450 TT 155 Multi - Just found a P/T SIC Citation Jet gig

I'm a right seat low-timer (1400TT, 100 in make/model, formally 0) where Jimmy_Norton used to work, and yes, good CRM makes an inexperienced low timer into a useful crew member very quickly. In training I saw bad CRM wash one guy out, and almost a second. He had the attitude of "When things get busy, I'm just going to do everything myself". It was a control issue, and he almost didn't make it through training. He was really hard to fly with in the sim too.

I'm a right seat low-timer (1400TT, 100 in make/model, formally 0) where Jimmy_Norton used to work, and yes, good CRM makes an inexperienced low timer into a useful crew member very quickly. In training I saw bad CRM wash one guy out, and almost a second. He had the attitude of "When things get busy, I'm just going to do everything myself". It was a control issue, and he almost didn't make it through training. He was really hard to fly with in the sim too.
For me there is no replacement for experience, I understand that everyone has to start somewhere, unfortunately I am not a flight instructor, the guys I fly with in the G550 are all fairly high time guys with a ton of ocean crossings under their belts, love flying with them and we work great as a crew, the same for when I was on the 747 and 777, all fairly high time guys, CRM was not an issue, guess that I am just a grumpy old man and dont have the ability to teach someone what I figure they should already know by the time they get to flying a jet.

Not saying my attitude or beliefs are correct, but they are what they are, the important thing is that I have identified them and now work within the environment that I am comfortable with.

For me there is no replacement for experience, I understand that everyone has to start somewhere, unfortunately I am not a flight instructor, the guys I fly with in the G550 are all fairly high time guys with a ton of ocean crossings under their belts, love flying with them and we work great as a crew, the same for when I was on the 747 and 777, all fairly high time guys, CRM was not an issue, guess that I am just a grumpy old man and dont have the ability to teach someone what I figure they should already know by the time they get to flying a jet.

Not saying my attitude or beliefs are correct, but they are what they are, the important thing is that I have identified them and now work within the environment that I am comfortable with.

A G550 and a CJ are two VERY different airplanes. I think the citation is easier to fly than a 172. A 500 hour guy in a G550 is probably not a good or safe idea. In a citation, he/she is fine, as long they have a clear outline of what to do and not to do.

Jimmy is right on the Citation being easy to fly. Just did my first turbine flight in a Citation II with that company.

The CP was VERY good at giving a heads up on everything and played a great SIC while he let he fly the plane. Took off in 030OVC and 10. Did .8 actual and broke out 300 above mins and the touchdown was as smooth as any other in the Navajo I now have about 200 hours in.

Had an absolute blast! On each side of the empanage!

Not saying my attitude or beliefs are correct, but they are what they are, the important thing is that I have identified them and now work within the environment that I am comfortable with

I know some gave you crap about your CRM skills, but the fact that you take ownership and admit to being potentially wrong is nice to see, specially on the internet. Wish more people could accept the other side of things as easy. Kudos to you.

You wise old guys with the experience and knowledge will have to pass it on to the newbies so that they can get as experienced as you guys. Try looking at it that way. :)

I have no ocean crossing experience, but I can get you across the Caribbean like a champ. :)

Then we will agree to disagree. A single pilot airplane with an very under experienced right seater vs. no one is much more distracting to the typed pilot. Again we can disagree, but you will not change my mind, I did it quite a few times on the CJ1 and CJ2 I used to fly, turned out I would rather fly alone then take a low timer with me.

I am going to have to agree with you in part because I have flown with 250 hour pilot in a beech 1900 sold IMC going missed and being very comfortable with them. On the other hand I have had 5000 hours sitting next to me not knowing what is going on changing the radios and just being very distracting. I think it is most of all the person vs the time.

A bit of an update...

Haven't heard a single thing back from the Citation Operator.

However I have just had my third trip with a 135 that operates a KingAir C90/L and BE200. Haven't been in any trips in the 200 yet but after being at the controles 4 times in the C90 I have most of the flows memorized and feel very confident in handling the aircraft now. There were 3 trips that were turned down this weekend while we were out and the 200 is a new addition to the company so there are indications that there will be a bit of flying to do here in the future. And they offer a reimbursement for SIC/PIC training and checkride. So it looks like thats where im going to be for the mean time.

Now I have to find something to fill the down time with. Only so much studying one can do and the bills still need to get paid when im not flying.

Back