A319 and cold weather

MidlifeFlyer

I was at Jackson Hole skiing last week. Returning home Sunday, our departure was delayed. One of the engines on the Airbus A319 wouldn't start because it was the first flight of the day and it was "too cold." They called the company to get advice and eventually started up.

What's the story on this? Is this a common Airbus issue?

Too cold? IDK...probably more likely an APU or air cart issue. High altitude airport, cold air/oil temps combined with low air volume/pressure output could make it difficult to spin up the engine enough to get a light off. Also, they may have had a wind blowing up the tailpipe which doesn’t help. But, in their defense....probably just tell passengers it’s “too cold” since most believe that based on starting their car engine in the middle of winter rather than some long drawn out explanation.

I can tell you in DEN the Pratt’s on the MD11 (GE’s are much better) are painfully slow to spool regardless of outside conditions. Any of the above variables make it almost impossible. If I get one going I’ll usually just cross bleed start the other two.

I was at Jackson Hole skiing last week. Returning home Sunday, our departure was delayed. One of the engines on the Airbus A319 wouldn't start because it was the first flight of the day and it was "too cold." They called the company to get advice and eventually started up.

What's the story on this? Is this a common Airbus issue?

Heh, I had the exactly same experience in Jackson on a Airbus a couple years ago. First flight of the day, problem with one of the engines. Contract mx comes out and fixes it, go to spin the second engine, exact same problem. 2.5 hours delayed.

Heh, I had the exactly same experience in Jackson on a Airbus a couple years ago. First flight of the day, problem with one of the engines. Contract mx comes out and fixes it, go to spin the second engine, exact same problem. 2.5 hours delayed.
I realize that what the captain says over the PA is for passengers, but it sounded like it was common.

One of my friends is a dispatcher at AA and has sent extra fuel on several northern-bound Airbii to run the APU all night because of the temperatures. Not sure if it’s unique to some birds/some engines/etc.

I can think of a lot of things that can give an engine trouble, but simply being cold isn't one of them. I mean you take jet fuel and light it on fire inside the engine, and cold stops mattering at 600 degrees Celsius.

Now, it can take a while for the oil to warm up to the point of being functional, but that's the biggest problem I've had recently.

We generally run our APUs all night at certain cold weather stations.

They may have "oversimplified" the explanation.

Also, a warm Airbus is a happy Airbus.

We generally run our APUs all night at certain cold weather stations.

They may have "oversimplified" the explanation.

Also, a warm Airbus is a happy Airbus.
Ditto for anything Bombardier builds (ironically).

I spent New Year’s Day last year waiting for 3 hours for the emergency light batteries to charge after “a station” from “an air line” decided to not keep the airplane warm overnight, among other nuisance faults that went away once the ship was warmed up.

I realize that what the captain says over the PA is for passengers, but it sounded like it was common.
One of the hardest parts of being a captain, for me, was figuring out how much information was “just right.”

I usually simply kept it to “we have a mechanical problem with the plane, people are here / people are on their way / we are awaiting parts, here’s the time and I’ll be at the podium for a few minute if you have questions.”

If someone came up and asked and appeared conversationally fluent, I’d give them more details while still trying to not scare the beejezis out of them.

Ditto for anything Bombardier builds (ironically).

I spent New Year’s Day last year waiting for 3 hours for the emergency light batteries to charge after “a station” from “an air line” decided to not keep the airplane warm overnight, among other nuisance faults that went away once the ship was warmed up.

Ah, good ole CRJ emergency lights. Once waited 5 hours for them to charge from empty. The cleaners brilliantly decided it was easier to use them instead of external power to light up the cabin while on a RON (and forgetting to turn them off in the process).

Ah, good ole CRJ emergency lights. Once waited 5 hours for them to charge from empty. The cleaners brilliantly decided it was easier to use them instead of external power to light up the cabin while on a RON (and forgetting to turn them off in the process).
I still wake up sometimes at night going "BATTERY MASTER, EMERGENCY LIGHTS, CABIN ENTRANCE LIGHTS" in my head.

I still wake up sometimes at night going "BATTERY MASTER, EMERGENCY LIGHTS, CABIN ENTRANCE LIGHTS" in my head.

Ha! It took a while at our new employer for me to get used to leaving the ship powered up and ducking out before the last passengers are off. I think I have done a securing checklist 2-3 times, if that.

Ha! It took a while at our new employer for me to get used to leaving the ship powered up and ducking out before the last passengers are off. I think I have done a securing checklist 2-3 times, if that.

A HUGE part of my new hire training at my current place was muddling through powering up a cold dark airplane. Like, we spent days on that.

Number of times I've had to do that in the 3.5 years I've been here....zero.

A HUGE part of my new hire training at my current place was muddling through powering up a cold dark airplane. Like, we spent days on that.

Number of times I've had to do that in the 3.5 years I've been here....zero.
We flow the switches regardless, but I’ve never seen the thing cold and dark. I’ve secured twice, I think.

We run the APU all night if it’s below -15C to prevent early morning issues if possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back