9-year-old runaway boards plane at Minneapolis-St. Paul airport without ticket, flies to Vegas

Blows my mind how people get on planes without boarding passes or with the wrong one. In Feb I was on an AA flight from LAX to MIA and a guy that was supposed be going to Tokyo go on the flight. Ugh...
Each case is different, but its usually because someone is in a hurry. In the case I had where I sent a YYC bound pax to EUG, there were a few factors. YYC was supposed to leave from my gate, but was gate changed an hour or so ahead of time. This was announced many times, and updated on all the screens, but people's ears don't work in airports. This was a full flight, on a quick turn. At the time, it was very common for many pax to realize they aren't sitting togeather(because US Airways labels the seats in their RJs ACDF and we labeled them ABCD, pax connecting off US Airways almost always had 'AC' or 'DF' seats) at the start of boarding. I'm busy taking care of all that while the other agent rushes to scan boarding passes. If a pax had a boarding pass that wouldn't scan for some reason, the other gate agent shouted the seat to me and I manually boarded the person when I had a second to do it. A YYC bound pax handed my co-worker a EUG-SFO boarding pass(wouldn't have been the right one even for her intended flight). It didnt' scan, my coworker glanced at it real quick and saw SFO and EUG on the pass, then shouted the seat number to me as she threw it in a pile with the other manual boarding passes. I boarded the seat number and it showed the start of her name, Christina(CHRISTI), good enough 99.99% of the time in that situation and the pax was already on their way. She threw it in the pile with the other boarding passes and was busy dealing with a drunk pax while trying to pull tickets and make annoucements. Everyone gets on board, 66 pax in the computer, 66 pax on the plane. This pax was a Star Alliance Gold member(meaning she's flown 100 segments or 100,000 miles on Star Alliance airlines in a year) who spoke perfect English. Despite all the times I said Eugene, the departure screens, the lack of a passport check, 2/3 of the plane wearing "OREGON" clothing, the F/A announcements, and the CA saying it would be just over an hour of a flight when YYC is about 3 hours, and the fact she just came from Eugene, the lady doesn't notice. Plane takes off. A pax shows up who "missed" EUG about an hour later. He was in the SAME SEAT on the flight that the YYC bound woman had on the way to SFO earlier that day. Turns out his name was Christian and the name was just cut off. We get a call that a lady is in EUG who was supposed to go to YYC. She didn't realize she was in EUG until she used the bathroom on arrival. Which is strange, since it turned out she LIVED in EUG and just flew out of there a few hours earlier as she had at least 50 times that year. She went home, got huge compensation, then was flown first class EUG-SFO-YYC in the morning. The best part is a supervisor who is a good friend of mine appologized to her when she got to SFO, but just had to ask why the lady didn't notice anything. The lady replied, and I quote, "I travel by air so I don't have to think, its your job to do that for me". I'll never forget that.

You can't make this stuff up. I was known for rarely screwing up. Then I screwed up royaly. It can happen to anyone. In fact, most of the well liked gate agents had an incident or two like this since they tended to be much more relaxed. The strict, anal, and unpleasant(aka there are 10 people on the plane, but I'm going to board by zones that don't exist on this flight because its policy) agents never made mistakes like this. Go figure.

Last edited:
In the old days at Eagle at ORD we parked 4-to-a-gate on the odd side of the G concourse. No jetbridges, pax had to walk out from the terminal to the right airplane. We had people trying to get on the wrong planes all the damn time. The agents tried to keep everyone corralled in a preschool-style conga line from the terminal outside to the plane, but stuff happens and as flight attendants we had to be religious about checking boarding passes. We sent mis-boards back all the time. Every once in a while someone slipped through though.

The worst were same-name cities. Springfield IL and Springfield MO, Bloomington IL and Bloomington IN... For obvious reasons there were wrong-city people boarded all the damn time. I finally took to announcing the city and state no fewer than 5 times before leaving the gate. To make matters worse, Eagle did a lot of through-flights, where a flight would leave ORD and go to SPI (Springfield Illinois) then on to SGF (Springfield Missouri). So you had to make sure everyone who was continuing on to SGF STAYED on the plane, and everyone who was supposed to get off in SPI actually got off there and didn't continue on to SGF.

We took our kids to Florida 3 times this past summer. 3 round-trips, 6 times through security & boarding processes.

Each time at security our names & boarding passes were looked at quite carefully. I really do not believe an extra child would have been able to get through without a "Hey, where are your parents?" and the screeners noticing. At the gate, I could see much more easily how a child could slip through. The agents were very busy, multi-tasking, and if one extra kid sidled up to a family with, say, 2 or 3 other kids, he could probably pretty easily just blend in and walk un-noticed down the jetbridge. It's not that the agents were lax or not paying attention, they just have a LOT going on and they were lucky to have 2 agents boarding full flights. There's just too much going on for them, and I could see how it could happen.

In the old days at Eagle at ORD we parked 4-to-a-gate on the odd side of the G concourse. No jetbridges, pax had to walk out from the terminal to the right airplane. We had people trying to get on the wrong planes all the damn time. The agents tried to keep everyone corralled in a preschool-style conga line from the terminal outside to the plane, but stuff happens and as flight attendants we had to be religious about checking boarding passes. We sent mis-boards back all the time. Every once in a while someone slipped through though.

The worst were same-name cities. Springfield IL and Springfield MO, Bloomington IL and Bloomington IN... For obvious reasons there were wrong-city people boarded all the damn time. I finally took to announcing the city and state no fewer than 5 times before leaving the gate. To make matters worse, Eagle did a lot of through-flights, where a flight would leave ORD and go to SPI (Springfield Illinois) then on to SGF (Springfield Missouri). So you had to make sure everyone who was continuing on to SGF STAYED on the plane, and everyone who was supposed to get off in SPI actually got off there and didn't continue on to SGF.
I still see stuff like that going on at ORD in the UAX F terminal. But ORD-SPI-SGF, are they stupid? What do they think is going to happen if they route a plane like that? Back when Air Canada used to do SFO-YYC, they had a flight often leaving from gate 68 while we had a YYC flight leaving out of 69 20 minutes earlier. Due to our constant delays, the flights often left at the exact same time, in the same boarding area, and pax on both flights had both UA and AC boarding passes because of the code share not knowing what airline they were on. To make matters worse, many of the pax were French connecting onto YUL and didn't even speak English. It was always a nightmare, people ALWAYS got on the wrong flight, both flights were always delayed about 30 minutes or better because of it, but neither airline seemed to care. The AC employees begged their ops to use gate 63 instead of 68, we begged ours to use any gate at all but 69 for that one flight, but both airlines argued that made it easier for misconnects to just hop on the next flight. So this went on for years until AC dropped the route.

Another example of why many people that hold important titles at airlines probably wouldn't even get promoted at Walmart.

More reports on this one, According to CNN the kid scoped out the airport the day before his getaway to LAS, went and took some random person's luggage from the carousel and proceeded to have a meal at an airport restaurant and asked the staff to watch his luggage while he went to the bathroom and never returned. Dined and Dashed!.

The future Frank Abagnale!

iq.jpg

HAHAHA, CNN just said the MSP Star-Tribune found that the 9 year old has stolen a car before and in the past has taken transit to a water park and sneaked in.

I say wager on bank heists by next year!

Yeah, the fact he's 9 and knows how to exploit that to get away with stuff means this kid is going to be trouble.

That kid needs to spend some time in Juvie with no internet, no video games, some manual labor and he needs to be shown the full story of the Barefoot Bandit, and how his "adventure" ended... The kid is obviously very smart, and if directed in a positive way his smarts could be used to accomplish some very good things. If his smarts aren't directed positively he's going to end up shot or something.

The NSA is interested in funding a scholarship for him...

Regarding @ChasenSFO 's story about sending the woman to the wrong city...

I was wondering this morning as I connected in ATL if the boarding pass scanner was connected the flight at the gate- the idea being that it alerts if it scans a boarding pass that isn't for the flight it's currently working on, you know?

Apparently, it doesn't work that way? Because it should, and the software would be relatively easy to write/deploy.

The NSA is interested in funding a scholarship for him...

Regarding @ChasenSFO 's story about sending the woman to the wrong city...

I was wondering this morning as I connected in ATL if the boarding pass scanner was connected the flight at the gate- the idea being that it alerts if it scans a boarding pass that isn't for the flight it's currently working on, you know?

Apparently, it doesn't work that way? Because it should, and the software would be relatively easy to write/deploy.
It is, BUT(and this is a big but), faded boarding passes or boarding passes from other airlines often appear as "WRONG FLT/DATE" with a bunch of beeping, so it's easy to toss one aside when it happens many times on each flight and manually type it in after just a quick glance.

Back