see him.

My Fiancè is an ex FA so maybe that has something to do with it. She knows and understands the schedule.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Hi all. This is my post post on Jetcareers I would like to introduce myself as well as seek your opinion and recommendations on my current dilemma.

I'm Any, have been flight instructing for 3 years now with over 1100 of dual time, 1000 G1000, and 1800 TT. I do have some experience in King Air B200 over this past summer and 60 hrs multi. I am 27 and married living in NJ. No kids as of yet and not planning for now (maybe in the next 3-4 years). Work and education experience as follows: 5 years of mechanical engineering experience and plenty of savings to help me get through the first 1-2 years of regional flying. Graduated from a private university in the North East with 3.1 GPA (was slacking and had to pay bills....lol) and full scholarship. My end goal is Legacy of course but I wouldn't mind flying for a LLC and become sim instructor, base CP, assistant CP or anything related to that.

Okay, now that you guys know what is going on, here is my dilemma. I have offers from both Republic and Piedmont and of course not sure which one to take. I live close to LGA and EWR, very close! PHL on the other hand is close to 2 hrs away. My big concern is schedules at PDT as everything else looks great with salary, equipment, people, and flow (for what it's worth). It seems like I will be looking to fly almost every single weekend and have 11-12 days off even with seniority and very little ability to control the schedule. I spoke to few friends at Republic and they really enjoy 1-2 trips on top of being close to base with 15-17 days off, more control of schedule, however takes a little longer to upgrade (not an issue with me) and no flow. I do have 2 training failures (Private IFR and initial CFI oral through FSDO). I really like the idea of 1-2 day trips which will allow me to be home A LOT and use that time for family activities or work part time job. From what I have heard it is also easy to pick up trips on days off at RAH to credit over 100 hrs if needed.

Any suggestions, pointers, words of wisdom will be much appreciated. Sorry for a long write up.

Live in base. Or at least close enough that you can drive. Everything else is irrelevant, because it all will change at some point.

It’s scary how much luck plays into it. The fact is, no matter what he chooses, probably the most important things that happen to him in his career he will have absolutely zero input into or control over. We are all along for the ride. But isn’t it a lovely ride?

Back