Airbus A380 Super Jumbo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prospective_Pilot

I'm VERY excited about this new super heavy....what about the rest of u???? Anyone else excited???

I'll definietly try and make it on one of Qantas's A380's once they start to get them in 2006.....
grin.gif

First production pics!!!!!

A380_1.jpg

A380_11.jpg

A380_12.jpg

A380_2.jpg

A380_3.jpg

A380_4.jpg

A380_5.jpg

A380_7.jpg

A380_9.jpg

A380__6.jpg

Things are starting to take shape for her!!!! I hope at least Northwest and United order the A380....It would be awesome if some other U.S airlines did too.....(guess I can keep on DREAMING)
smirk.gif

I would have to agree with you that it is exciting, but I definetly do NOT like the way it looks. It is just to big and fat, not graceful at all. Just my opinion. By the way anyone know how much one of those things sells for. Considering for a private jet.
smirk.gif
grin.gif

Well so far it's not the most attractive aircraft since it's still rather naked!!!! But once she is finished she'll be very, very pretty and graceful with 4 of those 777 type engines....
cool.gif

I believe the list price of the A380 is around $235,000,000 - $275,000,000, but Airbus have been selling them at a discount for the same price as a 747-400....

[ QUOTE ]

I believe the list price of the A380 is around $235,000,000 - $275,000,000, but Airbus have been selling them at a discount for the same price as a 747-400....

[/ QUOTE ]

YES! Only $274,999,999.99 more and I will be able to buy one
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Can all we JCers pool our money together and get one?

[/ QUOTE ]
About how many JC members are there? You made me want to figure this out.
tongue.gif

Well, if all of those 1886 "active" users were to chip in equally, each one would have to pay $124,620-$145,811, depending on the price Airbus gives us.
tongue.gif
Man, thats not even including operating costs.
shocked.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I've been saying, Airbus is a jobs creation program first, and an aircraft maker second. Boeing, on the other hand, has to make a profit.

That's why Airbus can make this A380, because it helps keep the European unemployment rate lower. I just don't see the economic logic behind this thing other than for cargo and for some Asian routes.

[ QUOTE ]
Like I've been saying, Airbus is a jobs creation program first, and an aircraft maker second. Boeing, on the other hand, has to make a profit.

[/ QUOTE ]This is precisely why I don't have a problem with the Air Force's KC-767 lease/buy deal; sure, it's corporate welfare for Boeing, but since America's last commercial aircraft manufacturer has to compete against the heavily subsidized Airbus, it helps level the playing field a little. Seriously, if Boeing were to go down the tubes, we'd be hurting in a big way.

I really don't like the A380 either; with that many bodies stuffed in a tube, it's an extremely appealing target for terrorism. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts one is blown up or shot down within the first 2 years of service.

Ditto what Aloft said. If I ever see a UASF Airbus tanker, I think I'll puke. It's funny that some Senator from Washington hasn't grasped this fact and tried to bring it out in a more public venue.

In any case, does anyone know to what extent Airbus is subsidized by the EU?

CJ

Not to take away any credit from Airbus' accomplishment but I could care less about the A380. I doubt I will ever want to fly on one of them.

I am WAY more excited about the 7E7!

Let's squash this before it gets out of hand. Boeing is NOT going to be exiting the commercial airplane business. The US Gov't will not allow us to lose the commercial airplane sector like we lost the auto industry.

Aloft,

I disagree with you. The Boeing 767 Tanker deal is not corporate welfare. The KC-135's absolutely positively need to be replaced--they're almost 40 years old!

I think the only way we *may* ever see the US Gov't purchasing Airbus aircraft is if (1) Airbus is no longer subsidized at all by any European Gov't, and/or (2) some major US Company buys a giant stake in Airbus.

That's true!! But I don't judge the aircraft both Boeing and Airbus make by their means and ways the manufacturers do their business, but rather the products they put out. With all due respect, too me, it is of little importance what goes on behind the doors at each company. I'll continue to be happy if just both continue to make good quality aircraft which one day maybe I might just fly (man that A380 is going to be a beast to fly!
grin.gif
).

My intentions are to fly the planes they put out. If I wanted to work for an aircraft manufacturer then I'd look at the heart of the companies.

In the end both Boeing and Airbus are anything but perfect companies in themselves. Both have their issues and problems as far as I am aware.

Lastly:

I'm only a "heavy" fan....not for or against any of the aircraft manufacturers including the Russian ones!!
grin.gif

cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't like the A380 either; with that many bodies stuffed in a tube, it's an extremely appealing target for terrorism. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts one is blown up or shot down within the first 2 years of service.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't even think about that. One good thing about the A380 is that it would have four engines, so hopefully, if one is hit by a heat seeking missile, the other three would allow it to get down safely. I don't know.

But even if terrorism isn't factored in there, I just don't see the economic justification for the A380. We're seeing a lot of airlines move from 747s to 777s on the routes where the A380 would make sense. In other words, they're flying planes with LESS seats.

So why would anyone want to buy a plane with MORE seats?

[ QUOTE ]

That's why Airbus can make this A380, because it helps keep the European unemployment rate lower.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where exactly did you find that information? Airbus does not have to make a profit?? Why don't they give their a/c away then? A job creation program? What was the unemployment rate then??
I think any kind of competition is good for the customer...

The consortium was introduced in 1970, the unemployment rate then was, to be exact in 1973 of 2.7%, increasing to over 6% in 1980, reaching a peak in the 1990s, when it stabilized around 11%...
It could not have been a job creation program with such a low unemployment rate.
EADS is a publicly traded company, hasn't been for very long, I agree. Nevertheless, it is now; and even before, all of Airbus's parent companies were publicly traded.
As of Oct 2003, Airbus still had 1497 a/c on order to be delivered, that alone tells me they are doing something right, and generating cash flow as well.
As for goverment help, Boeing had last year a $190 million tax break; and received money for government financed projects (military).
The B777 is an excellent a/c, let's not forget it was entirely designed using a computer software... coming from, guess: Dassault (Falcon, Mirage...) a french company.
Airbus would not be where they are right now without some extra help from the EU, but neither would Boeing.
That's all I have to say about that!!!

Back