Acronyms and Glossary of Terms!

Re: Anagrams and Glossary of Terms!

Palm Springs is no longer up/down. SCT took their approach airspace a few months ago.

SKW - Skywest
QXE - Horizon Air
FFT - Frontier Flight
COA - Continental
ASA - Alaska
CAL - Dynasty
AFR - Air France
AMT - oops uhh AAH... aah!

Anyone feel like rambling off the airline ICAO codes for the newbie?

Just off the top of my head:

SWA- Southwest Airlines
DAL- Delta Airlines
EGF- Eagle Flight
MEP- Midwest Airlines
UAL- United Airlines
NWA- Northwest Airlines
COM- Comair
JAL- Japan Airlines
JBU- Jetblue
ASH- Airshuttle (Mesa)
FDX- FedEx
UPS- UPS (duh!!!)
FRL- Freedom Airlines
BAW- British Airways
VRD- Virgin America

That's what I came up with off the top of my head... anyone wanna add to it? OH!! Anyone wanna list the CALLSIGNS for the airlines?! That's a lot of fun to do!!! :panic: All stuff that has to be memorized while you're at OKC!!!

EGF- American Eagle (Eagle Flight)
MEP- Midwest Airlines (Midex)
JAL- Japan Airlines (Japanair)
BAW- British Airways (Speedbird)
VRD- Virgin America (Redwood)

Here's a little easier way to learn operators and aircraft types by using flightaware.com

http://flightaware.com/live/fleet/

It shows all operators by count (how many are actively in the ATC system on an IFR flight plan) and their prefix (AAL for American etc) You will need to learn these prefixes.

You can also use http://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/

The codes in the middle column are what need to be learned since that is what will show on the data block in the ATC system

PUBNAT1 FEBOTS "February"... etc etc
PUBNAT2 APEOTS
PUBNAT3 MAYOTS
PUBNAT4 JUNROTS
PUBNAT5 JEWLOTS

adoad6.png

This is just cruel...

Can't Forget these:

CTI - College Training Initiative
VRA - Veterans Re-alignment Act
VET - Veterans Preference

The Pentagon even has an acronym for it's book of acronyms:

GOAT (the Glossary Of Acronyms and Terms)

for those of you going to an up/down facility become familiar with the term ROHA

I guess no one was successful getting the name of this thread edited.

Fingers on a chalkboard. :whatever:

gruselfigur_06.gif

[modhat]If you want something changed, REPORT IT. We can't possibly read every thread, if something needs attention please use the report feature. Someone finally reported it, that's how we finally noticed it![/modhat]

is it me or does every thread in the ATC section get reported?

It appears to be only the one's you post to. I kid I kid... and now a word from our sponsor...

get-to-the-choppa.jpg

I know that has nothing to do with what is being talked about, but it made me laugh and pee a little.

I "reported" this one because it's the only way to get the mod's attention when you want something done :) And I was tired of the anagrams dagnabit

[modhat]If you want something changed, REPORT IT. We can't possibly read every thread, if something needs attention please use the report feature. Someone finally reported it, that's how we finally noticed it![/modhat]

I tried changing it myself.. but I guess it didn't work :(

Hehehe.. I peed a little too when I saw the picture above too. har har har

Re: ATC Acronyms/Definitions

Alrighty then, let's see how much I can remember... lol, probably not much. I may not get these 100% but I have no doubt I will be corrected. ;)

PUBNAT#- Public National Announcement. The FAA has been posting openings for employment for the general public who are interested in becoming Air Traffic Controllers. The job title would indicate PUBNAT followed by a number. The PUBNATs started with 1 in 2008 and have continued approximately every month, currently at PUBNAT6 which opened in August.

OTS- Off The Street. An OTS applicant is one who generally has had no previous ATC experience or training. These applicants apply to PUBNAT job openings targeted to the general public.

FEBOTS- A term coined as a nickname to the original applicants to PUBNAT1, which opened in February 2008. FEB = February OTS = Off the Street.

TOL- Tentative Offer Letter. A TOL is received by applicants as a job offer which is tentative pending background investigations, medical evaluations and psychological review. The TOL typically includes your facility, Academy Pay (with locality), facility pay (with locality). The TOL also in a sense freezes your age as you must start your career as an ATC before you 31st birthday, by receivng a TOL before your 31st birthday you may actual begin Academy after your 31st birthday.

FOL- Firm Offer Letter. This is your final letter of job offer which typically includes your start date at Academy.

ARTCC- Air Route Traffic Control Center. Also called 'En Route' and 'Center'.

GEO PREFs- Geographical Preferences. Once an applicant qualifies after the AT SAT, they are sent an invite to submit their preferences of work type and state. Applicants are sent an email with a link to a website which they log into and select two states and whether they wish to work in En Route or Tower. If a large state is selected there is a box in which are able to type in specific counties you are willing to work. Typically applicants are given 4 weeks to complete their preferences.

AT SAT- Air Traffic Selection And Training. Once an applicants ASAP application meets the minimum standards set forth in the job announcement they are authorized to take the AT SAT which is an all day "test" of various ability, none of which are directly related nor require any previous experience in aviation or air traffic.

ASAP- Automated Staffing and Application Process. This is the system applicants use to submit applications for open announcements at the faa.gov job site.

MMPI- Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory. One of the most frequently used personality tests in mental health. This test is used by trained professionals to assist in identifying personality structure and psychopathology. All applicants for Air Traffic Control are required to take this test of 372 questions and succesfully "pass" review of your results.

ATC- Air Traffic Control

Back