Addition of Flaps in a Turn...

[ QUOTE ]
ESF when you get the chance I'd like to hear it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, I'll put my attempt in a new post...

[ QUOTE ]

I still hesitate before adding flaps in a turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet both of those cases the aircraft was on final and not in a turn.

Unless it was a turning final.

So I was wondering did John send you an email and say Hey come to my rescue? or you just so happened to stumble across this one page out fo what 3.4 trillion web pages in cyber space?

Welcome nonetheless.

Why the hell do you guys care what John or anyone else does in their companies aircraft?

John, if you want to wait until final to add flaps then great. Thank you for your concern of safety.

You're all wrong. Who needs flaps anyway?
smile.gif

Everything that had to be said was said...
It is just a question of personal preference; it is not dangerous to lower flaps in a turn, (most of the airlines that I know do not disapprove this method), but if you don't want to, you don't have to. It has helped me in the past, and I don't see anything wrong with it, but if I am flying with a pilot who doesn't want to do it, there is nothing wrong with it either.

Another perspective.

For a solo student in a C152 it could be a danger. When you lower the flaps the airplane momentarily pitches up. When you are in a bank and add in flaps in a turn with a semi steep bank, the plane will be in a pitchin up and bank config, and the stall speed is higher then they could be expecting.

Just to simplify, take an C150 or similar into a 45 degree bank and pull back on the yoke. You will still at a higher speed. This is what could happen in a turn to a novice pilot, and then you could get into a tricky situation.

After flying for four different airlines and numerous types of aircraft, here's my input:

Different airlines have different procedures for such actions as simple as flap selection and when to select them. And those procedures may differ from the various fleets within a specific airline. Depending upon the airline you fly for and the type of aircraft you fly...your procedure may be different from another guy's.

At one major airline where I flew B727's it was a big NO-NO to extend flaps in a turn, unless it was absolutely critical. The reason: the 727 is engineered with inboard and outboard flaps that are not interconnected and are powered by separate hydraulic systems. The possibility of a flap asymmetry was distinct. The effect of such asymmetry in the 727 was severe. Having flown that asymmetry profile in the simulator, I can say that I could barely recover from the roll if I was pre-established in the turn...(sometimes I could not recover with full control inputs)...and that was when I knew it was coming in advance. As a former 727 pilot...it was very important for the person selecting the flaps to monitor the flap position indicators...and at the first sign of an asymmetry you would immediately reconfigure the flaps to their last position.

At another major where I fly MD-88s...it is no big deal to extend flaps in the turn. The inboard and outboard flaps are bussed together by an interconnected torque tube and they are powered by identical hydraulic systems. The possibility of an asymmetry is remote. So there's no real need to prevent flap selection during turns.

I know of no FAR's that prevent flap selection in a turn...and you should consult your Aircraft Operating Manual for such restrictions. If there are no restrictions, then use your best judgement. As an airman, you should be prepared for a flap asymmetry whenever a flap selection is made...and be ready to counter such asymmetry if needed.

Absolutely,
There you go, this is exactly what everybody had been saying, and you summurized it well.
Refer to the POH, or company procedures, or self confidence, and decide if you can, then want to do it.
I agree it is, or could be harmfull, but then again so is flying.

Back