7-minutes of Terror

294803805_ae455013b3.jpg

Once again, less than a 15 second side story on the morning news right now. "And here's the first shots of one spacecraft imaging another landing on the surface of another planet, very cool".

That was it! Very cool???? That's all they can say about it? Why isn't there a full broadcast special to the Curiosity mission and the men and women behind it who worked so hard? Oh that's right because that's not interesting to anyone, and doesn't involve scandals or hot political topics. WTF is wrong with the media in this country!?!?

15 seconds on this incredible accomplishment, 10 minutes on the damn Chik-Fil-A crap. At least we know where our priorities are.

Once again, less than a 15 second side story on the morning news right now. "And here's the first shots of one spacecraft imaging another landing on the surface of another planet, very cool".

That was it! Very cool???? That's all they can say about it? Why isn't there a full broadcast special to the Curiosity mission and the men and women behind it who worked so hard? Oh that's right because that's not interesting to anyone, and doesn't involve scandals or hot political topics. WTF is wrong with the media in this country!?!?

I'm convinced Jersey Shore and the like are government funded; to distract the dumb dumbs. :tinfoil: Then you have conservative and liberal media(politicians themselves as well) turning politics into the equivalent of the Bears vs. the Packers. Keeps us little people divided, which gets us no where.

Can't say my enthusiasm on facetube caught on either though. :rolleyes:

I'm convinced Jersey Shore and the like are government funded; to distract the dumb dumbs. :tinfoil: Then you have conservative and liberal media(politicians themselves as well) turning politics into the equivalent of the Bears vs. the Packers. Keeps us little people divided, which gets us no where.

Can't say my enthusiasm on facetube caught on either though. :rolleyes:

You know I'm usually one of the first to dive in on a political conversation, but I've stayed clear of them for a while now. This is the first year that I've basically given up on our politicians/government. Conservative/Liberal, Rep/Dem, no one gives a crap about the "common man". They all have their own agenda's, and will do WHATEVER it takes to get votes. You're absolutely right, the media on both sides has turned it into a football game to keep us completely divided, except we're always losers and they are always winners.

I know as election season comes around, ads about "get out, do your part and vote" start appearing. For the first time I want the exact opposite. I hope people just don't vote, as I think that would be more of a statement of how much we're sick of the back and forth bickering in DC.

I don't mean to turn this into a political thread though, this should be about the accomplishment of the men and women at JPL/NASA and the amazing and exciting journey they have ahead of them. I can't speak for others, but I'm pretty excited to see some high quality images of Mars.

Reactions: GX
You could never vote enough IMHO, even if all the candidates are lowlife scum (which they are). Write to your congressperson often, vote always and go out to protest whenever possible. Lose it or use it is an understatement when it comes to these rights. Work within the system yes, but fight for your rights until the bitter end. It seems to be human nature to whine and moan about everything and nothing at once, but no one wants to do enough about "it". Politicans know this, as do all management types. Class warfare has existed since the dawn of mankind. I am not trying to politicize this thread, because I feel that such an issue is universal and most certainly relates to aviation as well, what with the never ending battle between labor and management and all.

It's the chicken and the egg argument.

Politicians act they way they do because it's what the voting population wants to hear.

People vote the way they do because they've been told what they want to hear.

For example, there is a candidate in Arizona running for re-election that promises to "Knock the hell out of Washington".

People cheer.

What in the world does that really mean? You're a freshman from Arizona, the only hell you've been knocking anything out of is your per diem and perhaps a page or two.

He promises to "shake things up" -- shake what up specifically?

"I want to stamp out greed and corruption (and replace it with my own versions of both!)" :)

I hear politicians say stuff like that and I think to myself, "No WAY the majority are stupid enough to buy into this crap!". I do believe the individual is a complete moron in at least one aspect of life. You'll never catch me trying to do interior decorating for example. :D As a country, we can't possibly be this dumb when it comes to politics. Obviously we are. Maybe it's mob mentality.

I don't mean to turn this into a political thread though, this should be about the accomplishment of the men and women at JPL/NASA and the amazing and exciting journey they have ahead of them. I can't speak for others, but I'm pretty excited to see some high quality images of Mars.

Yeah, it's bound to happen though. This only cost 2.6 billion. Imagine what they could do with say 4 times that or more and it would STILL be cheaper than most things. The shuttle needed to be retired. No question about that. Not having a replacement ready to go, in the pipeline, or even an entirely new vehicle(s) is just sad. I should be able to take a vacation on the moon by now!! :D

So that is where he has them stashed. We had better check his birth-certificate also, just to be on the safe side. He may be a Martian.

Back