A company email

Zapphod Beblebrox

Inventor of the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster
Just got this email yesterday. I will have to paraphrase because it is on the company network and that has the standard email security message:

NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the exclusive and confidential use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient, please do not read, distribute, or take action in reliance upon this message. If you have received this in error, please notify me immediately by return email and promptly delete this message and its attachments from your computer.

The message is from a new Flight Management position, Director of Pilot Development and Recruitment. The mission of this position is ensuring that American Airlines has a long term and continual supply of quality pilots.

The letter sates "for decades we have never had to truly recruit pilots." Our hiring activity was really just pilot selection from a large applicant database.

The message states that upon opening the hiring window in 2013 American Airlines had over 19000 qualified applicants and that now number of active applications that have been updated in the last 90 days is about 5000. The letter states that they believe this to be an accurate assessment of the available pilot pool.

Initiatives from this office will include:

1) Increase the pilot pool by developing new career resources for aspiring aviators and providing greater opportunities.

2) Actively engage in pilot recruiting. Long-term success calls for a recruiting presence in places such as high schools, colleges and civilian flight schools.

3) Design and administer professional pilot development (mentoring) for all stages of the pilot pipeline to....

4) Continue with the current mainline pilot selection process, adding enhancements along with way.....

The most important thing to note is that the company is spending money on this. That is previously unheard of, and these are the first numbers I have seen that show a declining selection pool. Keep those applications updated! There is nothing in the email about changing current standards or even what they are looking for. I do know that they might be more prone to give on flight time rather than education. Unless you are inside the selection machine, you don't have much idea of what is going on.

A decrease of 14000 applicants in 4 years. Has the industry been hiring been hiring 3500 pilots a year... Maybe... I suppose that is probable.

If this is accurate, and linear, in two years time they will have zero applicants! How could that even be possible? How many of the 5000 also have their application in at United, Delta, or Southwest?

American Airlines has an extreme amount of pilots being forced out by the 65 rule here in the next 10 years. Some people estimate somewhere near the 7000 mark. Why haven't they opened up the floodgates of hiring? Too busy managing the merger?

It sure would be great if there was some real demand for pilots and everyone who was qualified had a real shot at going to The Majors.

One real question; what are they considering "qualified"?

A decrease of 14000 applicants in 4 years. Has the industry been hiring been hiring 3500 pilots a year... Maybe... I suppose that is probable.

If this is accurate, and linear, in two years time they will have zero applicants! How could that even be possible? How many of the 5000 also have their application in at United, Delta, or Southwest?

They may well have closer to 14,000 applications on file, but they said 5,000 updated in the last 90 days. Honestly, if you're not updating your application once every other week, or month, how serious are you taking the endeavor of moving on? 5,000 seems realistic if not optimistic.

I see the same thing that happened to the IT industry first with the Y2K bug and then with the Dot.Bomb heydays happening to the aviation industry. Pretty soon (i'd say 4-5 years) we will see airlines actively offering starting wages well over 100K for anyone with ATP mins. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't start seeing other perks like car benefits to entice recruits. As in free car leases if you agree to a contract for 3-4 years.

Hell one of the reasons I left the IT world was to get away from IT recruiters (who are the scum of the earth). It would be an absolute disaster if they came to aviation.

Unions would go out the window with airlines offering 100-200K starting wages to go work at your favorite flavor of airline.

Don't believe it can happen? Study your history on the Y2K bug.

Another problem the industry is facing is knowing how to recruit. Most airlines HR depts have no clue how to recruit. They are used to candidates coming to them. Now its going to be the other way around. And it's an entirely different world. Now these companies who sat high on the hog and just had people desperate to interview will find themselves desperate to find anyone to interview.

And the entire process will need to change from why does the candidate want to work for us to a what can we offer the candidate to WANT to work for us. That's a very different sell from the fraternity method used now.

As someone who has no desire to work for a major airline I am looking forward to watching this from the sidelines. I still to this day get 2-3 calls a day to come program for random companies all over the world. There has even been an uptick since President Trump started limiting H1B visas for tech workers. I see the same thing happening in the airline world.

The reason there are only 5,000 people updating their app at AA is because the other 14,000 stopped and are spending the time updating for Delta, United, FedEx, UPS and SWA.

I wasn't aware that not updating for 90 days was the point where you became disinterested in working someplace. I'm really surprised they feel that way.

All of us at the major carriers now might get really lucky. We (hopefully) will be able to upgrade fairly quickly into an Airbus or 737 which opens up a ton of doors overseas. I'm not saying I would pursue it but if the Asian carriers really start needing pilots like they say they will it probably won't be unheard of to be able to get 400k+ over there.

I really don't think the US carriers will need to offer huge sign-on bonuses for the mainline operation. AA's overall goal is to staff their commuter feed. If they really need pilots to fly for mainline, there are plenty to poach from other commuters or the bottom rungs of the LCCs. I truly hope it gets to that point, that would be amazing, the LCC's can't afford to staff their airline so the legacies expand and take their market share. Sorry, little orgasmic moment there.

Last edited:
Also factor in that AA is so gun-ho on 50% of pilots coming from a flow. Why I don't know but they are.

Also factor in that AA is so gun-ho on 50% of pilots coming from a flow. Why I don't know but they are.

My best guess is that it's a way of keeping cost down. Because the RJ's are cheaper to operate at the regional level rather than attemptin to pull that flying into mainline like Delta is doing. The flow through program guarantees cheaper staffing. I don't think that it is quite working out the way they thought it would with the industry wide hiring that's taking place though.

My best guess is that it's a way of keeping cost down. Because the RJ's are cheaper to operate at the regional level rather than attemptin to pull that flying into mainline like Delta is doing. The flow through program guarantees cheaper staffing. I don't think that it is quite working out the way they thought it would with the industry wide hiring that's taking place though.
Your guess is correct. A way to pay less, but retain more.

The reason there are only 5,000 people updating their app at AA is because the other 14,000 stopped and are spending the time updating for Delta, United, FedEx, UPS and SWA.

I wasn't aware that not updating for 90 days was the point where you became disinterested in working someplace. I'm really surprised they feel that way.

All of us at the major carriers now might get really lucky. We (hopefully) will be able to upgrade fairly quickly into an Airbus or 737 which opens up a ton of doors overseas. I'm not saying I would pursue it but if the Asian carriers really start needing pilots like they say they will it probably won't be unheard of to be able to get 400k+ over there.

I really don't think the US carriers will need to offer huge sign-on bonuses for the mainline operation. AA's overall goal is to staff their commuter feed. If they really need pilots to fly for mainline, there are plenty to poach from other commuters or the bottom rungs of the LCCs. I truly hope it gets to that point, that would be amazing, the LCC's can't afford to staff their airline so the legacies expand and take their market share. Sorry, little orgasmic moment there.

This is so true. Go over onto the regional forum on APC and the Eagle recruiters are portraying a picture of no hope for anyone who wants to work for AA and is not at a wholly owned. So many aren't wasting their precious time on AA.

This is so true. Go over onto the regional forum on APC and the Eagle recruiters are portraying a picture of no hope for anyone who wants to work for AA and is not at a wholly owned. So many aren't wasting their precious time on AA.
The stats back up that claim unfortunately. Half from military and half from flow commitments with a very very small percentage off the street outside of those two groups.

According to an Envoy Pilot Recruitment Company Portfolio, Envoy pilots have accounted for 62% of AA new-hires since 2010. In 2016, 48% of AA new hires were Envoy.

According to an Envoy Pilot Recruitment Company Portfolio, Envoy pilots have accounted for 62% of AA new-hires since 2010. In 2016, 48% of AA new hires were Envoy.

This was sent out to AA guys.

1f47b47e4376efaeb5f06541c125aacd.jpg

Why is American offering flow to so many? Costs! Mr. Parker figures that the wholly-owned, who still report to him, will not be forced to raise pay that high, as will other regionals because of the flow program.

They are selling one interview and a guaranteed job at mainline I think they feel that this will hold the line on regional pilot pay. Parker doesn't want to be in a regional pilot pay bidding war.

Time will tell if that concept holds up.

Back