Air Inc. shuts down

jtrain609

Antisocial Monster
You know we're in bad shape when Air Inc. shuts down because of economic uncertainty.

AIR, Inc. will cease operations effective 2/13/2009.

It has been an honor and a privilege to serve you during the past 20 years. However, the current status of the airline industry and the economy has made our business unsustainable, and we are closing.

We have made arrangements with FltOps.com to provide services at no cost to all current AIR, Inc. members or subscribers for the duration of their current membership or subscription. Enrollment in this special offer ends on April 15 th, 2009.

You will be required to enter a credit card to activate your FltOps membership, but it will not be charged until your current membership expires, and then only if you do not cancel your FltOps membership. You need to register for your new membership with FltOps.com and establish a new username and password for the FltOps.com Web site.

Surprising AIRCON did not float them some cash under the table since they have done so much heavy lifting for them over the years.

Ye olde old pump and dump scam. Just like the investor boards. I cant believe that guy would ever show his face in public.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wait, Kit! There is a shortage of people who make a buck on people who dream of becoming airline pilots just around the corner! Stick with it, and if you come to one of my seminars, I can probably help you find....

Listen closely, children...

Back in the day, there was no such thing as "the internets!"

Aspiring pilots had nowhere to turn for information on airline hiring.

It was possible, through much heavy lifting and effort, to compile a list of airline addresses and H. R. (it was generally called "personnel" back then) contacts, but it wasn't easy and it could be expensive and very time-consuming.

There was no easy way to know what flight-hour minimums were required.

There was no easy way to know what, exactly, each company was looking for.

There was no easy way to know what airlines were out there, except for the "Majors."

Nobody, but nobody, had a computer. You wrote a letter to an airline asking for an application, and two or three weeks later when it came you rented or borrowed an IBM selectric typewriter and "carefully" filled it in.

Then you sent it off and hoped for the best...

If you were lucky and could talk to other aspiring airline pilots, someone might have told you about FAPA - Future Aviation Professionals of America.

FAPA consolidated all of the information - addresses, contacts, flight-time requirements, hiring trends and "do's & don'ts" into one document.

FAPA was a godsend!

Was it a ripoff? Maybe - after all, the data they gave was publically available if you had the time and know-how to look for it.

All I know is that I owe my start in this business to the info which they provided me.

I can't speak to the subsequent iterations, Air, Inc. etc.

I just know that FAPA was well worth the money to me at the time...

Kevin

Grandpa! Grandpa! Tells us the story of how you and Grandma met on the train!

:)

It looks like APC has taken over the exact role of FAPA.

There is no need to give a lecture about the bad old days. Sites like this one, avianation, climbto350, aviation interviews make things a lot better. IRT to Darby, big friggin deal.

Concerning Mr. Darby, I find it interesting that the major pilot mill in the country prominently touts a long and recent presentation where he basically is telling aspirants "now is the the time to jump in, not at the peak." He then shutters his bidness due to economic conditions of the airlines, right after he is pumping flight training with a rosy picture to ATP students. Classic classless pump and dump. Either the future is bright or dim. Shouldnt be polishing a turd, just to better your bottom line.

Stapelgun, what you descirbe is a beneficial service that organizes information that's spread all over the place into one place. THAT is a service I would have paid for before the internet. Air, Inc, however, has been preaching the "pilot shortage" to sell their seminar for years. At a time when you couldn't get a phone call for an interview with less than 1000/200, they were saying there's a "pilot shortage" to get people to sign up.

Isn't that a description of the entire world of business ? :crazy::crazy:
No, its not. In the brokering side of my business, I could probably make a big sale of an inferior product to a customer who I have built up trust over time- at least ONCE. That is bad business and you always got to live with yourself.

Concerning Kit Darby, he never really bothered me until he threw in the towel right after he continued to pump.

At a time when you couldn't get a phone call for an interview with less than 1000/200, they were saying there's a "pilot shortage" to get people to sign up.

I'm not a big fan of Kit Darby, but if you CAN get an interview with the times posted above (or even a few hundred more), doesn't that indicate there is a pilot shortage? Or at a minimum a shortage of pilots willing to work for food stamp wages?

I'm not a big fan of Kit Darby, but if you CAN get an interview with the times posted above (or even a few hundred more), doesn't that indicate there is a pilot shortage? Or at a minimum a shortage of pilots willing to work for food stamp wages?

IMO, a "pilot shortage" is when airlines don't have enough applicants to fill positions. I've never seen that in the 8 years I've been paying attention.

Back