747 Advanced?

Prospective_Pilot

Would be pretty cool if Boeing went ahead with this and not decide to scrap it like the Sonic Cruiser and the 747XQLR. I give her a 50/50 chance........
smirk.gif

747 Advanced!

Any thoughts?
confused.gif

Re: 747 Adavanced?

I think if I were Boeing, I'd proceed with the Sonic Cruiser.

The big problem with aviation is that nothing has really sparked any true excitement in the aviation world.

Just like Cessna -- Woo hoo, it's a 172R! But to the average Joe, it's just another 1930's design with new electronics.

The new 747 looks like a performance champion, but *SNORE*!
smile.gif
And I'm an airplane geek!

A little less "Honda" and a little more "Burt Rutan" is in order I think.

Man, it sucks Boeing decided to put that Sonic Cruiser on the shelf. That thing looked like it would be a killer of an airplane! Maybe when the economy picks up and everyone and everything is all rosy red again, Boeing might decide to continue with it.

It was going to cost them around 7 billion (I think) to put the thing together. Guess they couldn't get enough customers interested in it to make it worth the cost and then that's probably all because the economy had started it's down turn around the time they annouced plans for it all...........

Boeing needs to do something they are loosing market share and are certainly not nearly as prosperous as they were just a few years ago. I am not sure things like the sonic cruiser, and 747 XXL etc are they way forward - the need to focus on streamlining their operation, saving money, and serving their customers, once you have taken care of that you can spend some time and money on concepts.

Hey look at my name.

What ever keeps the 747 going. I do like the others so I would rather boeing do what they have to to keep them afloat too.

No offense to you airbus fans but I dont trust them for second. I'll probly get some heat for that
blush.gif

Tom

Some guys take things too personally - it is a company!! Your average passenger could not tell you the difference between an Airbus and a Boeing and most of them do not care, just as long as it gets them there.

Exactly. Some of you have probly seen the A vs. B wars over at airliners.net.

I've seen people threaten people that they were going to find them and kick their @#$.
shocked.gif
Probly wouldnt though. Its really funny to read the forums there.

Regards

Tom

What boeing needs to do is come out with a new design that replaces the 737. They have already said that the big jets are not what they think will be a big seller in the future. Make it slightly larger/wider so freaks like me (6'4" 200#) can sit in it. At work i get to work with the 733 and the A319 equally. They both have thier good and bad sides but as an average joe riding on one I much prefer the airbus. They are slightly wider and just a bigger overall airplane. I can get comfortable on a 319, on a 737 i cant stop thinking of how cramped i am.

They keep trying to stretch the 737 and make it newer but it is still the same body with the same engines on it that sit too low and needed to be adjusted. Engines on a 737 are not round for a reason.

Make it about 1 to 2 feet wider, sit it up a little higher, and then put some more new bells a whistles on it. If Boeing would do this, I really think airlines would flock to an airplane like this. People would demand it if it was an option.

Tim

Oh, Im sorry I got the thread off subject.

Yeah the would probly be a good Idea with the 737.

If they could, they could modify the 717. Do what they did with the dc-9 or md-80 I forgot which one they just kept making longer and lonnger and lonnnnnnger.

Tom

The 737 "NG" is a pretty technomological jet, it's just that they should have redesigned the cockpit design (in terms of shape).

The 737 NG's flight deck is like enduring torture in a POW camp in Laos.

Let's put it this way, the -88/90 has an ENORMOUSLY cramped cockpit, and we'll have an occasional 737-800 jumpseater who completely marvels over the spaciousness of the -88/90 flight deck.

A Beech 1900 is almost larger than a 737-800's cockpit.

Wow that is pretty dang small.

I dont thinks much is smaller than the old Lear cockpits. I had to lean my head to sit in it.
shocked.gif

Tom

You know what was shocking was how small the 777 cockpit is.

I was used to the 727 and especially the L1011 that was more of an office 'suite', but the 777 was almost a telephone booth.

realy. I always asumed the 777 was the biggest. I think the 747 cockpit is also small and some carriers also have the crew bunk area in there.

Or do they all have this area.
confused.gif

Tom

I think all of the 747-400's have the crew bunks in the cockpits!

What about the 777's aren't there some airlines that have pilot crew bunks on top of the passenger cabin (in the ceiling) or is this an option that has just recently been made available?

You know I think its two different design 'philosophies' with American compared to European ergonomics. I've heard the Airbus cockpits are designed well for pilot comfort. Also, I'm 6'4" and I have more room in a VW Passat than I do in a Cadillac Deville. It makes no sense, i cant figure out why its done that way.

The most comfortable seat in any airplane is the Jumpseat of an A319. I have been able to sit in that thing a few times as we took the plane over to the hangar. Man its sooo spacious! I can actually fit my legs in there! Oh yeah and there are two of them, kinda a 4 seat cockpit. As for the 737 jumpseat... I dont really understand the idea of putting a seat in an airplane that does not allow any room for your legs. I guess its designed for double leg amputees?

Sitting in the jumpseat on a 319 is makes you feel like captain on the starship enterprise!

I think they use a philosophy like "pilot comfort equalls less passengers, lose money" or something like that.

Getting in is hard but I got to sit in a boeing 737 right seat and it was one of the most comfortable seats ive sat in. Or mabey I have cheap furniture.
grin.gif

The long haul cockpits seats sure as heck better be comfortable. I wouldnt want someone flying my plane who was uncomfortable.

My 2 cents

Tom

[ QUOTE ]
I dont thinks much is smaller than the old Lear cockpits. I had to lean my head to sit in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I my gosh did I really write that. You guys must think Im some kind of back woods redneck.
blush.gif

Correction: "I dont think anything" is smaller than the old lear cockpits.
smirk.gif

Tom

Nah..I just think we all assumed you were a typical lear driver....kidding of course...although it reminds me of a lear joke,

"How do you tell which pilot is a lear Captain and which is the FO?"

"By the way their head tilts."

ha ha

Nah I wish I was flying for hire. Im just a measly Private Pilot. I just got to look around one of our FBO's learjets.

Tom

Back