A nice, stable approach

Two comments here.......

1st Looks like any one of my landings on a calm wind day.

Or......

Are their uniform pants brown by design?

Looks like when doing new hire OE...

All kidding aside, I've landed in the simulator with 55kt crosswind...but in the real airplane, we're going elsewhere to land...cause 32kt max crosswind is the limit, and I'm not paid to be a test pilot with pax on board.

All kidding aside, I've landed in the simulator with 55kt crosswind...but in the real airplane, we're going elsewhere to land...cause 32kt max crosswind is the limit, and I'm not paid to be a test pilot with pax on board.
Limit or demonstrated?

“Maximum crosswind component approved for takeoff and landing on hard, dry or wet runway is 32 knots”. Memory Item

Aka...we own the plane/sign the paycheck, fly it as we prescribe in the FSM, right (@Derg )?

[Airline] pay, [Airline] way. Unless it's DL. Then it's [Air Line] pay, [Air Line] way. :biggrin:

That's the motto at the training department at my shop. Even when the manual's plain language interpretation is different from what the training department says it is... :rolleyes:

Not long before I left the ER, SJI changed the 757/767 Xwind to 40kts. You actually have to touch down in a crab, because you’ll drag a nacelle otherwise. Why 40? Because when Lajes is your only out, there is no going elsewhere.

Not long before I left the ER, SJI changed the 757/767 Xwind to 40kts. You actually have to touch down in a crab, because you’ll drag a nacelle otherwise. Why 40? Because when Lajes is your only out, there is no going elsewhere.

That's pretty cool to hear, actually...I can only imagine the view from the front doing a true 40kt xwind landing. :oops:

I love hearing how aircraft limits get extended by airlines wanting to do cool things with them...like the Dash 8's gear and flap altitude limit (15,000ft) is due to Horizon building a MLS approach into KSUN, with a 6 deg GP...had to be full configured prior to the FAF.

Or things like Eastern wanted the 757 to have steam gauges, but Boeing didn't want to do the extra work to make it happen (so the story goes)

Aka...we own the plane/sign the paycheck, fly it as we prescribe in the FSM, right (@Derg )?
While that is all well and good, we don't know every airline's policy.
I feel like we're using that as a cop out a lot lately in lieu of a greater understanding or any real technical discussion.

While that is all well and good, we don't know every airline's policy.
I feel like we're using that as a cop out a lot lately in lieu of a greater understanding or any real technical discussion.
Huh? The only discussion should be, Is the wind within the FCOM/FOM limit? Yes, let's land, No let's go somewhere else.

I still feel like I'm dragging fingernails down a chalk board when I land in the crab, even though that's how it's supposed to be in stronger crosswinds.

Huh? The only discussion should be, Is the wind within the FCOM/FOM limit? Yes, let's land, No let's go somewhere else.
Yes we should all aspire to be a better cog. But since I don't think any of us are flying while posting here, I just figured something more intelligent than well brand x has a 32kt limitation full stop. Maybe brand Y has 45kts and trains their crews uniquely for it. Maybe what is the demonstrated or manufacture limit/tested to speed. Or why the plane is good or sucks and has such a low limit.
I'm not saying we should ignore our published limitations at work, just that all this who writes the check stuff seems intellectually diminishing. Not really in the spirit of flying paper airplanes.
Maybe I'm just sitting on a train with nothing else to do at the moment.

Maybe I'm just sitting on a train with nothing else to do at the moment.

Yes about the train you are on, did you reach out to your union's travel committee and ask them about taking trains? Did the company ask you or did you ask to take the train? Remember if you lean to far forward you might fall over.

Because airport police doesn't take well to Americans filming airplanes.
TPA or TIA as the locals call it, has some great filming spots and thanks to the free parking (don't take that away). Anyone can spend a hour planespotting.

Back