A 26 year old man in need of some major advice from career aviators

LOL!!!
grin.gif

OUTSTANDING!! Well, I'm your basic Paralegal (for now) AND student pilot.

My wife - as of today - surpassed me in income. Her monthly bonus' kick in today and those will vary anywhere between $0 (if you sit on your a$$ all day and not do anything) and $2000 - she's in the latter range.
grin.gif

So, she'll be my sugar momma.... and I'm going to LOVE IT!!
laugh.gif

What kind of law do you practice?

Drop me a pm if you want - don't want to hijack the kids thread TOO much.
laugh.gif

If it makes you feel any better, I am in the same situation as you are. I am 25 and just starting out in aviation. Honestly, we still have plenty of time. The mandatory retirement age for commercial pilots is 60. Granted, alot of pilots retire early or in some cases don't pass their medical exam. Some it seems take non flying jobs. So lets say it is gonna take you about 2 years to get all your hours to be able to flight instruct and support yourself. You work there for another 2 years to build enough time to work for a small regional or cargo carrier what have you. You are still only 30. Do the math. If you take good care of your health. It is not impossible that you could have a 30 year flying career. It leaves you plenty of time if you were considering working for the majors.

I'm in the same boat...I'm 27 years old and decided to fly professionaly about a year ago. I already had my private and about 120 hours this time last year. I sold my new jeep, bought an old junker car, sold my house and began flying everyday in order to obtain all my ratings. Now I am a part time CFI getting about 30 hours per month and almost at 500 hours.
You're 26 years old, you are VERY young and it's not too late to start. If you start now and get all your ratings and instructor ratings within the next year or two by the time you're 30 you should have enough hours to get on with a regional or cargo outfit.
If this is what you want to do, go for it. It's one heck of an exciting journey and you'll never regret going for it!!!

As a side thought. I really feel that the age I am at now i am much more mature and responsible than i was had i started training at 19 or 20. My experiences over the years have better prepared me for a career like aviation that requires a great deal of dedication, perseverance and professionalism.

BR549: Man your are not too old to start, Im 25 and Im just getting started. I Just got off active duty Air Force to pursue this. Im scared outa my mind but sometimes you just gotta shut-up and do it!!!!!!
grin.gif

Good thread... I'm 24 and I've had a lot of similar feelings lately about being kind of old for not having started my training yet, but reading you guy's stories has really cheered me up. I certainly don't think you would need a 2 or 4 year aviation degree since you've already got one from A&M. Well, good luck!

BR549
With your stated goal I would tell you to stay away from the Army exspecially considering your age and your idea of going enlisted first. If you do that you will never make it to flight training, you will be too old. Even if you go in directly for WOFT or even as a commisioned aviator it will prolong greatly your career goal of flying for an airline. Army pilots fly Helicopters, period. There are a few that get a fixed wing transition but it is usually later in thier careers and it most likely will be a King Air transition and the numbers are not in your favor.
I think the best advice is go to your local FBO (flight school) and take a lesson or two, you will know very quickly if this is for you or not. You then will have more questions for us here on how to best pursue your goals. There will be plenty of "insight" available to you at that time. You are not too old to seek a career in aviation but you should consider that now is the time to start. Even with the current situation I believe that there will be opportunities out there in the very near future.
Since you already have a degree I would spend no time or money in an aviation degree program it is not beneficial to you.

Very Inspirational thread. I am 23 and hopefully going to get started with my flight training very soon. I just need to figure out which route I am going to take. So I am in the same situation as BR549. I have recently decided against the WOFT program mainly because of the reasons posted by C650CPT. The AF reserves have a seemingly worthwhile program that you might want to look into, I know I am. Well good luck.

Thanks Guys and Gals,

Yalls advise has been very helpful. However, if I get excepted to the Marine Corp flight program, I would probably take that opportunity. My recruiter says that I have a good chance, that is if I get around a 270 on my physical fitness test, pass my flight test, and pass my physical. I have awesome letters of recommendation from former generals and colonels and majors. I will just pray and see what happens. I explore all possible avenues. I just need to find the dinero to get my ppl. I think yall convinced me not to go WOFT though. Flying a Blackhawk or Apache would be "sweet", but that is not were my dreams are taking me. If yall have anymore advise, Im all ears. Thanks again!

D.C.

I was hired by an airline at 31. If you hustle, you can probably beat my age.

You do need the degree. I'd get started ASAP, because even though the industry is presently in the crapper, things are going to start picking up and you want to be ready.

BTW, is BR549 a "Hee Haw" reference?

[ QUOTE ]
Good thread... I'm 24 and I've had a lot of similar feelings lately about being kind of old for not having started my training yet, but reading you guy's stories has really cheered me up. I certainly don't think you would need a 2 or 4 year aviation degree since you've already got one from A&M. Well, good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

I just turned 35 yesterday. If you're too old at 24, I'm just flat out •ed. And I don't think I am, so I don't think you are, either.

BR549 is my favorite rockabilly band. I believe they did get their name from Hee Haw. That was an awesome show.

Back