AA recalling 24 pilots in FEB 09

Firebird2XC

===================================================

"This is APA Communications Committee member First Officer Scott Shankland with the APA Information Hotline for Friday, Jan. 9. Well, this first week of 2009 has had APA headquarters teeming with positive activity. The following are the highlights.

RECALLS TO RESUME IN FEBRUARY: In more good news this week, AMR announced its intention to recall 24 furloughed pilots in February. Base and aircraft assignments are not yet available. While management will not commit to further recalls, we anticipate a similar recall class for March."

===================================================

Pulled this off another board. Pardon the cross-pollination, but it seems legit enough.

Good news for AA crews and AE crews alike. With over 600 Eagle Captains holding AA numbers, the possibility of AA recalls eventually generating list movement at AE exists. It might take a while, but it's a good omen, nonetheless.

Word is some Eagle CA will get a class date before some of the furloughed guys.

Aaaaah yes. The Eagle/TWA recall integration thing. I'm curious how that would ratio out.

I'm also curious if the Eagle guys can decline flow. That's still being debated, I understand.

I flew with one numbered CA the other day who's retiring soon. Apparently his AA number retires with him. A pity. Either way, it's a number above you and I, no worries.

Certainly good news.

The funny thing about recalls is that if they recall 24, it'll probably go down as far as several hundred because a lot of folks have found other employment and choose to bypass recall until their commitments are up or they're confident they won't get the dreaded double-furlough.

AA has a VERY liberal recall policy. Those guys can defer recall for literally YEARS. It's a heck of a nice deal.

Certainly good news.

The funny thing about recalls is that if they recall 24, it'll probably go down as far as several hundred because a lot of folks have found other employment and choose to bypass recall until their commitments are up or they're confident they won't get the dreaded double-furlough.

Like Zap said, you can defer a recall for years at AA. I wonder at what point they'll say 'no more' and start drawing in new hires and/or flowthroughs?

Interesting times abound.

I think you can bypass recall for up to 10 years at Southernjets.

I think it is 10 years deferral at S.J.I.

I've been furloughed 6 years this past October, the years go fast....

Certainly good news.

The APA says that recalls have been running 4 calls to get 1 pilot to accept. UAL's acceptance rate was similar.

Sounds about right.

Memories of fallen friends getting on the SNRL! :)

What's funny is that AA had a recall acceptance rate of 75% during the last round of F/A recalls.

Part of the rationalizing of only having 5 years recall rights for F/As is that "after a few years, no one would want to come back anyway".... Well that acceptance rate proves them wrong. These recallees were people who'd been gone almost the entire 5 years. 75% acceptance, yeah, no one wants to come back.... :rolleyes:

Moot point for me. My recall rights expired 15OCT07, my furlough date was 15OCT02. Unless some act of Congress demands that AA fully restore the seniority list, there will be no recall for me.

My life situation at the moment prevents me from doing a job with a schedule like that. It will not be like this forever though. I doubt that I will ever be a 121 F/A again. Corporate, maybe, but not 121. I would consider going back in a training dept or management capacity perhaps.

Ultimately I would like to finish up my ratings and get my A&P... one step at a time :)

US Airways had the same or worse results with regard to recalls. The bad news there was that you could pass recall on the way down the list... but not on the way back up.

I believe they hit my number on the way back down in August of 2007 and by late October 2007 I had the "take it or leave it" letter.

Wow! 1.2% of the furloughees. That'll make a dent.

As always, you're a real ray of sunshine. Who put the sandpaper in your underwear, anyways? :crazy:

It's not the size of the movement that counts.. it's that it started.

I quote the always-appropriate Robert Heinlein:

"Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events."

:p

Wow! 1.2% of the furloughees. That'll make a dent.

If the rate of recall acceptance is what it had been in the past (as PCL_128 also mentioned) it could take inviting 4-5% back then. That is at least a bit more of a sizeable chunk.

I don't know nearly as many people in the aviation community that more seasoned pilots do but even I can think of three different AA furloughees that I've met in the past two years, and all three of them are employed at other airlines. When they do accept recall to AA (all three I speak of are going to go back at some point) then three vacancies will open up at the places they currently fly for. That is equally good news.

Bill's TWA classmate M--- that stayed at TWA and got AAssimilated and furloughed is flying 747s for JALways. He says he plans to go back to AA when recalled. He was Flagship (Eagle) before going to TWA so he was re-issued his old AMR employee number upon return into the AMR system (once you get an AMR employee number, you keep it for life, even if you cease & re-start employement). Therefore his number doesn't "look" like the other TWA peoples' numbers and he heard some "interesting" comments from people who would make comments not knowing he was TWA.

Back