A call from the Chief Pilot's office

Oh man, I would have a field day with you.

Actually, the best answer is "Yes, you are correct. I've refamiliarized myself with out policy and I promise it will not happen again, sir"

It's a company where you can admit you did something wrong, with humility, and be fine. We're all adults, we err, we do dumb things on occasion.

But if you lie, the gates of hell will creak open and then it's about to get really weird.

Ya'll know I was just being smartass right, and not something I'd actually do? I'm not even that computer savvy to use bots. Heck if I knew anything about bots, I'd use that to get all those idiots on Modern Warfare 2 and 3 online that are freakin cheating and somehow think that translates to good skill. No Mr. mostly young kids, using that particular bot does not mean you are more skillful. It just means you are a @#@#%@!

There we go, I feel better now. #StoryOfMyOnlineGamingLife

No offense, you need a better ACP. Bet you $5 the very guy who's giving that speech also has a wife that knows the password so she can list/travel on her own.

Lets be honest, do your wives really not have your own password for travel?
Haven't tried it recently, but does anyone remember this?

"When you hear the originating city, press one. Windsor Locks. Atlanta. When you hear the destination city, press one. Atlanta. Daytona Beach."

"You have listed one traveler on SouthernJets flight 1221. For type of equipment and meal service, press one..."

"When you hear the originating city, press one. Windsor Locks. Atlanta. When you hear the destination city, press one. Atlanta. Daytona Beach."

"You have listed one traveler on SouthernJets flight 1221. For type of equipment and meal service, press one..."

I believe the VRU was discontinued.

This relates to non rev travel and jump-seating.

I was operating a flight from DCA to FLL a few days ago. As we were getting ready to close out, I could see two stranded pax desperately waving to get the agents and my attention. The agent was backing the jetway away from the Aircraft. These were revenue passengers not "jump-seaters" or non revs.

I asked the agent to reattach the jet bridge and told the lead FA to open the door and we got both the Pax on board. They were very pleased and thanked us profusely. We pushed 2 minutes behind schedule. Next day I get a nice call from the Chief Pilots office to discuss my delay. I was reminded of the policy on not accommodating late passengers after the jet bridge is pulled. It is up to the agents to deal with these issues.

I am not a trouble maker, and this is the first time I have been called on an issue like this in my 29 years at this company. I don't make policy and it looks like anyone who deviates from policy will get a call, friendly at first and not so friendly if it happens again. Repeated delays will lead to discipline.

I post this here to let you know that the company is becoming fanatical about on time performance and if I am going to get a call about revenue passengers what will they do if I take a delay for jump-seaters? I encourage those of you who have ALPA jump-seat committees to contact the APA jump-seat committee and let them know that they should be advocating that the company place more emphasis on agent training. The agents are all trying to adapt to a new boarding system and software (particularly the former US agents) and the people it is going to hurt most are standbys, non-revs and jump-seat riders. Our boarding process is in chaos and the agents are being held accountable. Now flight crews are also.

I was perfectly willing to exercise captains authority to make sure non revs and jump-seaters get on but now it seems that the company will target anyone who takes a delay, no matter how small. I am sorry to report this but that's the way it is shaping up as this merger progresses.

Seems to me the focus of the company is all wrong. Instead of lecturing the Captain for accommodating passengers, the company should be lecturing the agent(s) for mishandling the situation in the first place.

I totally get leaving on time or early to keep the operation fluid. If the pax didn't show up until <10 minutes prior then that's on them. But what annoys me is when agents close out the flight with empty seats and standbys still there when they did show up on time to the gate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a terrible experience with a US Airways gate agent a few years ago. After being delayed for ~12 hours due to my flight cancelling for weather, me and a commuting pilot were waiting to get on board. There was one seat left, the commuting pilot said he would take the jumpseat so we could both get on. The gate agent insisted the pilot take the regular seat, leaving me stranded.

As the pilot was boarding, I threw my ticket in the lady's face and walked away. She shouted out that she would bump me from my next flight. During my extended delay, I wrote a nasty letter to management about the gate agent and also said I would never fly US Airways again. I ended up getting on the next flight, receiving a ~$100-$200 voucher and flying US Airways again with the discount.

Had a terrible experience with a US Airways gate agent a few years ago. After being delayed for ~12 hours due to my flight cancelling for weather, me and a commuting pilot were waiting to get on board. There was one seat left, the commuting pilot said he would take the jumpseat so we could both get on. The gate agent insisted the pilot take the regular seat, leaving me stranded.

As the pilot was boarding, I threw my ticket in the lady's face and walked away. She shouted out that she would bump me from my next flight. During my extended delay, I wrote a nasty letter to management about the gate agent and also said I would never fly US Airways again. I ended up getting on the next flight, receiving a ~$100-$200 voucher and flying US Airways again with the discount.
Was that story suppose to earn you sympathy? Because it didn't.

Was that story suppose to earn you sympathy? Because it didn't.

This is a shame, as I really wanted the sympathy of a hockey chick...

A lot of the other stories here are showing how they are heroes for getting passengers on board. In my case, the commuting pilot could have done more.

Maybe my type of situation was an anomaly, or maybe it is one that is the type that is conveniently forgotten.

A lot of the other stories here are showing how they are heroes for getting passengers on board. In my case, the commuting pilot could have done more.

Maybe my type of situation was an anomaly, or maybe it is one that is the type that is conveniently forgotten.
Were you a revenue passenger? If so, it sounds like the pilot was a deadhead and not a commuter.

Regardless, you had me until you said "I threw my ticket in the lady's face and walked away." That's just childish and will never help you.

If it was anything like the one we had at USAir, it was wildly inaccurate or just served to lure the gullible into a wasted trip to the airport. I once checked a flight heading to CLT the night before. 50 open seats. The next day I check in, and the agent was separating the non-rev slips into multiple piles....by DECADE of date of hire.

Open seats make people come out of the woodwork.

Richman

If it was anything like the one we had at USAir, it was wildly inaccurate or just served to lure the gullible into a wasted trip to the airport. I once checked a flight heading to CLT the night before. 50 open seats. The next day I check in, and the agent was separating the non-rev slips into multiple piles....by DECADE of date of hire.

Open seats make people come out of the woodwork.

Richman

Which begs the question, what could possibly be so interesting in Charlotte?

Did you want sympathy from an inanimate airplane too?
<
<
It's quite a shame that @CFIscare looks nothing like that picture.

I can only assume you are a grown man. Throwing a tantrum anywhere, let alone an airport, is poor form.

You're good!

Back