AA Jumpseat Procedural Clarification

The fact that American requires the jumpseat listing via the internet is despicable. Sometimes we are running and we cannot use a computer or get decent data connection on our smartphones. American is the ONLY carrier I have ever had an issue riding on. A gate agent threatened to have me arrested if I didn't gate-check my bag. Tramp.

It is a bologna policy which the "new American" better not adopt.

I'm sorry...I don't know why this policy boils my blood soo much.

The fact that American requires the jumpseat listing via the internet is despicable. Sometimes we are running and we cannot use a computer or get decent data connection on our smartphones. American is the ONLY carrier I have ever had an issue riding on. A gate agent threatened to have me arrested if I didn't gate-check my bag. Tramp.

It is a bologna policy which the "new American" better not adopt.

I'm sorry...I don't know why this policy boils my blood soo much.

Same could be said of airlines that require you to call and talk to someone to list. Sometimes you're running and can't get a good signal. The way I look at it is I'm hitching a ride on their metal, so whatever they're policy is, I just roll with it. If I don't like it, I find another way home/to work. I've used AA a couple of times between MCO and JFK. Never had issues. I've called and gotten listed, then when that went away, I used ID90 to book and I've used MyIDTravel. By far, I like MyIDTravel the best of the three. I'm not on hold an undetermined amount of time, the website isn't jacked up on mobile like ID90 could be, and it's fast with a confirmation number right then and there. Basically, what this all boils down to is "people fear change."

[quote="kellwolf, post: 2231288, member: 1274"Basically, what this all boils down to is "people fear change."[/quote]

Yes and no. USAirways has always allowed you to walk up to the gate and list, which, I think you'd agree, is the most convenient and easiest way of doing it. Anything that involves having to go to a website or pick up the phone is a step backwards in convenience.

[quote="kellwolf, post: 2231288, member: 1274"Basically, what this all boils down to is "people fear change."

Yes and no. USAirways has always allowed you to walk up to the gate and list, which, I think you'd agree, is the most convenient and easiest way of doing it. Anything that involves having to go to a website or pick up the phone is a step backwards in convenience.[/quote]
I prefer to list online vs. at the gate 100% of the time, but then again I also list either the night before or have a smartphone so I can do it while away from the computer.

It's a crapshoot whether you get an agent that wants to list you and isn't pissed at the world while doing so. The other day I had a guy who actually said "You actually waited until I was busy to come over here, didn't you?". Whatever.

I guess I figure how convenient it is for an offline guy to jumpseat isn't too high on management's "to do" list. Sure, it's convenient to walk up to the gate and list, but people raving because they have to go to a website and list for a free flight comes off as pretty pompous and entitled. Same people would blast a customer for behaving that way.

Jetblue is probably my least favorite. You call reservations and have your junpseater number ready yet they still ask you multiple questions despite having the number. It's ridiculous.

Jetblue is probably my least favorite. You call reservations and have your junpseater number ready yet they still ask you multiple questions despite having the number. It's ridiculous.
Get a TrueBlue account. Problem solved. That's what I did when I was at Pinnacle. Some guys had bad luck with the Jumpseat number thing, but I just had a TrueBlue account. Used that number, and unless I got a brand new reservations agent, I gave them that, my crew info and what flight I wanted to be listed for done and done. Also let me check in on the mobile app. Can't tell you how many Delta guys gave me the "drop dead" look because I checked in 24 hours in advance, and they checked in at the gate.

For those not in the know, jetBlue jumpseat priority is by time of check in.

Get a TrueBlue account. Problem solved. That's what I did when I was at Pinnacle. Some guys had bad luck with the Jumpseat number thing, but I just had a TrueBlue account. Used that number, and unless I got a brand new reservations agent, I gave them that, my crew info and what flight I wanted to be listed for done and done. Also let me check in on the mobile app. Can't tell you how many Delta guys gave me the "drop dead" look because I checked in 24 hours in advance, and they checked in at the gate.

For those not in the know, jetBlue jumpseat priority is by time of check in.

How does one get a TrueBlue account? I already have a number that is associated with my info. It just never seems to be needed. Appreciate the follow up. The crews have always been great it's the process that didn't make sense to me.

How does one get a TrueBlue account? I already have a number that is associated with my info. It just never seems to be needed. Appreciate the follow up. The crews have always been great it's the process that didn't make sense to me.

It's the same as the frequent flier account. I just signed up for it on jetblue.com. Next time I called, I used the TrueBlue number instead. First time I listed on jetBlue, this is what the reservations person suggested instead of the jumpseat number. I guess I got lucky and got one with a clue. :) Once I got through to a res agent, it normally took less than a minute from their answering the phone to getting a confirmation number. Hope that helps ya!

Reactions: Cav
For a couple of weeks I have been randomly getting error messages while trying to use myIDtravel. Says something like "internal airline error" or something like that when I try to confirm my listing. Got burned pretty bad last week. usually I can refresh it a few times and it will go through...not that night. It just wouldn't work. So when I got to the gate I explained the situation to the agent and she told me she couldn't do anything...so sorry. So I called the number and was on hold while the crew showed up, plane boarded and pushed. Bam, another awesome night in Chicago. Yeah, I was pissed.

Other than that I haven't had any problems with it.

Resurrecting this thread. I was just denied the JS on AA after I listed on myidtravel a week ago (which is how I always do it). The gate agent tells me unless I list with a specific code, I'm not allowed to ride up front. I told her I have listed and rode JS every time this way and she was first one to say I wasn't listed correctly. What really eats my *** about this is that the crew saw me (in uniform) at the desk and didn't check to see what the issue was as to why I couldn't get on. The gate agent decided to close the flight without even attempting to try another route. Ran across to the banjo terminal in DCA and got on SW with no issues considering it was a last minute listing. Another reason I hate commuting on "the new" American.

Resurrecting this thread. I was just denied the JS on AA after I listed on myidtravel a week ago (which is how I always do it). The gate agent tells me unless I list with a specific code, I'm not allowed to ride up front. I told her I have listed and rode JS every time this way and she was first one to say I wasn't listed correctly. What really eats my *** about this is that the crew saw me (in uniform) at the desk and didn't check to see what the issue was as to why I couldn't get on. The gate agent decided to close the flight without even attempting to try another route. Ran across to the banjo terminal in DCA and got on SW with no issues considering it was a last minute listing. Another reason I hate commuting on "the new" American.
Did you contact your JS coordinator? The only way this will change is if we communicate the problems. I guarantee you if other airlines start giving AA jump seaters an issue the problem will be solved very quickly. I think AA is the only airline with the issue, and I've had the same problem of trying to call and get listed but no luck.
From the ALPA website:
"The mission of the ALPA Jumpseat Council is to ensure that:
(1) Pilot-in-Command control over flight deck access and use of the jumpseat is not abrogated or undermined in any manner or under any circumstances,
(2) flight deck jumpseats are made available to all individuals authorized to use them, in accordance with PIC approval and federal requirements, and
(3) appropriate procedures, equipment, and training are used to protect the safety and security of the flight deck and jumpseat"

It seems AA is violating #1.

Did you contact your JS coordinator? The only way this will change is if we communicate the problems. I guarantee you if other airlines start giving AA jump seaters an issue the problem will be solved very quickly. I think AA is the only airline with the issue, and I've had the same problem of trying to call and get listed but no luck.
From the ALPA website:
"The mission of the ALPA Jumpseat Council is to ensure that:
(1) Pilot-in-Command control over flight deck access and use of the jumpseat is not abrogated or undermined in any manner or under any circumstances,
(2) flight deck jumpseats are made available to all individuals authorized to use them, in accordance with PIC approval and federal requirements, and
(3) appropriate procedures, equipment, and training are used to protect the safety and security of the flight deck and jumpseat"

It seems AA is violating #1.

Yes I immediately posted on my Union board and filled out a JS complaint form.

Back