Accepting PEPC

drumpet

I have a predicament.

I really don't want to go to the position that was offered me, but HR has said that I could potentially get this changed at the interview as the facility is not set in stone.

The problem is, in order to go to the PEPC I have to accept the offer for the facility that I don't want to go to. This means that the only reason I'd be accepting the offer is to try and get my facility changed at the interview.

This seems like it could have some negative repurcussions. Does accepting an offer for this location affect my chances to be reconsidered in Pubnat4, Pubnat5? What are the other repurcussions?

Accepting the offer to the PEPC is not the final step. I would say accept the offer to the PEPC, get that stuff out of the way. Ask to be changed to a new facility and wait for your FOL. If they have the facility that you do not want on your FOL, decline it. Make sure you keep applying to the new announcements. At the very lease, in the future, all you'd have to do for a new announcement is accept another FOL.

Quit wasting people's time. You don't wan't to go to a facility...decline it. Someone else would be glad to go. It was a nationwide application. Going to a Pepc...takes up a slot for someone else that wants to go. Accepting a job that you don't want means that someone else who would be happy to go to that facility doesn't get it.

I bet accepting a facility...only to turn it down will look real good.:sarcasm:

You applied to the FAA for a job...either you want it or you don't. Quit trying to fudge the system.

Quit wasting people's time. You don't wan't to go to a facility...decline it. Someone else would be glad to go. It was a nationwide application. Going to a Pepc...takes up a slot for someone else that wants to go. Accepting a job that you don't want means that someone else who would be happy to go to that facility doesn't get it.

You applied to the FAA for a job...either you want it or you don't. Quit trying to fudge the system.

Wow, I definitely disagree with you. Not many of us signed up to simply "accept a job". If I wanted that, I'd go work at Best Buy. When your future's involved, you'd be surprised how quickly things change.

Alas...

OP, I'd suggest calling and talking to your local hub manager/local coordinator, as well as the hub man. of the region you wish to work in. See what they can do for you. If you're only trying to switch from terminal to terminal, or center to center, it's definitely possible. Also, try contacting the facility manager of the place you wish to go to, sell yourself a bit, and see what they can do from their end. Also, talk to the Manager of Terminal Operations at the facility you wish to go to, as they're often the ones who give the interviews if one takes the non-PEPC route...

If the facility you wish to go to is short on controllers, your chance increases. If you're close to 31, your chance increases.

Just talk to EVERYONE of stature that you can, and be humble and determined for the job. It's possible; it just takes social greasing with the right folk.

I'd suggest not accepting a TOL, only to try to get out of it, as that's rather unfair...and I'd strongly recommend getting this done before you even attend, if possible.

haha...tellin it like it is...and people think i can be a jerk on the forum. (im not calling you a jerk because i agree with you). i have a friend who cant go to the KC pepc because all the spots are taken. people should accept the offer and go the NON PEPC route and try to talk to the facility when you get there..

Wow, I definitely disagree with you. Not many of us signed up to simply "accept a job". If I wanted that, I'd go work at Best Buy. When your future's involved, you'd be surprised how quickly things change.

So what you are saying is.... You the applicant should tell the FAA where they should offer you a job after they already offer you a job. Makes perfect sense.:sarcasm: Last time I checked, even Best Buy tells you where in their store they want you to work. You accept the job or you don't. Same with the FAA. If you don't like it...take a hike. It's simple....accepting a job and trying to get out of it once you are at your Pepc is deceitful. You have your opportunity now to decline it. Every Pepc email you received asks you if you are still interested in this position.

And as far as the comment "When your future's involved, you'd be surprised how quickly things change". Shouldn't you have been thinking about your future and where you could end up when you applied...or put in Preferences (and they are just that). There was a time that the FAA told you where you were going after you completed the academy.. Consider your self lucky... now you don't have to waste anyones time including yourself because you can decline now.:laff:

I have spoken. Straight Talk Express.:bandit:

It's simple....accepting a job and trying to get out of it once you are at your Pepc is deceitful.

1). Last I knew, you don't "accept" any position until you sit there and sign your TOL.

2). Many, many applicants don't even know where they're going (except within which state) until they attend the PEPC, so I highly doubt they should be held liable for declining beforehand, unless they put down an entire state they did not want.

Shouldn't you have been thinking about your future and where you could end up when you applied...or put in Preferences (and they are just that). Consider your self lucky... now you don't have to waste anyones time including yourself because you can decline now.
Tell that to the guy who applied for FL, and received TN.

Please don't be grotesquely righteous. It doesn't say anywhere on the application that one has to be willing to move, or that they could receive a facility in another state than what they put.

1). Last I knew, you don't "accept" any position until you sit there and sign your TOL.

2). Many, many applicants don't even know where they're going (except within which state) until they attend the PEPC, so I highly doubt they should be held liable for declining beforehand, unless they put down an entire state they did not want.

1). This is straight from my initial letter stating I had been chosen for further consideration, "Congratulations! You have been chosen for further consideration...The next step in the process is for you to decide if you would like to accept or decline this offer and if you accept which procedure you would like to use to complete your pre-employment processing. Your options are"

2). I believe that only the PUBNAT1'ers didn't know specifically where they were going in their state until the PEPC. It looks like both terminal and en route people for PUBNAT2 were told which facility had chosen them in either their first or second email.

1. Decide if you would like to accept or decline this offer. If you decide to decline the ATCS position being offered, let us know. This decision must be in writing. If you want to discuss issues related to your future eligibility for other facilities, you need to contact the Aviation Careers Division at 405.954.####.

2. EVERY PUBNAT2 knows the EXACT facility they were chosen for if they were selected.

3. I take it you are out of the loop and aren't getting these emails. Your Avatar is fitting... You Dunno.

1. Decide if you would like to accept or decline this offer. If you decide to decline the ATCS position being offered, let us know. This decision must be in writing. If you want to discuss issues related to your future eligibility for other facilities, you need to contact the Aviation Careers Division at 405.954.####.

2. EVERY PUBNAT2 knows the EXACT facility they were chosen for if they were selected.

3. I take it you are out of the loop and aren't getting these emails. Your Avatar is fitting... You Dunno.

Hey Genius, I'm from PUBNAT3. :laff:

So glad that I'm not you right now.

Also, pasted from the PUBNAT2 thread:
"NOTE: We are not authorized to release the facility you have been assigned so you will need to wait until you receive the tentative job offer."

Hey Genius, I'm from PUBNAT3. :laff:

So glad that I'm not you right now.

Also, pasted from the PUBNAT2 thread:
"NOTE: We are not authorized to release the facility you have been assigned so you will need to wait until you receive the tentative job offer."

no worries.. I saw that you were from PubNat3... That's why I am going to take it easy on you. Everyone in Pub2 has been told what facility they are selected for. Right now is the time to accept it or decline it. They have told us who to contact if we don't want the offer and what to do if we want to accept the offer. I realize you didn't know this. I honestly think you would give the OP different advice if you were presented all of the info PUB2 people have in front of us...

The Op was offered a select position. If he wants a different one he is advised to turn this one down and call aviation careers...who will in turn tell him to reapply for further consideration.

Finally, I may have come off as a cranky ass in the posts above... It's been a long wait for all of us.:panic:

Thanks for the Genius complement... I get that a lot.

Actually, I have not been advised by aviation careers to decline if I do not want the position.

I have been told (BY HR) to go to the PEPC and communicate this to the interviewer. In fact, the other people I've talked to have said the same thing. It seems like a bad idea to me, and counterproductive. That's why I'm asking the question on here.

To those saying that I'm lucky to get a position and the FAA doesn't have to listen to my preferences, I disagree. While they are free to offer whatever they want, it should be a mutual road. I want to work for them, and in turn think I will do a fantastic job and put a tremendous amount of effort into the job. They want competent employees, and to meet their staffing needs.

What's frustrating is that I know that my preferences matched up with MANY understaffed facilities that I could have been placed at. I got a position that I clearly communicated I was not interested in going to in the comments box on my geographic preferences. Obviously out of a CRITICAL staffing need, but if I'm not going to go there wouldn't it to helpful to go somewhere else where I could help staffing AND be happy?

I'm too young to commit myself to a facility that I don't want to be in, and I think that's perfectly fine. I have a good college degree, and even have another job offer right now. I want to go to the FAA because it is something I feel that I would really enjoy, and be able to commit myself to. But I'm not going just for the job, I'm going for potential love for the job. The type of facility that I was offered does not correspond to my love for the job. But that doesn't mean I want to just abandon the possibility of working this job. If I decline, I risk not getting selected again/losing seniority/etc. So I want to try and understand exactly what's going on in this process.

I just think that we all have the same desire for the job, and just because it worked out for someone doesn't mean that it worked out for the next person. And if you hadn't gotten what you were seeking, you might be exploring options to get it changed as well.

My .02.

1).
Please don't be grotesquely righteous. It doesn't say anywhere on the application that one has to be willing to move, or that they could receive a facility in another state than what they put.

Exact quotes from the application you applied with...

"Upon successfully completing training & passing all required evaluations you may be given a permanent appointment at an air traffic control facility nationwide. You will be provided an opportunity to identify which locations you are interested (not guaranteed to be offered your 'preference') in working at a later date. POSITIONS ARE LOCATED throughout the Nation, in Puerto Rico, in Guam, and also in the Virgin Islands."

"To be considered applicants should selected "UNITED STATES" and "THROUGHOUT THE NATION" for their location preference. Duty locations/facilities assignments will be determined at a later date."

I've highlighted 'key' words for the slower understanding people on this forum... Does it say that you 'have to be willing to move?' No, but it says your duty assignment can be anywhere in the Nation, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Virgin Islands. It is pretty clear, to me, that you can be given 'a facility in another state than what you put.' If you don't want the position, then decline it and expect to wait a long time especially since there are roughly 4,000 applicants every month...

Actually, I have not been advised by aviation careers to decline if I do not want the position.

I have been told (BY HR) to go to the PEPC and communicate this to the interviewer. In fact, the other people I've talked to have said the same thing. It seems like a bad idea to me, and counterproductive. That's why I'm asking the question on here.

To those saying that I'm lucky to get a position and the FAA doesn't have to listen to my preferences, I disagree. While they are free to offer whatever they want, it should be a mutual road. I want to work for them, and in turn think I will do a fantastic job and put a tremendous amount of effort into the job. They want competent employees, and to meet their staffing needs.

What's frustrating is that I know that my preferences matched up with MANY understaffed facilities that I could have been placed at. I got a position that I clearly communicated I was not interested in going to in the comments box on my geographic preferences. Obviously out of a CRITICAL staffing need, but if I'm not going to go there wouldn't it to helpful to go somewhere else where I could help staffing AND be happy?

I'm too young to commit myself to a facility that I don't want to be in, and I think that's perfectly fine. I have a good college degree, and even have another job offer right now. I want to go to the FAA because it is something I feel that I would really enjoy, and be able to commit myself to. But I'm not going just for the job, I'm going for potential love for the job. The type of facility that I was offered does not correspond to my love for the job. But that doesn't mean I want to just abandon the possibility of working this job. If I decline, I risk not getting selected again/losing seniority/etc. So I want to try and understand exactly what's going on in this process.

I just think that we all have the same desire for the job, and just because it worked out for someone doesn't mean that it worked out for the next person. And if you hadn't gotten what you were seeking, you might be exploring options to get it changed as well.

My .02.

Amen.

Exact quotes from the application you applied with...

"Upon successfully completing training & passing all required evaluations you may be given a permanent appointment at an air traffic control facility nationwide. You will be provided an opportunity to identify which locations you are interested (not guaranteed to be offered your 'preference') in working at a later date. POSITIONS ARE LOCATED throughout the Nation, in Puerto Rico, in Guam, and also in the Virgin Islands."

"To be considered applicants should selected "UNITED STATES" and "THROUGHOUT THE NATION" for their location preference. Duty locations/facilities assignments will be determined at a later date."

I've highlighted 'key' words for the slower understanding people on this forum... Does it say that you 'have to be willing to move?' No, but it says your duty assignment can be anywhere in the Nation, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Virgin Islands. It is pretty clear, to me, that you can be given 'a facility in another state than what you put.' If you don't want the position, then decline it and expect to wait a long time especially since there are roughly 4,000 applicants every month...

Mine do not say that; I just reviewed them.

"You will be provided an opportunity to identify which locations you are interested in working at a later date. POSITIONS ARE LOCATED throughout the Nation, in Puerto Rico, in Guam, and also in the Virgin Islands."

To me, that means, "We have positions available everywhere", not, "Start packing for Guam".

Also, Robert, where do you work, if you don't mind me asking? Everything you post is so vehemently negative and not helpful.

Everything you post is so vehemently negative and not helpful.

I know that we're supposed to help each other out on this board. But there are tough choices involved. Wyopoke and Robert have made some valid points.

No one is forcing Drumpet to work in a place he doesn't want to. He can decline and try his hand at other PUBNATs down the road. If he does this, he'll probably get a facility he wants. But if he strings the FAA along by going to PEPC with no intention of working at his original duty station, then there a little bit of deception involved. He's not only be wasting their time, which they'll be sure to love, but he's taking the slot of another person who would be willing to go.

P.S. Word on another forum goes that if you have an interview for an en-route position, pass it, then turn down the position, you will have a much higher chance of being selected again, and won't need to be re-interviewed for either an en-route OR terminal position.

However, if you interview for a terminal position, it's only good for terminal, so if you want a center, you'd be completely wasting your time...

Hope this helps.

I believe the interviewer does have the ability to change your assignment. Before my interview (I did a local interview) I was asking questions of my interview coordinator and she said the interviewer can do one of 3 things based on my interview: 1) Recommend me for the facility I was chosen for, 2) Recommend me for a different facility, or 3) Not recommend me for anything. Maybe the PEPC is different, but I suspect that it's the same since they seem to have standardized everything.

I know that we're supposed to help each other out on this board. But there are tough choices involved. Wyopoke and Robert have made some valid points.

No one is forcing Drumpet to work in a place he doesn't want to. He can decline and try his hand at other PUBNATs down the road. If he does this, he'll probably get a facility he wants. But if he strings the FAA along by going to PEPC with no intention of working at his original duty station, then there a little bit of deception involved. He's not only be wasting their time, which they'll be sure to love, but he's taking the slot of another person who would be willing to go.

Thank you for getting what we are saying. If you don't want the location offered, then don't accept it or continue on if you have no intention of accepting that facility. The FAA does not care if you accept it or not because they will find someone who is willing to do the job and do it just as well.

Back