757 A/T failure

I don't think that's going to go well for the crew. We could dispatch without the A/T (deferrable). I had a few flights like that which were low threat. We practiced it in the sim pretty regular, too. I wonder if there were additional issues or if the Capt had been on a different aircraft type prior to the 757. Wonder if no autothrottles is a grounding item on the Airbus series.

Without knowing a lot about the 75, it sounds like they had one sensor effecting multiple different systems. Maybe it’s just cuz I fly Maxs a lot but putting it on the ground and letting mx deal with it instead of flying across the country at night sounds like a legitimate move.

“Don’t call it fatigue, because you’re already airborne.” interesting. :)

What is this “duty pilot’s” function, at Delta?

I don’t know about making a planned 16,000 lb overweight landing with no critical situation existing or no emergency being declared. Couldn’t be duty window related, as they should still be good for the 5 hour flight they just departed on. Or at least a good chunk of it remaining.

The hesitancy and the indecisiveness the Capt gives the perception of, makes me wonder if a
Capt new to being a Capt or new to the aircraft. I get the impression he’s asking dispatch for permission or trying to get dispatch to make a decision for him. Instead of “this is what we are doing, and here’s the reasoning.”

I don't think that's going to go well for the crew. We could dispatch without the A/T (deferrable). I had a few flights like that which were low threat. We practiced it in the sim pretty regular, too. I wonder if there were additional issues or if the Capt had been on a different aircraft type prior to the 757. Wonder if no autothrottles is a grounding item on the Airbus series.
Flown the A320 twice with no A/T. Can’t speak for the other models

Recent Pt they hammered that on our airbus AT can be deffered so flew a bit in the sim with it off. Havent seen it in the wild yet though

Flown the A320 twice with no A/T. Can’t speak for the other models

Fly the 737-200 all the time, every time, with no A/T.

TAT affects EPR, which is primary in our 737-200, which is understandable for the avoid-ice dispatch. In that case, you look up the applicable climb/cruise N1 in a chart, and also the go-around N1 at destination, write those down. And use those on those gauges that are above the EPR gauges.

Not sure what Delta allows for with their company regs in this situation, but this above is the tech behind it.

Autothrust on Le Bus (and “ATS” vs A/T)

The distinction is one of the ways your VLS can be slower than the statutorily-defined VREF (1.3 Vstall / 1.23 * reference stall speed) for most aircraft.

The hesitancy and the indecisiveness the Capt gives the perception of, makes me wonder if a
Capt new to being a Capt or new to the aircraft.
Yeah that was painful to listen to. And a go around on the approach. Ooph

Just an A/T MEL in itself is not super fatiguing. Once you’re at cruise it takes just the occasional adjustment.

Got that on the third leg of a long day for a SEA-LAS flight. Annoyed but not a reason to refuse the aircraft.

Get the duty pilot on the line? Get the F outta here with that, no thanks. Lots of Facepalming going on here. If he doesnt think its safe to continue on a redeye due to AT being inop, well thats that and we're going to return. Send over a gate when you got it, bye.
Is it SOP to have to explain everything like that over there? Duty pilot airborne?

Yeah that was painful to listen to. And a go around on the approach. Ooph

Just an A/T MEL in itself is not super fatiguing. Once you’re at cruise it takes just the occasional adjustment.

Got that on the third leg of a long day for a SEA-LAS flight. Annoyed but not a reason to refuse the aircraft.

A/T inop, or in my case not even there, isn’t even remotely something that takes any excess brain power. It’s…..basic flying. Something that seems to be lacking in aviation these days.

If you want to return return, I don't see the point of going back and forth with dx, ops, and the duty pilot trying to call it fatigue. Why is the CA of the plane begging people on the ground to return for a mechanical issue?

Return for Mx. isn’t that what is? Unless it’s an item that you are legal to go without there at Delta, and another excuse was needed. Couldn’t be duty time of the crew, as they took off in the first place for the flight.

Make the decision, whatever it. But you know what the real problem is? We’ve gone away from crews making decisions in aviation, and have gotten into getting everyone and their mother involved in decisions, and voting by committee.

Recent Pt they hammered that on our airbus AT can be deffered so flew a bit in the sim with it off. Havent seen it in the wild yet though
I used to fly an approach a week with AP, FD And AT off. FOs would react as if I was insane. We used to have to do a raw data ILS on PTs at Frontier, but they stopped doing it after COVID, iirc.

We’ve gone away from crews making decisions in aviation, and have gotten into getting everyone and their mother involved in decisions, and voting by committee.
Not here, and I suspect this was an outlier. I know of no one who would be going back and forth with a duty pilot and dispatch in a circumstance like this. The only thing we would do is make sure out diversion airport is legal and smart if thats the decision we had come up with.

A/Thrust is deferable on the Airbus.

What is the duty pilot’s function at Delta?
I think the best way to describe them is as a liaison between pilots and what Delta calls the OCC (Operations & Customer Center). They are pilots located in the OCC available 24/7 to be a resource to any issues or concerns pilots may have. They deal with wide ranging issues including fatigue calls. They are who you call if you are fatigued which is how they came to be in this situation, although this really isn’t an issue for them airborne which explains a lot of the confusion.

Back