Air Wagner

I hate to say this but… at least he was trying?

I learned to fly at a small uncontrolled field in northern CA, and the number of morons who would fly their piston twin straight in on the instrument approach with no regard to their sequence in the pattern was astounding. Nevermind the senile/deaf old guy with a Yak who, upon calling initial for the overhead break, everybody knew just to scatter out of the way since he wouldn’t hear you on the radio anyway…

I learned to fly at a small uncontrolled field in northern CA, and the number of morons who would fly their piston twin straight in on the instrument approach with no regard to their sequence in the pattern was astounding. Nevermind the senile/deaf old guy with a Yak who, upon calling initial for the overhead break, everybody knew just to scatter out of the way since he wouldn’t hear you on the radio anyway…

Wasn’t there a recent midair between a Cessna 152/172 and a light twin in California? Where the poor kid asked about the twin, told him where he was, and the twin never answered. It rammed right into him, both aircraft fatal losses.

Wasn’t there a recent midair between a Cessna 152/172 and a light twin in California? Where the poor kid asked about the twin, told him where he was, and the twin never answered. It rammed right into him, both aircraft fatal losses.
Yeah I think you’re thinking of the Watsonville Cessna 340 that target fixated(?) and barreled into the back of the poor student in the 152 during their go around. That one’s a head scratcher, that student couldn’t have done much more right (including seeing the traffic behind him and initiating a go around to get out of the way).

I think you’re too hard on “Corpies” but I’ll happily vilify twin Cessna owners with you. :)

Ok I taught for a few years in N CA and the old guy with the yak sounds familiar…where was this?

In the comments:

"@Jerry.Wagner
2 days ago
I can too, I did in N3318Q for 23 years, King KNS-80 with steam gauges, was slow to go to glass and now I love it"

wait, 30 years later and this is his level of airmanship and proficiency???? stunning.

can't say stuffing yourself into the exact opposite direction of 2 aircraft that are working the pattern, at nearly their altitude,
doing that until you are 2 miles from the airport,
and THEN "breaking off" while head down messing with 4 panels, and diarrhea of the mouth,
is something I would want a relative riding along with.

Last edited:
Just absolutely LUV how he's head-down inside trying to figure out how his TCAS works while in the pattern with another plane just off his wing.
Big tech avi-style points for that.

He does have a heart condition, so perhaps his eyes don't work so well. And who knows if it's reported on his 8500-8. ???

He's had that Garmin setup now for what, 24, 36 calendar months? Kinda seems like he might be a bit more proficient with the screen-ology by now.

Aa
Just absolutely LUV how he's head-down inside trying to figure out how his TCAS works while in the pattern with another plane just off his wing.
Big tech avi-style points for that.

He does have a heart condition, so perhaps his eyes don't work so well. And who knows if it's reported on his 8500-8. ???

He's had that Garmin setup now for what, 24, 36 calendar months? Kinda seems like he might be a bit more proficient with the screen-ology by now.
we need somebody to rip
The videos and re-post privately so that he’s not getting rewarded for stupidity. I refuse to watch this one and give him a view.

The question I always have for this flight is why he bothers tuning in the VOR and switches CDI source back and forth rather than just load the departure and fly it pink needles. He definitely needed to do it in the past when he had no GPS, but now...

1709402004117.png

The question I always have for this flight is why he bothers tuning in the VOR and switches CDI source back and forth rather than just load the departure and fly it pink needles. He definitely needed to do it in the past when he had no GPS, but now...

View attachment 76777

He should just pick one and do it. If he wants to fly a monkey magenta line, do that. If he wants the challenge of ground based navigating it, then do that. Though the latter might tax his situational awareness beyond what exists.

He should just pick one and do it. If he wants to fly a monkey magenta line, do that. If he wants the challenge of ground based navigating it, then do that. Though the latter might tax his situational awareness beyond what exists.
He’s like the Charlie Z of flying, Run in take a cheap shot at actual flying, then when he gets hit- running away to his smart systems and pretending that he conquered all, claiming top ace status.

Back