ADX Memorization Questions Vs Evaluation Questions

Bradpmp

Hey everyone! Question about the ADX test. Possibly some of you can share your ADX test experiences as far as how many questions from the 80 were memorization style questions, and how many required referring to a chart and/or requiring calculations. I've been feeling fairly confident at least for the amount of questions I've actually memorized. In most cases, possibly the same for some of you, I will look at a question and not know the answer off the top of my head. However, when I read the answer choices, an answer sticks out to me that I remember reading. I'm hoping that if I focus on memorizing what I can now, I will get the chance in class during the first two weeks to aid me on reading the charts and figuring out flight planning..etc.

I can tell you my experience and that of my fellow classmates. Some had 10 questions that were "chart" related, some 20 but I personally had 31. It was a nightmare! The tests are randomly computer generated so there is no way to know what you are going to get. I also had 4 flight plans where some had only 1. I finished the test with only 5 minutes to spare. You can't bank on anything...you'll get what you get.

I went there with everything memorized except for all the performance stuff and to tell you the truth, I WISH I'd spent time to memorize all that too. It would have saved me a LOT of stress and late nights. I thought as you are thinking - I'll have time in class to learn that stuff. Well I did learn it but my days and nights were very long because a crapload of other stuff is being crammed down your throat too. You don't have time to be learning all this stuff for the ADX too. We has 2-4 tests a week on all the stuff we were learning. It's intense.

Anyway, I suggest you show up to school ready to take that test! It will make your life a lot easier! At least that way when they are teaching that stuff, you don't have to spend hours each night working on it. Hope that helps...good luck!

That's kinda what I figured. Iv'e been able to find some decent information on Google and YouTube and those are really my only two options for learning this stuff right now. While I was in college, often times, I would learn more about my algebra questions from YouTube than I would from my instructor. It's a great tool! Thank you again Womanpilot for always offering your insight!

Will you be attending Sheffield? I memorized the bank of 550 questions from sheffield and did very well on the ADX test.

Yes, I am attending the Augest 20th class. I just found out that my ATP book is from 2000 so my questions set doesn't line up with Sheffields questions. I wanted to highlight the questions in the ATP book and be able to cover the answer and self quiz myself that way. The Sheffield ADX book is nice, but the correct answer is in bold so I have no way to test. I'm considering downloading the gliem software or another one. I want to do live testing senarios.

I'm thinking about getting that or the Sheppard software. I've been reading rave reviews on Sheppard Air software.

Last year, when I downloaded it from Sheffield's website, there were several formats. I studied one page at a time; then covered the answers and quized myself... Will you be taking the 5-week course?

Iv'e been doing the Sheffield quizzes also. I'm fairly decent on the question and answer format questions. I could stand to go over them a few more times. I'm learning about the 727 and DC-9 stuff now. Yes, I am taking the 5-week course:)

I am just starting to go through the Gleim book as I prepare for the ADX at a date TBD. I thought I remembered reading somewhere on these forums that there were a few chapters that could be skipped. If that's true, which are they? Thanks and good luck to everyone.

If you haven't ordered any software yet, the Gleim software is a great recommendation. I took the ADX written about 3 months ago and it definitely helped speed up the studying process.

By the way, I'll be joining you at Sheffield for a portion of the course.

Chapter 6, FAR Part 135. There are a few questions in there that could be asked though.Sheffield offers a 3 month trial to access the information on their site. They offer a 600 question list to study, rather than the 1,513 questions in the ATP book. Iv'e seen every question once or twice at least, it doesn't hurt to read the entire book a few times. I know I have learned lots of questions that won't be seen/wouldn't be asked on the ADX. It's all personal preference :)

Just memorize the questions. Its so much easier. Keep in mind that 10% of the questions will NOT not be in the book. This is used as a "marketing tool" to help them develop questions for future editions.

Thanks Krystal! Do you have any recommendations on the best way to remember the chart # with the answer? Ex:Operating conditions R-1, Q-5?

Thanks Krystal! Do you have any recommendations on the best way to remember the chart # with the answer? Ex:Operating conditions R-1, Q-5?

I have to go dig up my notes from DX school. There is a system from the Gleim books that worked...it is actually a mathematical system (sort of a .."if a is the 2nd choice then, choose d unless XYZ" ) I cant remember off the top of my head but I have all of my notes. Im going through a divorce so most of my crap is still in boxes but I will see if I can find them.

Hmm...That doesn't make sense to me. But thank you for taking the time out of your day to respond! :)

The ADX is supposed to 80 questions; mine was 83. Those extra 3 were the marketing questions and don't actually count against you if you miss them. Also, I did not have any questions from the 135 chapter. I heard also that you could have a few from there but I didn't. I never even opened that chapter. I wouldn't worry about it... :)

Back