A call form crew scheduling...

It's a matter of principle.
principle, schminciple... that really tells me nothing.

What I want is for somebody to explain exactly how declining an occasional extra flight would bring even one furloughed pilot back to work, let alone 70 of them?

Got a call that went to VM tonight from crew scheduling. They asked if I would like to pickup some flying tomorrow. Mind you I have almost 80 guys beneath me in base. Our company also has 70 guys on the street.

Needless to say, I didn't call them back

I got a call a few months ago from scheduling and I hadn't worked for the company for almost a month. I was very tempted to call and accept.

What I want is for somebody to explain exactly how declining an occasional extra flight would bring even one furloughed pilot back to work, let alone 70 of them?
Because if scheduling is having to call people at home that means that they're short staffed.

A properly staffed airline should offer minimal open time. If a few of those guys on the street were back, sitting on reserve, scheduling wouldn't have this issue. So yes if scheduling can't cover flights then management will see cancellations due to staffing and should call back some pilots.

Picking up open time while guys are on the street is damned close to scabbing, "Oh those pilots with signs aren't flying? But it's nice that this big airline called and is letting me fly their nice shiny jet because nobody else will."

It's a lot of chest beating. Either you picked it up or they junior manned. Both pay the same here (150%) so it might as well go to people who want to work it vs. those who are forced into it. Even the MEC Chairman said it wouldn't matter one way or another. Sad but true. You might think you are doing something "for the cause" but I can promise they will extend that (now) junior FO or CA on RSV into another day (or two) to cover flying. I even got JM'd as a senior lineholding FO. Guys that declined it got Section 19'd. Been there done that got the T-Shirt.

Because if scheduling is having to call people at home that means that they're short staffed.

A properly staffed airline should offer minimal open time. If a few of those guys on the street were back, sitting on reserve, scheduling wouldn't have this issue. So yes if scheduling can't cover flights then management will see cancellations do to staffing and should call back some pilots.

OK, that's closer to an understandable explanation. But it presupposes that, 1.the extra flights are predictable enough to warrant keeping extra pilots on reserve, and, 2, management would rather pay double or quadruple time to senior pilots just so they can screw the lowest paid, most junior furloughed pilots out of a few hours of flight time. I suppose that's possible, but it still doesn't make sense.

It's a lot of chest beating. Either you picked it up or they junior manned. Both pay the same here (150%) so it might as well go to people who want to work it vs. those who are forced into it. Even the MEC Chairman said it wouldn't matter one way or another. Sad but true. You might think you are doing something "for the cause" but I can promise they will extend that (now) junior FO or CA on RSV into another day (or two) to cover flying. I even got JM'd as a senior lineholding FO. Guys that declined it got Section 19'd. Been there done that got the T-Shirt.

Pay attention everyone.

The above is all to true. There is a lot "No OT while guys are on the street," but in the end of the day the flying is going to be down by someone, and all to often someone who didn't want the flying is going to get screwed.

I would like to think we have 0 guys on the street, not 70. The furlong of the 70 had nothing to do with staffing, it was an Entering bankruptcy...Shot across the bow..Strike fear into the hearts of the infidels token gesture. We are still overstaffed, and there has been no further mention of additional furlongs in the future.

Any of the 70 on furlong waiting to come back shouldn't be, I know I wouldn't. I hope none of the 70 show up again, there has been some good opportunity to get on with other carriers between the furlong and now. I wouldn't be keen on returning to a place where I was served up as political fodder, but that's just me.

I didn't touch premium flying with guys on furlough.

The company created the staffing issue themselves, let them solve it the way they created it.

Sent from my TRS-80

The company created the staffing issue themselves, let them solve it the way they created it.

Sent from my TRS-80

OK, we're making progress. I still don't see where one has anything to do with the other. If the premium flying was reliable enough to require additional pilots, why wouldn't management simply hire them (or re-hire them) to do it? After all, wouldn't it be cheaper to do that than pay senior pilots a premium rate?

I really don't want to reinvent the wheel but it makes all the difference in the world if everyone is performing premium flying and you're freshly furloughed.

Sent from my TRS-80

I can appreciate your point, but I'm not sure it answers my question.

I really do want to understand this

Sent from my TRS-80
They'll solve it alright. Just not how you think they will. Unfortunately for the junior guys who might not want to work that open time trip.

You can only get JMed if you want to.
I 100% disagree. Via acars is a surefire bet here. You don't respond you've got a sec 19 waiting for you. You respond and decline you've got a sec 19 and an unavailable. 3 of those in a year and you are fired. Unavailables also get reported to other airlines, looks pretty bad on your record.

There are always people working. And there are always people on call on reserve who must answer. They don't and sec 19.

Like I said it sounds really good to say it, but it's mostly chest beating.

I can appreciate your point, but I'm not sure it answers my question.

I really do want to understand this

It is just a way to show the guys on the street you care. Most pilots know there is nothing we can do to get the guys back and the guys on the street know it too. It is really just a show of solidarity with the guys on the street. We have a member here that works at the same airline that I do, that really needed some extra cash when I was on the street. He could have picked up OT but he didn't. He found other ways to make a few extra dollars. Did him not picking up OT get me back to work any faster, I don't think so, but it did make me feel like he cared.

The fact is most guys will never know what it is like to turn in you ID and books and have no idea when and if you are ever going to get them back. It sucks more then I ever planed. So most guys have no idea how doing something as small as not picking OT means to the guys on the street.

I 100% disagree. Via acars is a surefire bet here. You don't respond you've got a sec 19 waiting for you. You respond and decline you've got a sec 19 and an unavailable. 3 of those in a year and you are fired. Unavailables also get reported to other airlines, looks pretty bad on your record.

There are always people working. And there are always people on call on reserve who must answer. They don't and sec 19.

Like I said it sounds really good to say it, but it's mostly chest beating.

I don't know about you but I don't plan on doing any extra flying and have no problem calling in fatigue.

We work for the same company so I know it is very true. A fatigue call cost nothing and I have no problem dropping one.

Even the union has been on to us about using the fatigue ace-in-the-hole with caution. It is also hard to use if you have no real reason for fatigue, i.e. you have done one or two short flights and you are only 6-7 hours into your day.

Had it happen to me last month. I probably could have called in fatigue, but I knew I would have gotten a ton of • over it.

Back