7-minutes of Terror

Fantastic! Can't wait to see the color images later this week.

Some welcome! That thing costs 2 billion dollars and they are throwing rocks at it. Iran must have beat us to Mars!

manonmarsqx8.jpg

What a great success that landing was! Kudos to the NASA team and their partners.

Did you guys see the first picture sent back from Mars?

255240_504332439596214_1147023620_n.jpg

Reactions: GX
The fact that we can have a satellite orbiting another planet able to take a picture of another probe landing on that planet is amazing

I agree, and I'm annoyed that I barely heard about this on the news this morning, other than as a side story. This is such an amazing accomplishment, yet people still care more about Hollywood gossip than the fact the we were able to land a vehicle on another planet. That image of it descending is just amazing!

I am so proud of NASA. This is such a huge accomplishment that I think it will revolutionize a lot about planetary exploration. Even though we really don't have a space program anymore or even a space shuttle, it's a very big step in the right direction.

I agree, and I'm annoyed that I barely heard about this on the news this morning, other than as a side story. This is such an amazing accomplishment, yet people still care more about Hollywood gossip than the fact the we were able to land a vehicle on another planet. That image of it descending is just amazing!

Yeah, if only. Many folks can't grasp the significance of space exploration, yet are all too quick to gain from the advancements developed from it. Nevermind to boot that it contributes greatly to the economy....

. Even though we really don't have a space program anymore or even a space shuttle, it's a very big step in the right direction.

We don't have a "manned" launch vehicle anymore. I would think that the thousands of Americans involved in the international space station and the dozens of probes and satellites operating throughout the solar system might beg to differ regarding our space program.

I was a big Shuttle fan. We were there for Atlantis's final launch and it was emotional for all of us, epecially those who grew up watching that vehicle. But I've come to realize that it was a low-orbit U-Haul van. We took stuff up and brought stuff back. Most of the science that was done on the shuttle is now done on the ISS.

It was time for NASA to return to the role of exploration. Leave the heavy lifting to commercial providers... and if there happens to be a little competition in technology from firms like SpaceX... well, competition never hurt anyone.

Space. The final frontier. These are the voyages of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. It's continuing voyage to seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go, where no man has gone before.

(yeah, that's from memory. I'm a big nerd)

Those are Tusken Raiders. I hear they like to spend the summers there.

I can see the Tusken Raiders having the following conversation, Long Island-style:

"Where do you SUMMAH?"

"Mars darling..."

"Rent or own?"

"OWN! Like ERRR MER GERRRRRRD."

Reactions: GX
Back