747F slides off runway in YHZ

Overall, I agree. But it’s easy to say things like that when you go to like 10 different airports, all domestic, and the most difficult one is LGA.

It cuts both ways though. I'd argue that's kinda risky too in another way. When you only fly to 4 airports repeatedly for several years, it can easily lead to a level of complacency that could cause trouble. I don't know the crew, maybe Bishkek to them was like our LAX in terms of how often they go there. I don't know. It's just sad because one of the universal callouts in SOP during an approach in IMC is the altitude call at the FAF and the other guy checks. And in IMC I would think it's second nature to look at runway distance remaining and current altitude to make sure it all makes sense. In the end, we can't judge too harshly. They took off like any other crew and expected to live that day and fly like any other flight. The 747 is an all time favorite for me and it's just sad to see any of them end up like that.

It cuts both ways though. I'd argue that's kinda risky too in another way. When you only fly to 4 airports repeatedly for several years, it can easily lead to a level of complacency that could cause trouble. I don't know the crew, maybe Bishkek to them was like our LAX in terms of how often they go there. I don't know. It's just sad because one of the universal callouts in SOP during an approach in IMC is the altitude call at the FAF and the other guy checks. And in IMC I would think it's second nature to look at runway distance remaining and current altitude to make sure it all makes sense. In the end, we can't judge too harshly. They took off like any other crew and expected to live that day and fly like any other flight. The 747 is an all time favorite for me and it's just sad to see any of them end up like that.

Same for us re the FAF. But at the same time, how often are you stuck having to do something else right there? Call tower, configure/checklist, etc?

Again, not making excuses. Just saying I can see how stuff can get sideways, especially in places where you don’t get a whole lot of help.

I’ve never been into Bishkek, but I pass through Almaty, Kazakhstan enough to be familiar. Some things that can add to the workload is being given an arrival to expect as well as well as being told to call your own descent. Then undoubtedly they start messing with your speed.

Kazakhstan gives us cruise altitudes is feet, but as you switch to approach control it switches to Meters. Officially they are “QFE with QNH upon request.” With some really big rocks in the area that is a pretty big threat that requires double checking.

Just an idea if some TEM that happens in some of the less developed places that could certainly add to your workload and potentially help sequence the holes in the Emmentaller.

Back