9 hour 39 minute cessna 182 flight

Yup. . .I wouldn't doubt it. :rolleyes:

Yea, definitely a pretty risky job, but somebody has to do it and a good way to build time, if you survive :) . My CFI used to be a NAT ferry pilot after getting out of the German Air Force. Just hope to hell that single engine doesn't quit--or else you're toast (errr, ice cube, rather).

That's kinda cool.

I wonder what kinda range you could get with ferry tanks. Probably stay aloft forever.

My grandfather used to fly back and forth between his home in England and the United States a lot in his Piper Comanche. He had 20 hours of endurance or about 240 gallons with the largest ferry tank. He did around fifteen round trips in it. It is not my cup of tea, but he has always been the adventerous type. His best friend had 40 hours of edurance in his Comanche and flew nonstop from London to LAX, 36 hours.

Alex.

My grandfather used to fly back and forth between his home in England and the United States a lot in his Piper Comanche. He had 20 hours of endurance or about 240 gallons with the largest ferry tank. He did around fifteen round trips in it. It is not my cup of tea, but he has always been the adventerous type. His best friend had 40 hours of edurance in his Comanche and flew nonstop from London to LAX, 36 hours.

Alex.

Yikes! I can't imagine staying aloft that long... especially single pilot.
How did they deal with physiological needs (food/sleep/bathroom breaks) on a flight that long?

Yikes! I can't imagine staying aloft that long... especially single pilot.
How did they deal with physiological needs (food/sleep/bathroom breaks) on a flight that long?

This was also way before IPODs and good weather reports. He has some interesting stories about the trips he's taken. He also took that Comanche up to the North Pole (he was the first person to fly over the North Pole solo in a single). I've never really talked to him about the physiological needs, but I'd imgaine its like what moxie said. He does have a good story about a friend of his who was taking a Tiger from the mainland to Greenland enroute to England and had to, uh, clear his bowels. He had a newspaper so decided to do it onto the newspaper, slide the canopy back and toss it out. Bad idea, as soon as the wind hit the paper it flung back and hit him square in the face. That had to be a crappy ride!

Alex.

Wow...yeah, that would be an interesting flight(s).

So it's registered (a couple of weeks ago) to Jondon, LLC. Perhaps have something to do with London?

I wonder how they are paid...so many questions. but none about crap, thanks.

Back