Airbus A400 crashes on maiden flight

If only that were true. I'll always advocate for a mechanical linkage for primary flight controls and engine controls, I'm not a luddite, and less linkages make my life easier but I prefer having a crew with positive control regardless if all the lights go out.

I'm in complete agreement, it's one of the reasons I enjoy flying H model C-130s so much.

If only that were true. I'll always advocate for a mechanical linkage for primary flight controls and engine controls, I'm not a luddite, and less linkages make my life easier but I prefer having a crew with positive control regardless if all the lights go out.

If I want enough power to turn the turbine blades into little nubs, damn it, that's what I want.

If I want enough power to turn the turbine blades into little nubs, damn it, that's what I want.
If it's adjusted properly even a TFE-731 in manual mode (EEC or DEEC failure) shouldn't burn itself down regardless of what you ask it to do.

If it's adjusted properly even a TFE-731 in manual mode (EEC or DEEC failure) shouldn't burn itself down regardless of what you ask it to do.

I flew a few airplanes with -731's. Never had so much as a mouse fart of a problem with them.

I flew a few airplanes with -731's. Never had so much as a mouse fart of a problem with them.
Consider yourself lucky, MSP is a 731 owners best friend. There is a similar program for Tays and Speys but most owners don't pay for it, and those engines seem to go to mid-life and to overhaul without any issues. 731s seem to not be able to last until MPI or CZI. I suppose that's what happens when you turn an APU into an engine.

Dang.

It seems like the A400 is a good design on paper, but I've heard rumots of terrible build quality.
It's got a poor reputation I my old world too.
Open any copy of Aviation Week from the last 5 years or so.

But the short of it - project way over budget, governments not coughing up more cash, Airbus pushing the things out the door either way.

The governmentisn't gonna pour good money in after bad? Novel concept.

Dang.

It seems like the A400 is a good design on paper, but I've heard rumots of terrible build quality.

Here we have it:
http://www.defensenews.com/story/de...n-aerospace-defence-accident-airbus/28142421/

BERLIN — Analysis of the flight recorders of the A400M which crashed in Spain on May 9, killing four, indicated there were no structural faults but assembly quality problems, a senior Airbus executive said in a newspaper interview to appear Friday.

"The black boxes confirm it. There was no structural fault, but we have a serious final assembly quality problem," Airbus Group's Chief of Strategy Marwan Lahoud told the German daily Handelsblatt after receiving the first results of the analyses of the flight recorders.

Starting to look like a good time to buy Lockheed-Martin stock. I see some C-130 orders coming in soon.

Back