$500 for a buddy pass?! aka "You GOTS to be kidding"

Re: $500 for a buddy pass?! aka \"You GOTS to be kidding\"

WOW! We all should post other auctions that are selling stock options and profit sharing from our retirement funds. Would someone really invest in this guy?

Well he is definitely bold and industrious.

Oh my! Now he is retracting! He should have been completely 100% clear before posting that! Is it wrong of me to think that's kind of sleazy? I mean, hold a car wash, mow lawns, do what ever you need to but don't beg it off people. Of course I guess, if they are willing to give it who am I to complain? I just think that's a little tacky. He should at the very least pay the people back when/if he gets employed. I would work a night shift as a Taco Bell manager for $35K a year before I would ask strangers to fund my dreams.

Oh, and I don't understand how that works as an auction either. Only the highest bidder wins, so what was he planning on doing?

AND another thing. (gee I have a lot to say about this. Lol) Was he going to inform any $500 donator that he would only get the buddy passes AFTER he completes his training (one year from now??) AND IF he gets hired by them as an instructor AFTER waiting in the waiting pool? Hey dude I promise to give you a buddy pass, but it might not happen and it will take at least 18 months before I have it (maybe), oh wait, I can't give you anything cause it's against the rules, so never mind, just give me your money in exchange for a big fat NOTHING!

I do not agree with it - buddy passes are just that - things you give to friend, to make up for not being able to hang out with them as your schedule is unsociable. I agree he should save up, get a personal/educational loan, or work through training - it will not be easy, but I think it is the correct way to go about it.

My other concern is - it is not easy becoming an airline pilot - behind banging arounf FL, in a small plane, there is a lot of studying, check-rides, etc which produce an great ups and downs which weed out a lot of people.

I do wish the guy the very best and I hope he reaches his dream - however he will need determination, but if he has that he will be flying with us all.

Sell a buddy pass, lose your job.

Good waste of one of the best careers out there....
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Hey, that's just one less guy competing against you!

Any way we can make sure this gets on EVERY resume he ever sends out???
mad.gif

Remember, this is a guy who thinks getting a job is as easy as obtaining the money for flight school and thinks that people would actually 'bid' to give him $500-plus each to purchase a buddy pass, if and when he gets hired at an airline.

Something that would get him fired in an instant at most carriers.

I think this poor kid saw one of the glossey advertisements from these pilot factories, thought that is awesome, I would enjoy that. Unfortunately he was lured in, before he visited JC and learnt how it really is. I feel bad for the kid, and hope he will stick it out and not get discouraged, by this episode or any of the others down the road.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey,

You should check out www.jetcareers.com if you want to know about
becoming a pilot it is a very useful resource.

Kelly

P.S. not to rain on your parade, but selling of airline buddy passes is
strictly prohibited by the airlines and delta connection.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sent our ebaying friend an email, hopefully he will "see the light".

It seems he is playing a different song and dance now.

[ QUOTE ]
On Oct-19-03 at 08:51:43 PDT, seller added the following information:

PLEASE READ!

I found out through some sources affiliated with the Airline industry that I am not allowed to offer Buddy Passes for personal gain. If I do, I would be terminated as an Airline Pilot.
Because there was a 99 cent bid, I was not able to modify this listing, but was only able to add to it.
Please understand that I want to be compliant in every way to get into the Airlines, that means I will not be able to offer buddy passes for donations.

IF YOU ARE DONATING, PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT I NOW CAN ONLY OFFER A SINCERE THANK YOU AND I AM NOT ABLE TO OFFER ANY BUDDY PASSES. IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS, OR REQUEST ANY RETURNED FAVORS, LET ME KNOW.

Again, I appologies and hope you can understand.

Thank You!

[/ QUOTE ]

So if I donate, what do I get?
smile.gif

A t-shirt? Another Squawk Box Gladiator?

Enquiring minds and all that...

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, that's just one less guy competing against you!

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug, I like your thinking!
grin.gif

Just one of those epiphanies I've had!

I stopped being so voracious about pursuing a bachelor's degree because I figure those that are smart enough to take the advice don't need the extra competition of another pilot who drug himself through four years of college simply because I berated him into it.
smile.gif

Here's another crazy

It's against the term's and conditions on the back of the coupon to sell them...and what's worse, they're FREE!!! I get them in the mail from NW (and other places like in my Visa bill, MCI bill) all the time. Maybe I can start to fund my flying that way...

What I like about this guy is he seems very sincere in his retraction after learning the facts of the buddy pass system. I'd give him an A for creativity but an F for research.

I'm bothered by his involving his church in the enterprise. Don't believe that all churches would get involved in a scheme like this...he must have friends in high places at his church...which is kinda sad....

Back