Airbus Official talks about pilot training

And then you get the CA that asks the AT be turned back on, when you briefed it off, it was not busy, no weather, clear day, and no fatigue/tiredness (one leg for the day).

Oh well. Can't win 'em all.

• image.jpg

The bottom line here is that the airlines don't really give 1/2 a crap about either airmanship or monkey skills; so long as training programs are meeting the FAA minimum standard and cost the line the least amount of money they can, that's what they want to do.

We are a long way from when Pan Am called themselves "The Most Experienced Airline In The World" with pride, because it meant something that their pilots and in-flight service were skilled beyond a minimum required federal standard -- it was a brand image and perceived as an attraction for customers.

So long as there aren't tv crews filming NTSB investigators walking through a flaming debris field with "YOUR AIRLINE" on the vertical stab, they're not interested in doing any more than the absolute minimum required for crews to be "safe" and "legal".

Pilots who actually care about their airmanship have to cultivate and curate it themselves.
I don't know if you were being sarcastic, but PanAm "Most Experienced Pilot/GODcaptains" killed a LOT of people because of pisspoor flying skills.

Yes the airline itself was experienced, but many of their captains had zero business commanding a jet transport.

I don't know if you were being sarcastic, but PanAm "Most Experienced Pilot/GODcaptains" killed a LOT of people because of pisspoor flying skills.

Yes the airline itself was experienced, but many of their captains had zero business commanding a jet transport.

Well said.

The bottom line here is that the airlines don't really give 1/2 a crap about either airmanship or monkey skills; so long as training programs are meeting the FAA minimum standard and cost the line the least amount of money they can, that's what they want to do.

We are a long way from when Pan Am called themselves "The Most Experienced Airline In The World" with pride, because it meant something that their pilots and in-flight service were skilled beyond a minimum required federal standard -- it was a brand image and perceived as an attraction for customers.

So long as there aren't tv crews filming NTSB investigators walking through a flaming debris field with "YOUR AIRLINE" on the vertical stab, they're not interested in doing any more than the absolute minimum required for crews to be "safe" and "legal".

Pilots who actually care about their airmanship have to cultivate and curate it themselves.

I have to disagree with what you say here.

As noted, you are latching on to a marketing line to describe what Pan Am was.

Also, in my experience, while some airlines only do the only minimum, my current place (and Spirit) does more than the minimum, spends money in the training programs, and goes far beyond what the FAA expects.

I have to disagree with what you say here.

As noted, you are latching on to a marketing line to describe what Pan Am was.

Also, in my experience, while some airlines only do the only minimum, my current place (and Spirit) does more than the minimum, spends money in the training programs, and goes far beyond what the FAA expects.
That's great to hear.

Back