6630 Hours, Multiple Jet Types, Captain, International, Oceanic Experience

So you should be close to holding 76 CA or geting your pick of 74 lines in most bases. This job is super easy and really a ton of fun once you learn to block out all the noise. Go see places in the world most people can't find on a map, have fun even if that means going out by yourself.

I'm not young, and I'm leaving tens of thousands of dollars on the table compared to what I could be making elsewhere. I made more as a Citation X captain, but was expecting a new contract in a reasonable timeframe. Now, I would be surprised if there is a contract before 2019 or 2020. I need to make hay while the sun shines, and get paid for the next several years.

I'm not young, and I'm leaving tens of thousands of dollars on the table compared to what I could be making elsewhere. I made more as a Citation X captain, but was expecting a new contract in a reasonable timeframe. Now, I would be surprised if there is a contract before 2019 or 2020. I need to make hay while the sun shines, and get paid for the next several years.
Coming to an airline expecting a new contract in a certain timeframe is like an owner promising a new jet on the ramp.

Have you considered all of the major airlines that are hiring? Meet all of their requirements and applied?

Like I said, you clearly need to tune out the noise. We are still in what I would call a "reasonable timeframe" for a new CBA. Yea I wish we already had one, but to believe it was going to be less than a year is crazy.

Like I said, you clearly need to tune out the noise. We are still in what I would call a "reasonable timeframe" for a new CBA. Yea I wish we already had one, but to believe it was going to be less than a year is crazy.
What is the average amount of time post amendable in the last 20 years? 5 years maybe?

I appreciate everyone's input. I enjoyed flying business jets. I liked going to work, dealing with challenges professionally, and trying to proactively work for the success of my daily assignment as well as the success of my employer. I liked being valued by companies I worked for, and feeling like they were at least trying to support me in my work. My present job is not like that, and I would like to go back to the type of work I enjoyed. I like getting more than 3 landings a month. I like a schedule that doesn't involve 20 hour layovers and a completely scrambled body clock. I like working for a company that doesn't routinely screw up everything I depend on them for - hotels, flight reservations, transportation, duty times - and then keep me on hold for 30 minutes before I get to talk to a person.

I don't regret flying heavy cargo; I increased my international experience and got some ocean crossings. My qualifications have increased as a result. For me right now, my ideal job would be home based with a schedule rotation of 15on/15off or similar for a straight-shooting (legal, not 134.5) operator with a decent paycheck. I would forgo the home based part and relocate for an attractive opportunity. A large cabin business jet would be nice, but I will fly anything if the QOL is there. I'm 52, and I have some other business ventures, so I could possibly hang up my wings in 6-8 years. For that reason I would rather have a great part 91 or 135 job now than an entry level, low seniority 121 job. It seems like this conversation has gotten into the pros and cons of airline work and contract expectations. I'm not here to weigh in on that, and I know that 121 flying may be the best path for many. For me, if anyone knows a position in a Falcon, Challenger, Gulfstream, Citation or Phenom 300, I would love to hear about it. Thanks!

Phenom 300

If you're alright with moving to Naples FL, there is a straight shooting 135 flying these that I work for.
Schedule is not quite there, but the pilot group is doubling in size over the next two month with the already hired guys in training, so should be getting much better.
PM if interested

I appreciate everyone's input. I enjoyed flying business jets. I liked going to work, dealing with challenges professionally, and trying to proactively work for the success of my daily assignment as well as the success of my employer. I liked being valued by companies I worked for, and feeling like they were at least trying to support me in my work. My present job is not like that, and I would like to go back to the type of work I enjoyed. I like getting more than 3 landings a month. I like a schedule that doesn't involve 20 hour layovers and a completely scrambled body clock. I like working for a company that doesn't routinely screw up everything I depend on them for - hotels, flight reservations, transportation, duty times - and then keep me on hold for 30 minutes before I get to talk to a person.

I don't regret flying heavy cargo; I increased my international experience and got some ocean crossings. My qualifications have increased as a result. For me right now, my ideal job would be home based with a schedule rotation of 15on/15off or similar for a straight-shooting (legal, not 134.5) operator with a decent paycheck. I would forgo the home based part and relocate for an attractive opportunity. A large cabin business jet would be nice, but I will fly anything if the QOL is there. I'm 52, and I have some other business ventures, so I could possibly hang up my wings in 6-8 years. For that reason I would rather have a great part 91 or 135 job now than an entry level, low seniority 121 job. It seems like this conversation has gotten into the pros and cons of airline work and contract expectations. I'm not here to weigh in on that, and I know that 121 flying may be the best path for many. For me, if anyone knows a position in a Falcon, Challenger, Gulfstream, Citation or Phenom 300, I would love to hear about it. Thanks!
Good luck, hope you find something that makes you happy. Out of curiosity and forgive me for sounding redundant but besides the prospects of a new contract why did you apply to your present employer. The contract and working conditions were well known when i got hired and i was there about a year before you.

Good luck, hope you find something that makes you happy. Out of curiosity and forgive me for sounding redundant but besides the prospects of a new contract why did you apply to your present employer. The contract and working conditions were well known when i got hired and i was there about a year before you.

It was a calculated risk. I knew the situation, but hoped things would go better with negotiations. There were indications that contract negotiations might be conducted in good faith; the hiring environment, new contracts with big customers, etc. I also considered that if I turned down the offer at that time, it would not come again. Another point is that if I took it and a new contract was signed I would be in a good position, but if I waited until a contract was signed, they would get flooded with better resumes than mine, and it would be like trying to get a call from the majors to get on with them. I don't regret it, and I understood the risk, but there is not much downside. I have a 747 type, got some crossings, and increased the scope of my international experience, got some 121 time. All good. But it looks to me now, the way the winds are blowing there, there are better places to be.

Did you not learn a bit about the company before coming here? None of these things are particularly surprising.

What airframe? What kind of rotation? What's the pay? What country is this in? Will your company be buying tickets to/ from work? I think that'll get us at least started... welcome to Jetcareers.
Type diplomats.com into your url bar.

Type diplomats.com into your url bar.
That didn't help...;)
Screenshot_20180811-201540.png

Back