A call from the Chief Pilot's office

Your consternation about not being honest makes this hilarious. Falsifying out times?

And how do you still have DeltaNet access? Did Delta buy Virgin America?

I'm the FO. I don't do that. It's just one of the things I've seen online in 4.5 yrs FO on the bus. For certain CAs, it's an available option. Now I wouldn't do this to shave 30 minutes for example. But 1 or 2 minutes, especially when it gets people on, I guess I put this on the "courtesy" for the paying passengers. Doing this would have triggered an on time departure (and lets be honest, it basically was an on time departure). But go out 2 minutes late and it does red flag you for a late departure and a call from the CP. I suppose it's the individual's comfort level of what to do.

Last edited:
I am not a trouble maker, and this is the first time I have been called on an issue like this in my 29 years at this company. I don't make policy and it looks like anyone who deviates from policy will get a call, friendly at first and not so friendly if it happens again. Repeated delays will lead to discipline.

You know, if you empower people to do the right thing, they almost always do. If you measure people only against metrics that account for small portions of their job, well, they will choose to meet that goal regardless of customer service, cost or lost revenue.

True, technically.

Mine is a DL Connection guy. I would never even imagine abusing or using the system for anything other than a commute/load check. I "may" have Virgin, Delta, Southwest, and Spirit. ;) Or I may not :oops:

I've always wanted United and AA, but with United as long as you buy a ZED and check in on the iPhone United app, you can see the boarding totals, the standby list, and where you are. It's as good as anything and you know if you will get on or not. Not only that with United's app, you can click "change your flight" and then select another flight that day with the same city route (free of charge for ZED ticket). And for each of those flights, it shows you seats available and nonrevs listed. United has the best app for non-revs, ever.

Technically speaking, our policy pretty much says that our spouses "technically" shouldn't have our login credentials.
Yeah, that's a good way to make bad trouble.

But I used to work in an InfoSec office, so I'm paranoid.

Yeah, that's a good way to make bad trouble.

But I used to work in an InfoSec office, so I'm paranoid.

Oh yes.

The company has had the "well, if 923432 is on duty and in flight… why is 923432 currently logged in from an IP address in Montgomery, Alabama?" battle a few times.

On the Bus, clock... set from GPS to INT. Set your actual scheduled departure time. Leave it. Get pax on, get door close. Start clock. Release brake, capture out time. When done, move clock switch from INT back to GPS. Actual time is now displayed and you captured your original out time.

On Delta, I showed up to the gate (running) at 430pm for a 450pm departure. Delta 717 EWR-DTW. Agent said sorry! they're already boarded up and "closed" the flight. jetbridge was still hooked up. The plane actually pushed back at 443pm, 7 minutes early. They could have easily processed me. Looking at Deltanet though, there were no nonrevs listed on the flight and it had 3 open seats. I think the fact that all revenue got on meant they had the okay / go ahead to close up 20 early. No weather, no EDCTs, no gate issues that required this plane to close early. It is what it is.
You aren't the first person to have problems in EWR on Delta. I had an agent close out a flight 15 minutes prior to departure and refuse to reopen it for a passenger. I had to use captain's authority and kindly tell them that I was not getting back on the airplane until the passenger was on the airplane. It's the only station I've ever had that problem.

Oh yes.

The company has had the "well, if 923432 is on duty and in flight… why is 923432 currently logged in from an IP address in Montgomery, Alabama?" battle a few times.

"Well sir, Deltanet is free on Delta flights!*" :D

* True. delta.com and dlnet.delta.com are both free on Delta GoGo flights.

But then they have you on the PED policy! :)

But sir, the PED switch was off! :p

Though to be honest, I don't think most airlines are vindictive like that unless you were on their radar for some reason. We had a couple guys get burned when the company "proved" they were logged into Flica and they were actually airborne flying. But like all things, there's always 2 sides to every story. And in this case, turns out the flying pilots were reserve, logged in to see a scehdule was modified, but decided they wouldn't acknowledge and get smart... they would wait for an ACARs or a gate agent notification. If none of those two, they would cut loose and go home. Well, now the company is screwed out of a reserve pilot and you can bet your rear end they are going to do an investigation and find out just what and when this pilot knew. So they went in and saw the time stamp, and then asked "what was this pilot doing when he saw it." And now they're caught. But I do think they would have done this to just any average line guy? Highly unlikely. Most airlines I think leave pilots alone as long as that pilot does his duty and assigned pairings. But screw the company even once, and you can get they will back track and find just exactly what happened and who dropped the ball.

Oh yes.

image.jpeg

" I have an autonomous log in system which re-authenticates itself every 10 minutes and ensures constant log in status, available only to my home computer at any time, and for security purposes alternates its IP address between various places including Montgomery, Alabama. "

SWA airplanes have this placard that says something to the effect of "the use of wifi devices in the flight deck while engines are operating for purposes of flight is prohibited." Very unambiguous. It's on the panel. :)

We don't have that. Ironically our STC says we are supposed to have wifi up front.

" I have an autonomous log in system which re-authenticates itself every 10 minutes and ensures constant log in status, available only to my home computer at any time, and for security purposes alternates its IP address between various places including Montgomery, Alabama. "

Oh you have a bot? Have a nice unpaid vacation ;)

Bots are also highly frowned upon at certain shops.

SWA airplanes have this placard that says something to the effect of "the use of wifi devices in the flight deck while engines are operating for purposes of flight is prohibited." Very unambiguous. It's on the panel. :)

We don't have that. Ironically our STC says we are supposed to have wifi up front.

Sooooo..... but on an extended bathroom break,I don't see that placard restriction in the lavatory, correct? :p

At our shop it's approved for one pilot to be on wifi and the other monitoring/talking to ATC and the purpose of that wifi usage is weather/company related. We have several free sites on the GoGo website we can use to plot our route, see actual weather and tops, winds, intensities, etc.

He ain't lying. I had that exact conversation with an ACP who wanted to know why I was logged in when I was supposed to be flying. Told them it was my wife booking a flight for my mother. Got the "Only the employee is supposed to be logged on speech," with a smarmy, I got you look. Told him I would be happy to give him my wife's employee number. Left with a mumbled, "Never mind about it," from him.

Oh you have a bot? Have a nice unpaid vacation ;)

Bots are also highly frowned upon at certain shops.

Get caught using a bot with DeltaNet, crap will hit the fan, and no one, union included, will help you out. We've been warned.

Back