Aerobatic or Seaplane

I vote aerobatics.

Get some spin training, unusual attitude and recovery training. Those will help you out more as a pilot right now.

Why compromise? Do both at the same time. In a Waco.

UBF-2inverted.jpg

Get the acro if you're limited, it will make you a significantly better pilot. Also a lot of jobs are going to start want upset attitude training me thinks...

Thanks for the comments. I believe I will try acro training prior to my commercial ratings. Then get the seaplane for a fun vacation getaway sometime in the future.
Thanks again for the help.

I'm assuming since he bothered to ask at all that it's an either/or. If you do you acrobatic training you can get your tail wheel thrown in there. I would wait and do your seaplane as an add-on as well, otherwise you'll have private only privileges after you get your commercial.

Suggesting another two-fer that might be cheaper...

If you're building time, why not get a glider endorsement? The time counts toward your TT, it's much cheaper, will REALLY teach you rudder skills the way a TW rating would, you can also do aero in one.

Sully was a glider pilot, dontchaknow? :)

Suggesting another two-fer that might be cheaper...

If you're building time, why not get a glider endorsement? The time counts toward your TT, it's much cheaper, will REALLY teach you rudder skills the way a TW rating would, you can also do aero in one.

Sully was a glider pilot, dontchaknow? :)

I was asking around about doing this, and was told that glider training is actually quite expensive... and doesn't ever really get "cheap".

Granted, I wasn't looking to do gliders because I'm looking for cheap TT ... but I didn't realize it would break the bank... I know we have glider people around here though... any input on that?

~Fox

I was asking around about doing this, and was told that glider training is actually quite expensive... and doesn't ever really get "cheap".

Granted, I wasn't looking to do gliders because I'm looking for cheap TT ... but I didn't realize it would break the bank... I know we have glider people around here though... any input on that?

~Fox

The club here costs about $700 to join (initiation and first year membership, following years is about $250). You can rent gliders hourly or pay $200/year for unlimited use.

Then it's $25/tow.

So obviously hourly cost could vary a whole lot depending upon on how long you can soar in a session, but about $50/flight if you did 50 per year and $70/flight if you did 25 per year.

Second year costs are lower since there's no initiation fee.

CFI fees aren't included, since that's going to be variable.

The club here costs about $700 to join (initiation and first year membership, following years is about $250). You can rent gliders hourly or pay $200/year for unlimited use.
Then it's $25/tow.
So obviously hourly cost could vary a whole lot depending upon on how long you can soar in a session, but about
Second year costs are lower since there's no initiation fee.
CFI fees aren't included, since that's going to be variable.

That's a LOT lower than what I heard from my friend here.. who said it's something like $300/tow out of Hollister.

I'm not really sure what to think now. Perhaps a regional difference? That's quite a ∆...

~Fox

That's a LOT lower than what I heard from my friend here.. who said it's something like $300/tow out of Hollister.

I'm not really sure what to think now. Perhaps a regional difference? That's quite a ∆...

~Fox

You have impressive keyboard command. :)

I've always heard (at least in the south central part of the country) that a tow was around $30 - more if you wanted to go higher. drunkenbeagle does this in FL sometimes and I'm sure he can give better information.

Our club is $500 initiation and then $500 a year. Other than the $500 a year you just pay for tows. $12.50 for a pattern tow(1500). $25 for 3000 and $31 for 4000. No hourly cost for glider use

Back