A Summer Job or at least it's Experience

flyhi5

A Summer Job or at least it\'s Experience

Hey Everyone,

So after reading many responses about the GFA and paying for SIC time, I'm a little hesitent to write this. Regardless of what is said in response to this, though, I'm very very excited about this opportunity and look forward to my "summer job".

I'm just finishing up my junior year at James Madison University in Virginia. There is no aviation program here, so I've done all my flying on my own outside of school at SHD which is about 15 minutes from campus. So since my freshman year I've been lucky enough to get my ratings up through CFII/MEI. I've been teaching other JMU students flying and have even started the JMU Flight Club. The only problem I'm seeing right now is the industry.

Yes, I want to be an airline pilot. My Dad is with NWA on the A320. I look up to him in many ways and can't wait till it's me up there in the cockpit. (Doug don't read this
wink.gif
) he even calls me on the cell phone, and puts it down so i can hear all the calls being made as they take-off. So, I'm a little obsessed with flying. not a bad thing right? These dreams seem far off with the way the industry is looking now. So with virtually no students except a few here and there... and for sure no multi-students, i've decided in order to speed up my experience a little bit, to pay for flying in the right seat.

I did a lot of research on different SIC programs and was sure to not go to anything that looked like a scam and a rip-off. I found a great program offering twin/turbine time farely inexpensively. After weighing the options both good and bad, we decided that it would be a good investment. Sure we all have to pay our dues, but honestly, I'd love to graduate next year into a job doing "something besides flight instructing". and this is a quick 100 hours of twin time, where it at the rate i'm going now it might take another 3 years to get that.

hopefully, you'll see that I'm doing it for the great experience and to have something that'll look good on my reseme. so for a college summer, i'd say it's not a bad thing to do. what do you think?

R-S

Re: A Summer Job or at least it\'s Experience

Unless you have 1000tt and no multi, 100 hours of twin time (especially time you paid for as SIC) will with the addition of 50cents probably get you a cup of coffee and little else.
wink.gif

here's the deal with that. I have a year and a half left to go with school. I'm not going to be looking for a full-time job like that till then. at the end of this summer i'll have 800tt and about 160multi. i'll have 1000tt by the time i graduate....at least i hope
shocked.gif

Just wondering, what place did you go to, to get your time

There are places where you can still get paid to fly. One of the guys on this board just got hired right seat on the B1900 for the summer in Alaska. PFT SIC time is not goig to benefit you all that much. Keep in mind it's PFT and it's in an aircraft that many companies still fly solo. Even if you can't get paid there are even companies out there with internships that would give you the same experience no cost to you.

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you have 1000tt and no multi, 100 hours of twin time (especially time you paid for as SIC) will with the addition of 50cents probably get you a cup of coffee and little else.
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

"Starbucks" or "gas station"?
smile.gif

Flyhi5,
As you may have noticed, PFT is not very popular with many pilots.

I think that it will probably be good experience for you, but I wish that there was a better way for you to get that experience. Hopefully, this will open some doors for you.

Since you are the first pilot that I can recall on this board who has made that choice, I'd like to ask that you update us periodically with your progress. Let us know how the program works for you and it if does enhance your marketability when you complete it.

I'm not going to preach to you, but I will wish you good luck.

hey flyhi5

I was just reading your post, I am interested in these programs...what is the name of the place you found for SIC.

I was looking at eaglejet, tyleraviation etc....

thanks

[ QUOTE ]
hey flyhi5

I was looking at eaglejet, tyleraviation etc....

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh! Respect yourself man.

[ QUOTE ]
I was looking at eaglejet...

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, just give me $15,000!

I'll get you some Delta buddy passes, invite you over for a couple of beverages and it'll have about the same effect on your career!

And you'll save MONEY! Woo!

Ok, maybe I can cut you a deal at $9,000...

STAY FAR AWAY FROM TYLER AVIATION! I recently did a X_C from Dallas to Tyler just to get some time...and while I was at Tyler, I went over and checked out their operation (BTW they are called something else now)....well 3/4 of their students were from England, and they seemed very expensive. Not to mention the fact that you will spend 1/8th of your flught time taxiing to-from parking!

[ QUOTE ]
well 3/4 of their students were from England

[/ QUOTE ]

Definately a reason to stay away, I have heard they fly on the wrong side of the air! What a silly comment!

I don't know how it works in the US. But here in Canada most of the people who will interview you for a job are pilots and I don't know many pilots who tolerate PFT, if they find out you did it they will just open their drawer and pick another resume from their pile. Basically here you'd be considering stealing the job of someone who didn't skip steps. No good!

[ QUOTE ]
Definately a reason to stay away, I have heard they fly on the wrong side of the air!

[/ QUOTE ]

And say things like "colour", "theatre", "biscuits" (when they COOKIES), "tellie", "Mind the gap, please", "Bob's Yer Uncle" and "Tipper Jilly"

Run away, run FAR away!
smile.gif

...the place i'm going is based out of denver. Key Lime Air. A UPS Feeder Airline. it's very cheap compared to other places I looked into... and the metro's i'll be flying look to be in really good condition.

I was very weary about paying money to do this, so I jumped on a plane and flew out to Denver to look at the operation myself before I gave them anything. I must say from what I saw everything there is very nice. The planes are kept up very well (metro's). The facilities are very nice... and the operation as a whole was very profesional. Again, I know PFT is not very popular, but this will not only be a great experience flying the rockies but also a great networking opportunity.

So who cares if I don't have my 1000tt yet... by the time i graduate college (spring '04) i WILL have that plus more. There's no way i'm quitting school just for a flying job now other than flight instruction. So why not do this for a summer, build some turbine time...get some connections.... and have an amazing summer doing what I love most.... FLYING!!!!

I'll keep all of you updated on how things work out. Class starts the 12th for me, so expect something after that week.

Flyhi,

Just out of curiosity, how much does it cost you and how much flight time will you get to log?

wasn't directed at the students....but they do get priority over american student's...lighten up

Dude my comment was in good jest. I suggest you go and re-read your post; you mention (in caps none the less) to stay away from that school and give no good reason why.

[ QUOTE ]
There are places where you can still get paid to fly. One of the guys on this board just got hired right seat on the B1900 for the summer in Alaska.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is actually a full time job. It is a 135 operator now, but the 121 cert should be finalized by the end of summer.

Back