Air Methods Closing Bases

What's going on with Air Methods?
Medevac, rotor wing in particular, has been in a supply glut for a while. Coupled with the good market for pilots I’d expect to see a lot more of this in the coming years.

Also could be that transporting heroin and meth ODs at Medicaid reimbursement rates doesn’t pencil out in the long run, idk.

Last edited:
I think AMC is kinda like Air Evac in that they will open and close bases pretty frequently. Heck AEL, bunks the crews in triple-wides, and I don’t think they ever take the wheels off.

For scale: they have 450ish aircraft, which is basically identical to Skywest, but it’s hardly notable when Skywest starts or terminates a city. On the other hand their west coast operation (Mercy Air) has added several new bases in the last year or so.

But yeah...Medicaid reimbursement on air medical flights is terrible, and certain areas of the country do almost nothing but that (like you get a paper cut, we’re airlifting you to the big city).

But yeah...Medicaid reimbursement on air medical flights is terrible, and certain areas of the country do almost nothing but that (like you get a paper cut, we’re airlifting you to the big city).

Misuse of air medical assets on by using them on calls that in no way require air med is something I find annoying. Both as an EMS provider in my contract work, as well as an aviator. It's an risk undertaken, for both flight crew as well as patient, for no viable reason other than mere convenience on these types of calls.

Misuse of air medical assets on by using them on calls that in no way require air med is something I find annoying. Both as an EMS provider in my contract work, as well as an aviator. It's an risk undertaken, for both flight crew as well as patient, for no viable reason other than mere convenience on these types of calls.

And then AMGH/AMC feel justified in fleecing those with private insurance when they need a transport. With no consumer choice, they have no business getting ADA consideration.

Methods was probably one of the worst run companies I’ve ever worked for. They are the epitome of making money in spite of themselves. I enjoyed the job, but man they were frustrating to work for at times.

Anything that seems absurd or unreasonable typically has the hand of government (or its funding) involved.

They ain’t sending you them dia-beetus supplies you see Wilford hawking for free. Someone is paying the bill, and those ads aren’t a PSA.

Last edited:
Looks like in AZ, they just closed down Show Low, Springerville, Globe and Willcox helicopter bases tonight.

Although I have insurance that would cover a good hunk of medical evac, for the last decade or so, I've purchased plans from Air Evac and Air Methods. Currently, I have an Air Evac plan. I don't think Air Methods still has a plan. Air Evac provides primary services in the two or three areas I spend 95% of the time.

18 bases closed in “high-Medicare/Medicaid markets”, aircraft have been/are being shifted to 14 new bases in other areas.

Lot of reservation bases in there.

Last edited:
Looks like it was more than that in OK

Air Methods Shutters Four Bases in Oklahoma
Air ambulance provider Air Methods abruptly closed four bases in Oklahoma over the weekend. The company said it closed the bases in Chickasha, Keefeton, Seminole, and South Tulsa due to financial considerations.

These closures will affect up to 60 employees and the company said it is working to find them other opportunities within Air Methods. Each base operated 24/7 and had a budget of close to $3 million. Air Methods said it will continue to provide neonatal air transport in the area via its AirKids1 program in Oklahoma City.

Although I have insurance that would cover a good hunk of medical evac, for the last decade or so, I've purchased plans from Air Evac and Air Methods. Currently, I have an Air Evac plan. I don't think Air Methods still has a plan. Air Evac provides primary services in the two or three areas I spend 95% of the time.

What you do that requires you to purchase a helo evac plan?! I hadn't even heard of that.

What you do that requires you to purchase a helo evac plan?! I hadn't even heard of that.

It’s a “membership.” Some states outlaw them because they’re essentially insurance to cover the balance and being sold by companies that are not licensed insurance companies. Example: as of 3 yrs ago no AMC memberships were sold in NC.

As for “Why?” If you ever venture outside of a metro area, you’re asking to wake up in a hospital with one of those $50,000 bills that your insurance deemed “not medically necessary.” It’s nothing you did, but some cow walked into the road around a blind curve....etc...etc...instant steaks....and a local EMT decided to call the HEMS outfit his buddy works for and which just bought pizza for his firehouse. The EMT goes back to bed. You are stuck talking to lawyers and having AMC put a lien on your house (no joke —Google that one).

I spend a fair amount of time in rural Kentucky, rural Tennessee, and rural Washington. I'm also way out of my league in my backyard wresting club.

I started buying evac policies or memberships when I lived and worked overseas. I kept it up when I returned stateside.

An actuary, like my ex, would probably tell you that they are a bad deal. My current girlfriend compares them to my bar tabs and thinks they are a good investment considering I drive too fast, ride horses, and increasingly rely on her visual acuity to find small airports.

They are cheaper than AAA. I'm not sure what happened to the Air Methods memberships.

I applied to Air Methods twice for vacancies on the fixed wing side. I have the skill set, meet all the requirements and have the will but I can't get past the "talent sourcers", Brittany and Monica. I finally gave up, they must not need pilots very bad after all.

Back