A36 Jet-Prop!!

Boris, Thanks for that writeup. Is the roll sloppy, slow? I figure maybe both. I flew a plane once without ailerons and that seemed to be the feeling I got. Felt like the actual roll was lagging behind the control input.

More than anything it's just heavy. Once you get used to it, it's actually pretty responsive (not sloppy) if you're up to speed. However, the "feel" is all artificially provided through springs, which you can always sort of tell, plus at low speed the spoilers are marginally effective. It's the only plane I've ever flown where a serious crosswind gets more "exciting" as you slow down.

Minor complaint, though. For the most part I love it. It's certainly a very capable airplane, and economical too.

WacoFan said:
It seems that there are many airplanes out there with a "reputation".

And I always seem to want to fly them. I'll always regret not having any Aerostar time, for example. It might not be too late for me to get in to a Luscombe, though, although at this point it probably won't be till I'm old and grey. Here's to diamonds in the rough.

It's the only plane I've ever flown where a serious crosswind gets more "exciting" as you slow down.

So what is the proper crosswind technique? Just kick it over in the flare? I've heard it gets a little interesting if one tries to slip it with those draggy spoilerons...

In your opinion, what is it about this plane that has caught so many pilots off guard? You mentioned the King Air - so what sort of bad habits does that plane give a pilot that is transitioning to a MU2?

Solitaire. 320kts true. Actually seats 6. Don't know the field performance numbers, but I assure you they won't be an issue. Can be bought for a song. Doesn't require any do-it-yourself on the airplane you'll be flying in the flight levels.

Or even better (if slightly more ridiculous): Cheyenne 400LS. Reportedly 345kts true, FL380, plus all of the advantages above, except perhaps for the price.

When it's lottery winning time, don't compromise with bolt-ons.

Hey that's my picture:)

Alex.

I can't really describe it for you because it's all I've flown for over a year. The upshot is, yes it's different from a piston twin, but not to the degree that you need to poop your pants. I will say that at least it's a plane that was designed to have turbine power and it takes advantage of that power rather than wasting it dragging around too much wing. IMHO, it's a very well designed twin turboprop that gets too much bad press because dumbasses try to fly it like a kingair 90. If you fly it by the numbers, it's not only built like a brick outhouse (they take them to 300knots in japan, we don't because of silly birdstrike rules...er not that I'd know how it performs above 250...), but it is also a "pilot's airplane". If you can get used to the admittedly weird roll response, it's a totally predictable and friendly aircraft. And it hauls *#&$ ass on the power it has. For me the final analysis is that the Mitsi doesn't compromise. It doesn't demand Bob Hoover behind the stick, it just asks that you remain awake. What it gives back is oustanding performance, plus a certain je ne sais quoi one gains when lesser beings cover their ears when you come on the ramp and act like you're Evel Kenievl when you speak to them. Plus, by the by, I've never flown an easier plane to "land well". If you keep the nose up for even half a second, you'll squeak it. A++ to the mitsi from the admittedly slightly strange Pottsylvanian judge.

What's fun is that they're acting on reputation, whereas you know that you're just doing a job that they could do too, if they were so inclined. It's just an airplane like any other looking for a pilot who doesn't take third hand stupidity to be "knowledge". That's any of us. Don't be afraid of the mitsi or any other airplane anyone ever asks you to fly. If someone flew it before you, you can fly it, and someone will be able to fly it after you. It's nothing special, but it's fun for people to think that it is.

;)

Wait a minute Boris. I thought you flew the MU-2. You've just described the metro to the T..... Right down to the speed restriction of 250kts because of the wind screen! I've gone head to head in the metro against the MU-2 on a few occassions flying out of CYOW to KSYR. I have to call it a tie between the two on such a short leg. One time they got the best of me while other times ATC made me slow up to keep from running them over.:rawk:

And I always seem to want to fly them. I'll always regret not having any Aerostar time, for example. It might not be too late for me to get in to a Luscombe, though, although at this point it probably won't be till I'm old and grey. Here's to diamonds in the rough.

I am interested in them too. Ihave a couple of hours in a Swift - another maligned plane. Not nearly enough time in anything to say their reputations are earned or not...but it did seem like most of the reputations are not shared by people with experience in them. The only exception to this in my travels is the T-6 - reputation is that it is a bear, and people who fly them a lot tend to agree!

So what is the proper crosswind technique? Just kick it over in the flare? I've heard it gets a little interesting if one tries to slip it with those draggy spoilerons...

I like the "add power on the downwind engine" technique. I realize that in theory it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but as a wise man once said "In theory, theory is no different from practice, but in practice, it is". It's also important to use the trim. The trim is actually an aileron of sorts, so if you use it correctly, it will keep you from needing to spoil perfectly good lift. This is even more important in engine out situations, which brings us to your next question.

In your opinion, what is it about this plane that has caught so many pilots off guard? You mentioned the King Air - so what sort of bad habits does that plane give a pilot that is transitioning to a MU2?

Well, the accidents I know about are all fairly recent, and they mostly seem to involve either A) Stupid pilot tricks (like the guy who kept getting a fire warning light from what was probably a bad loop, but kept taking off and then returning...eventually he returned to a housing development under construction instead of an airport and wound up on the losing end of an argument with a bulldozer) and B) Engine out performance. I won't sugar-coat that particular issue. The thing is a bear with an engine out at low speed. Our SOP is rotate 100-110, accelerate to at least 120, then worry about climbing. The gear gets even draggier when it's retracting (big doors hanging out), so there is a brief period when you're extremely vulnerable should an engine take a vacation. If you're brave enough to take a chance, it can do insane things with flaps 40 and much lower rotation speeds, but I like to get fast and stay that way.

The major difference in the engine out drill is that the first thing you do is make sure the gear is up or in transit, then trim the ailerons, then trim the rudder, THEN identify, verify, feather, beta followup, checklist. This is because when you're already in marginal-performance land, you want the spoilers and gear doors to be stowed.

As to being "caught off guard", a lot of it has to do with the type of person who winds up flying it. The mu-2 is dirt cheap, which tends to attract a more "down-market" clientele (like me ;) ). In the past a lot of dudes with a wet private multi took a look at it and stepped up from their baron. No type rating required, so Joe Sixpack can buy one and fly it legally, but probably not wisely. Hence the whole SFAR debacle, which is grist for a different mill.

Plus, I just realized that I bloviating like an expert when I have just over a grand in the plane. This article explains everything I'm talking about much better:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gene...206.xml&headline=What''s Wrong With the MU-2?

Although let me add in response to the "expert" in the "foes" section that I've never had engine "burp", not once. The fuel system is actually ludicrously simple...if you can't manage an mu-2s fuel system, you probably run out of gas on the freeway. And it's no worse than a Baron in ice, except you have a lot more power and a lot more options about how to deal with it. Oh, and I've had occassion to land one with one spinny thing not spinning (bad fire loop). Total non-event.

KLB said:
I've gone head to head in the metro against the MU-2 on a few occassions flying out of CYOW to KSYR. I have to call it a tie between the two on such a short leg. One time they got the best of me while other times ATC made me slow up to keep from running them over.:rawk:

I'd give dollars to donuts that the difference is whether you're going up against an older three-blader or a Marquise/Solitaire. And whether it's a clapped out freighter or a shiny private plane. I plan about 255-260 for our J-models. Our (still relatively draggy, cargo-doored, escape-hatched, slightly clapped out) Marquises do maybe 275-280. A private Marquise will do probably 300, a Solitaire at least 310. There's a pretty wide range.

As to the mighty sewer-tube, it's definitely a man's plane. I read somewhere that it actually has a higher accident rate (maybe higher fatal, lower total, or vice-versa) than the mitsi, but for some (political) reason, the mitsi gets the unwanted spotlight. It's definitely another "marginal" airplane I'd like to fly someday, but only alone ;)

CitationKid said:
Hey that's my picture:)

It's a great shot. I actually looked around for a shot I thought captured the plane, didn't just paste the first thing that popped up. Well done.

WacoFan said:
I am interested in them too. Ihave a couple of hours in a Swift - another maligned plane. Not nearly enough time in anything to say their reputations are earned or not...but it did seem like most of the reputations are not shared by people with experience in them.

I find that's true in lots of things, not just aviation. I know at least that I'm not man enough for a T-6, though. One must know their limits. :)

Ok, sorry, hijack over.

This is a great thread!

plus a certain je ne sais quoi one gains when lesser beings cover their ears when you come on the ramp

There was a Bank Air MU-2 that used to follow me around on my old route - we'd meet up at BDL 3 times a night and I have to admit to hurrying in, shutting down as quick as I could, and running in the hanger to avoid that god-awful noise when he taxied in. :)

I
It's a great shot. I actually looked around for a shot I thought captured the plane, didn't just paste the first thing that popped up. Well done.

Haha thanks, if you ever come through Delaware let me know and I'll get you a little Aerostar time. It's a 601P, all original with chipped paint and no fancy GPS, so you'll feel right at home.

Alex.

This is a great thread!

There was a Bank Air MU-2 that used to follow me around on my old route - we'd meet up at BDL 3 times a night and I have to admit to hurrying in, shutting down as quick as I could, and running in the hanger to avoid that god-awful noise when he taxied in. :)

Thats the best thing about flying a plane with the Garretts. No matter what people are doing, they have to stop and cover their ears when I taxi onto the ramp. Thats what you call ramp presence. Everyone knows that I have arrived.:rawk:

Short Field T/O and Landing from an MU-2 to fit the theme. Cool Vid

[YT]1UxtO9LtSbg[/YT]

And an APP

[YT]DRjkPpNwrwE[/YT]

Thats the best thing about flying a plane with the Garretts. No matter what people are doing, they have to stop and cover their ears when I taxi onto the ramp. Thats what you call ramp presence. Everyone knows that I have arrived.:rawk:

So those Garrett engines are pretty loud huh? I dont think I've ever heard one that close yet....

Short Field T/O and Landing from an MU-2 to fit the theme. Cool Vid

[yt]1UxtO9LtSbg[/yt]

And an APP

[yt]DRjkPpNwrwE[/yt]

Nice Videos....

Yes. They're loud and beyond obnoxious. I was fueling aircraft on the ramp down in Blacksburg one time and one rolled up. I left my hearing protection inside (the airport comes to a near standstill for home football games, so I go out to fuel then). Big mistake...

It's a cool airplane, though. I always found it somewhat humourous that I had to fuel the aircraft in a specific way to keep it from tipping.

What airport is that in the youtube vid?

If I won Powerball, right after arranging a menage with Danika McKellar and Marrisa Tomei, I woud get an Antilles Goose.

Dude, a menage with WENDY COOPER would be great!!!!! I think she is a doctor or something these days and just got back into acting.

Dude, a menage with WENDY COOPER would be great!!!!! I think she is a doctor or something these days and just got back into acting.

Yeah...a menage with Winner Cooper and Mona Lisa Vito is pretty much my high water mark.

Winnie is a mathematician and has written some academic papers, as well as books geared to young girls to encourage math.

Yum.

Back