Advice for Aviation Dispatch?

Shock-Diamonds

Hey there, my name is Chris! I was referred to this forum by my brother, who flies for Spirit. I am 29 years old, a long time aviation enthusiast, and looking for some advice on getting my ADX, and becoming a dispatcher. I do not have much time in the airline world, but have spent the last few months as a Crew Scheduler for Mesa Airlines. I learned a lot, but my passion is on the aviation, not the crew. So far i am studying the Sheppard Air program, and am scheduled to start a new school here in Phoenix, in January. I am just looking for any advice on beginning the process, do's and don'ts, tips/ tricks, finding a job, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

If you go back to the main Page and scroll down to the career specific section you will find a sub forum for dispatch. Might make it easier to get some answeres.

It’s a tough career to get into. The regionals don’t pay anything and several of the legacies hire from within and not externally. So, your options are to put your time in with a regional making crap and hope you can get on with one of the bigger airlines that pay better or take another job to get your foot in the door with a legacy and hope they’ll hire you internally. Larger airlines typically don’t hire off the street with no experience.

It’s a tough career to get into. The regionals don’t pay anything and several of the legacies hire from within and not externally. So, your options are to put your time in with a regional making crap and hope you can get on with one of the bigger airlines that pay better or take another job to get your foot in the door with a legacy and hope they’ll hire you internally. Larger airlines typically don’t hire off the street with no experience.

This is good advice. With your experience as a scheduler at Mesa, I would advise you to possibly look at doing something similar at a major in their crewing department. Once you have your foot in the door it's easier to get into an assistant DX position and go from there. As I'm sure you're aware, these jobs really require relocation unless you're lucky to be in a city with an operations office. It's probably a good time in the industry for pursuing this. Best of luck.

Back