Accelerating at 10,000'

Does that mean you can’t run over square anymore too?
Man, you didn’t like ditching that primitive EFIS40 crap for something newer?

The first run Apex was kind of a pain. I was pretty happy with the 530/430 stack in the old one, but I only flew the NG for a handful of hours, it probably would have grown on me with a little more time.

The first run Apex was kind of a pain. I was pretty happy with the 530/430 stack in the old one, but I only flew the NG for a handful of hours, it probably would have grown on me with a little more time.
I’d believe that. It’s pretty solid now. I still like a couple things about Chelton better tho.

I’d believe that. It’s pretty solid now. I still like a couple things about Chelton better tho.

I like the Chelton, but every update I'm terrified this is going to pop up one day

missing-operating-system-11.png

I like the Chelton, but every update I'm terrified this is going to pop up one day

missing-operating-system-11.png
Apex has synthetic vision now-but without highway in the sky it’s not as useful. It also drives me nuts how the terrain map on the MFD looks the same whether you’re up in the FLs or about to CFIT-the gray/olive/brown terrain on the MFD is a great feature on the Chelton.

Apex has synthetic vision now-but without highway in the sky it’s not as useful. It also drives me nuts how the terrain map on the MFD looks the same whether you’re up in the FLs or about to CFIT-the gray/olive/brown terrain on the MFD is a great feature on the Chelton.

Considering it's age, the Chelton really is amazing. But if I'm completely honest ...

via Imgflip Meme Generator

If you take it out I know several people who will snap it up.

I've only got 7-9 years before overhaul so I'm just gonna run it until it implodes. If I can get away with a pair of hot sections and run past TBO I might look into avionics, but a lot's probably gonna change between now and then.

Last edited:
You have a profile that you are supposed to fly for almost every part of a flight. All I'm saying is there should be some precision in the acceleration at 10,000 feet.

I never flew the 1900 in the NE. But I did go from instructing in a Cirrus to hand flying a 727 on arcing VOR approaches at 4AM in Mexico. Different but same. I love having the autopilot now but I've seen the other side.
The real men fly it at 330AM.

What is the expectation or rule with regards to climb rate as you accelerate at 10,000 feet? AIM 4-4-10 part d. mentions climbing at 500 to 1550 fpm the last 1000 feet of climb. It mentions that leveling off at 10,000 feet to slow on descent is OK. It also says that if you can't maintain a 500 fpm climb or descent to let ATC know.

At my first airline we were instructed to get the nose down and get to 310 knots by 11,000 feet. The check airman would give you a bit of grief if you didn't do it. At the second airline I noticed many pilots just kind of waffling up to climb speed. Sometimes we wouldn't reach 290 until 15,000 feet. It drove me nuts. Today, at the third and final shop, I lowered the nose at 10k to accelerate. I was doing anywhere from 400 to 700 fpm climb. ATC got a little testy and asked if I had leveled off. I checked all our manuals and the FAR/AIM and couldn't find an expectation other than those listed above. Thoughts, feelings, and opinions on the matter?
My thought is that you and others are making something simple, way harder than it needs to be.

Back