747 Supertanker

FlyingDevil

There is a NOTAM out for Pinal (MZJ) in AZ for aerial tanker operations being performed by a 747!! Can't seem to find the NOTAM again, but it will be valid from Feb. 15th to Mar. 15th and stated that a 747 will be performing numerous tanker operations in the area. Operating at altitudes ranging from 10,000ft to 800ft AGL. Said this thing could drop 180,000 lbs (25,000 gallons) of water in 8 sec.
shocked.gif

I did some research and found the website about this 747 Supertanker. Evergreen Aviation is heading up the development of this project. Now I don't know about you guys but I would pay to watch a 747 drop 25,000 gallons of water at 800ft. AGL in 8 sec. over the desert.

Going to have to train my students down towards that way to see if I can catch a glimpse of this thing making drops.

Heres the link if you want to know more.
747 Supertanker

I don't think that it would be as exciting as it sounds. I can't see how it would be able to drop 208,631.6 lbs of water at one time. Granted, that would be cool to see but can you imagine the control problem after going 200,000 pounds lighter in a few secs. It would probably drop small portions of the retardent at a time or use some kind of a spray system.
Of course, I would still like to watch a big boy like that making 800 foot passes.

Oh, they've had those for years. How do you think they make all those chemtrails?
grin.gif

Seriously, that's pretty cool. I too would pay to see that.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that it would be as exciting as it sounds. I can't see how it would be able to drop 208,631.6 lbs of water at one time. Granted, that would be cool to see but can you imagine the control problem after going 200,000 pounds lighter in a few secs. It would probably drop small portions of the retardent at a time or use some kind of a spray system.
Of course, I would still like to watch a big boy like that making 800 foot passes.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to Evergreen's website, the aircraft can make one large drop or several smaller ones. It does not use a simple gravity drop like other firefighting tankers. It uses a spray system that is programmed to drop the retardant in coordinated fashion, which keeps the a/c well within CG limits.

[ QUOTE ]
It does not use a simple gravity drop like other firefighting tankers. It uses a spray system that is programmed to drop the retardant in coordinated fashion

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah you want to put the fire out not cause a flood
grin.gif

Back