231 knots!

EatSleepFly

How's that for a groundspeed? Not very good if you are flying a jet or turboprop I guess...but not bad for a Bonanza, eh? 2.7 hrs. from PDK (Atlanta) to LNN (near Cleveland)!
cool.gif

My top groundspeed in the Bonanza was 230 knots, which is almost as impressive as what you did! My all-time record as PIC is in the King Air 200 ... 385 in level flight, and 440 in a shallow descent. Not bad for an airplane that trues 265!

FL270

The most out of character that I saw was 160 in a PA-28-151. I have only broken 200 once in a Piper Seminole, but just barely 203.

ZP

285 at FL250 in a Malibu. I've also had a C-172RG Cutlass up over 200 knots ground speed in a descent.

Re: -10 knots

A pilot flying a cub received an FAA violation for moving backwards on the ILS at Salem, OR. Note to self, never try to shoot an ILS in a CUB with massive headwinds.

[ QUOTE ]
A pilot flying a cub received an FAA violation for moving backwards on the ILS at Salem, OR. Note to self, never try to shoot an ILS in a CUB with massive headwinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I"m trying to think of what violation he could have gotten under part 91.

Apparently this one was ILS equipped with an ADF. The same day I was teaching in the Seminole. We turned into the wind and set up for slow flight. The Garmin 430 showed a 20 knot ground speed.

That's cool and all, but don't planes have to be certified for flight into IMC beyond their avonics? Case in point, the DA-20, which can't fly into clouds because it has no protection against static electricity buildup/lighting strikes. Does the covering on a Cub conduct that static electricity away from the wing?

MAybe the ILS was in VMC.....under VFR. All the pilot really needs is a NAV/COM with a glide slope reciever.

385 in the Saab, slow descent (500 FPM). 375 or so level flight in the Saab. Both times coming back from Des Moines.

We have this "unofficial contest/goal" going around on the line for the crew that breaks 400 in level flight. They get a pat on the back.
laugh.gif

The fastest I can remember going, I never noticed in the jet (no GPS), is 340 in an MU2, of course I've done a little better in the citation.

Back