$500 for a buddy pass?! aka "You GOTS to be kidding"

Re: $500 for a buddy pass?! aka \"You GOTS to be kidding\"

[ QUOTE ]
he must have friends in high places at his church...

[/ QUOTE ]

Who, Daddy. I mean Pastor
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Hey if anyone wants to send me money I wouldn't stop ya. If I could raise 35 million I could by my own GV, I'd give you all a ride.....honest!
grin.gif

(this was just a joke, please don't send me money!)

Anyone who would take a buddy pass for $500 is crazy also. You can get a confirmed seat for a lot less than that. The buddy pass idea is a good one because at least we make something instead of an empty seat but I cant stand it when people ask for them. Its amazing how many people that I havent talked to in years all of a sudden call. I get rid of mine as soon as I get them to avoid people asking.

[ QUOTE ]
I think this poor kid saw one of the glossey advertisements from these pilot factories, thought that is awesome, I would enjoy that. Unfortunately he was lured in, before he visited JC and learnt how it really is. I feel bad for the kid, and hope he will stick it out and not get discouraged, by this episode or any of the others down the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

You wanna know something funny? From an advertising standpoint, those ads suck. And I'm not the only one saying that.

I could bore you with why those ads aren't very good from a creative standpoint, but I won't.

Golly gee whiz, I'm halfway up the ladder to becoming an airline pilot. Now your telling me I won't be able to sell my buddy passes on e-bay????!!!!
smirk.gif

Hey .. I have an old, expired, personally signed, TWA term pass I'll sell for One Meellion Dollars - or a cheeseburger extra value meal.

It's only worth is sentimental (to me) so hey start bidding. Right now!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You wanna know something funny? From an advertising standpoint, those ads suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Roger that. How about terminating the services of "Joe Desktop Publisher" and paying for a real live designer to do your ads?

"Let's see how much text and how many cluttered, poor quality, photoshop-doctored, cheesy photos we can fit on an ad!" And what is up with Westwind's ads? They're a total rip off of FlightSafety's (though FSA has changed them as of late) - same color blocks, even the same colors!

Flying magazines make me cringe because 99% of the flight school and educational material ads are absolutely PAINFUL to look at. Stepping down off my graphic designer's soapbox now. Carry on.

You know what the dumbest thing about this idea is, is that he's only going to get money from one person. He could get thousands of bids for $.50 that would all total $500, but he's only going to get cash from the one guy that bids $1.00. Even beggers on street corners are smart enough to take all donations offered.

[ QUOTE ]
Flying magazines make me cringe because 99% of the flight school and educational material ads are absolutely PAINFUL to look at. Stepping down off my graphic designer's soapbox now. Carry on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. The best aviation related ad I've seen in a while is Boeing's. It's absolutely gorgeous. It's just a kid holding a globe in his hands, and the tag line is "Around here, we fly farther and faster than anyone."

Okay, so maybe we're not talking about the same goal for the flight schools and Boeing. After all, nobody's going to pick up the phone and say, hey, give me one of dem 747s when they see Boeing's ad and that's not their goal. But it's still a great ad and the flight schools would be well advised to take a few hints from it.

Back