Pilot Shortage from insider's perspective

Great article, more need to be written and publicized.

Many young people are staying away as more light (factual information) spreads about this industry. In this Internet Age of rapid information: Blogs, Twitter, FB, Forums, News cycles) more young people are becoming aware.

With "Cool Factor" demenishing, sensable decision making comes into play.

The American public will give a damn if we make them (they are easily persuaded) the media and advertisers know this all to well. Flood the market with your story, and win the publics heart, win the public's support. You win the politicians as well.

Control the image, control the perception. People don't want their Pilots on food stamps, or hungry.

Great article, more need to be written and publicized.

Many young people are staying away as more light (factual information) spreads about this industry. In this Internet Age of rapid information: Blogs, Twitter, FB, Forums, News cycles) more young people are becoming aware.

With "Cool Factor" demenishing, sensable decision making comes into play.

The American public will give a damn if we make them (they are easily persuaded) the media and advertisers know this all to well. Flood the market with your story, and win the publics heart, win the public's support. You win the politicians as well.

Control the image, control the perception. People don't want their Pilots on food stamps, or hungry.
I like the premise but it hasn't helped the teachers of America when it comes to pay. Soldiers don't seem to get much better, we just cut their benefits again. I hope the dwindling amount of new pilots will help our cause because Americans are a fickle sort.

I wonder if this same author is the same guy I had as a student 6yrs ago at ATP? Well my student who became a CFI had as a student. Damn pilot mills. Same name and last I remember was flying for a regional and an active advocate against this ATP rule and the current " negative treatment" of pilots. I bet my ATP ticket it is this guy! Well written article Mr. Schneider, keep up the fight!

Yeah I don't know. Pilots aren't the only ones who are suffering. Things are expensive nowadays. 50k/yr won't even cut it. I live in NJ so whatever moneys won't work here would work very well elsewhere. Time for a move! But still, people are struggling it's not only pilots. However, I can't argue that it's not a screwed up system. Spend hundreds of thousands and make peanuts. I don't get why or how I could ever aspire to do it? If i could retire 135/91 corporate I'd be happy. I'm always thinking of plan B.

Last edited:
Cool is great, but cool doesn't pay the bills.

There isn't a pilot shortage. There is a shortage of pilots willing to work for wages that are comparable to what they're paying at the local Kwik-E-Mart.

I was under the impression that in the last year or two, the FFD sector has actually dropped below 50% of all departures. Also the first sentence of the second paragraph is flat wrong, chances are not more likely that you'll be on a regional as ASMs are way greater than 50% in favor of mainline. I can be a little bit of a numbers guy, so I hate when the numbers get skewed incorrectly. Otherwise another pretty decent article in a long string of recent articles highlighting the plight of the regional airline pilot.

It isn't bad yet. When I say problem, I'm talking like worse than the Great Depression bad. The Great Recession will seam like economic boom time.

No kidding. Until I see the day where mall parking lots are empty, entertainment venues hurting for business. That's the day I'll be convinced. A raining stormy Sunday afternoon and I couldn't get a parking spot at the strip mall joint to get my haircut. Either it's the dense unbearable population in NJ or else people are just rich or love spending money they don't have. God I hate this state!

I'm in no way kidding when I say that Joisey is the exemplar of everything that is wrong with the US. And I know of what I speak. I'm in Teterboro right now. Shout out from Hasbrouck Heights!

How people live here is so far beyond me, I might as well be an alien.

I'm in no way kidding when I say that Joisey is the exemplar of everything that is wrong with the US. And I know of what I speak. I'm in Teterboro right now. Shout out from Hasbrouck Heights!

How people live here is so far beyond me, I might as well be an alien.
Ah, my former home away from home. It's also where I first started getting called Stone Cold... Go figure. I don't miss it one bit.

Back