Air Canada A320 Crash at YHZ

Not that I am aware of. What does IAN stand for?

3. INTEGRATED APPROACH NAVIGATION

Integrated Approach Navigation (IAN) is an approach option designed for airlines that want to use ILS-like pilot procedures, display features, and autopilot control laws for nonprecision (Category I) approaches. This option does not require additional ground facility support.

[http://www]

The FMC transmits IAN deviations to the autopilot and display system. The pilot procedures for IAN are derived from current ILS pilot procedures and are consistent for all approach types: Select the approach on the FMC control display unit, tune the appropriate station, and arm the autopilot approach mode. The IAN function supports the ILS for glideslope inoperative, localizer only, and backcourse approach types.

The IAN function will alert the crew to approach selection or tuning inconsistencies. For example, if an ILS station is tuned and an area navigation (RNAV) approach also is selected on the FMC, the flight crew will be alerted and the ILS approach mode will take precedence automatically, with the appropriate display format.

[http://www]

While the IAN display (fig. 3) is similar to an ILS display, there are sufficient visual differences to ensure that the crew does not confuse a nonprecision IAN approach for a precision ILS or GLS approach (fig. 4). As on all nonprecision approaches, the altimeter is the primary method of ensuring that altitude constraints are honored.

Retrofit of this option involves software updates for the FMC, CDS, flight control computer, and digital flight data acquisition unit (DFDAU) and hardware and software updates for the EGPWS.

Fifi can do an IAN type deal for all approaches except Loc only. Loc only you do basically VNAV to the FAF and then transition into flight path angle mode- it has to do with certification.

Meanwhile, when Southwest finally gets IAN 15 years after everyone else, they will announce it to the papers like they invented it (like they did with VNAV about 5 years ago, haha).

Fifi can do an IAN type deal for all approaches except Loc only. Loc only you do basically VNAV to the FAF and then transition into flight path angle mode- it has to do with certification.

Meanwhile, when Southwest finally gets IAN 15 years after everyone else, they will announce it to the papers like they invented it (like they did with VNAV about 5 years ago, haha).

I remember thinking "Is that a different type of RNP or something? I thought we were already doing those at SouthernJets, whaaaa?!"

I hear their new 737-700's are equipped for flight into known icing! That's really going to improve their reliability!

Holy Cripes! According to the TSB this was the second point of impact... not sure if they skipped off the ground earlier or if hitting the power lines in the air counted as the first impact.

If they had hit that slope a few feet lower there would likely have been some fuselage snapping, fire and/or cartwheeling. Lucky, lucky, lucky...

aca_a320_c-ftjp_halifax_150329_10.jpg

These images surfaced from a friend, not sure who got permission to use a drone out there, or if they did... in any case, some interesting photos.

szwDbXM.jpg

eCRbx46.jpg

v1DUQDp.jpg

sylprnH.jpg

What's your Fifi RNP certification?

We just got 0.1

Just curious how prevalent it is.

Does Air Canada do CANPA/CDA/whatever the new term for a constant rate descent on a non-precision approach is these days, or do they do dive and drive?

As has been stated, it's really, really, really easy to start to duck under if you're doing dive and drive once you start to get the lights in sight. It's nice to have electronic guidance all the way down to the runway, just so you have a reference point to make sure you don't dip down below the GS. My last shop got rid of the practice of dive and drive, and told us that if we have to get those extra few feet when compared against having a DDH to just go missed and divert if you can't get in.

Back