747F slides off runway in YHZ

I think he meant how young they are or appear to be. We all know the age 60 rule is essential to safety.

Id say, shes a write off! I dont think those lobsters will be making it to GYYYYYYNAAAA. There has been a fair amount of construction at YHZ lately for 05/23. This plane took out the ILS for 14/32 so... Hand fly it in for the next few weeks I guess.

TSB investigators in Halifax after 747 cargo jet goes off runway | CBC News

"Investigators with the Transportation Safety Board have arrived in Halifax after a 747 cargo aircraft went off the end of a runway early Wednesday morning at Halifax Stanfield International Airport and stopped not far from a public road."

Weather within an hour of the incident:

SPECI CYHZ 070912Z 23011G18KT 8SM -RA BR SCT005 BKN012 OVC049
14/14 A2967 RMK SF4SC2SC2 SLP050 DENSITY ALT 800FT=

METAR CYHZ 070900Z 23013KT 7SM -RA BR BKN005 OVC013 14/14
A2967 RMK SF5SC3 SLP050 DENSITY ALT 800FT=

METAR CYHZ 070800Z 21010KT 7SM -RA BR BKN005 OVC036 15/15
A2968 RMK SF5SC3 PRESRR SLP052 DENSITY ALT 900FT=

cargo-jet-halifax.JPG
"Ref plus 20, descending 2000 ft/min"...

It is short for the 747, but should be doable at all but the heaviest weights. I've landed on shorter in that type. We discussed the accident a bit before my sim in same type today. We don't know if they were carrying any performance limiting MEL's, had any other sort of non-normal system states, or if the wind shifted to a tailwind during the approach (or they simply floated too far). The landing could quickly degrade into a situation where stopping distance is insufficient if any of those applied.
Tower gave the crew a final wind reading of 280 at 16 gust 21 and added “confirm you’re still able” according to one article online, unverified.

You know, I just remembered that MK destroyed a 747 back in 2004 off of 05. The airport authority should change their slogan to "50% 747 proof runways."

ILS has been a no-no the last couple of weeks, temporary PAPIs installed too due to construction to build a RESA at each runway. IRONIC!

I wonder if 23 was closed/ILS out. The wind was from 230, and it's 10500ft instead of 7700ft. 7700 is getting short, but for an empty airplane is more than adequate. 23 also has the better of the instrument approaches.
Yeah the ILS was out on 23 and the runway was shortened or closed maybe too can’t remember but I looked it up right after reading about it

I don't find how old someone is to have very much to do with their flying ability.

Say what? There's reasons we have Age 65. The older you get the worse your cognitive/mental skills deteriorate. Not to say all guys in their 60s are like that and to be fair quite a few guys in their 60s are better than they were in their 40s, but by far it is fact that the older you get, your skills start to degrade. As for the younger crowd, they certainly have the motor skills and mental alertness to have good flying ability but it depends on the individual.

I still don't get how you can take a 744 get on a false glideslope and barrel right into a village of people beyond the runway. At no point was there any check for the altitude of the plane at the FAF versus what's on the approach plate or in the box? And speaking of the box, no where did it have the distance to runway, and that number being way off as they flew over the runway and beyond? Just sad all around!

I still don't get how you can take a 744 get on a false glideslope and barrel right into a village of people beyond the runway. At no point was there any check for the altitude of the plane at the FAF versus what's on the approach plate or in the box? And speaking of the box, no where did it have the distance to runway, and that number being way off as they flew over the runway and beyond? Just sad all around!

Overall, I agree. But it’s easy to say things like that when you go to like 10 different airports, all domestic, and the most difficult one is LGA.

Overall, I agree. But it’s easy to say things like that when you go to like 10 different airports, all domestic, and the most difficult one is LGA.
Given my expirience is limited to the Western Hemisphere (North, South and Central America) and the Middle East, I didn’t realize that glideslopes in other parts of the world brought you down to villages beyond the runways.

Fun facts you learn everyday from international pilots.

Given my expirience is limited to the Western Hemisphere (North, South and Central America) and the Middle East, I didn’t realize that glideslopes in other parts of the world brought you down to villages beyond the runways.

Fun facts you learn everyday from international pilots.

First sentence, weenie.

Just saying that sometimes the amount of hand holding that exists in the US by ATC doesn’t exist elsewhere. Again, not excusing what happened.

@Screaming_Emu you came across condescending to Cherokee. You know I won’t let that slide without busting your berries.

Besides, how would you know? I just found out this week that helicopters can’t even fly in the rain. :p

I get that I sounded condescending, that wasn’t an accident. I wasn’t so much attacking his lack of international experience so much as the general attitude of “I don’t understand how that can happen. What were they doing?”

I trust we all have had an experience where we thought we had the picture of what was going on, only to have reality female dog slap us across the face. I usually do jump on anyone who has a “I’d never do that” attitude. A general distrust in my abilities and belief that it CAN happen to me has been quite useful so far in my career.

Back