2022-2023 cycle raises

fps1

Not pointed at a particular airline, but on average the 2022-2023 contract renewal raises were around 20%. Average American purchasing power has been eroded by 22.41% Since Jan 2020. Basically, we broke even. Meanwhile the pilot groups are averaging closer to 50% raises. Do we not value ourselves more? If 500 dispatchers secure a 75k raise it adds 37.5 million to an airline’s costs. A two day strike in 2019 at IAG across the pond canceled 2325 flights at a cost of 137 million pounds. So, do we just feel like we make enough and don’t have the desire to fight for more?

Where are you pulling the 50% increase for pilots during 2022-2023? If you can share, thanks in advance.

Anyways.. Even the most recent tentative agreement for pilots at SWA puts their group at around 29% for the first year, for a total of 50% over 5 years from DOS. They’re calling this an industry leading contract at 29% over the first year. A few months ago AAL secured around 21% for the first year on their new contract.

So even our recent gains at around 20-24% (not verified), puts it nearly inline with that industry leading example on a role that’s different from ours. Recall that this role requires something to the tune of 50-100K USD to even grace the right seat at a regional. Well that, or you sign the dotted line with Uncle Sam and serve for a few years.

I commend your desire to improve our group’s wages. But… this take just reminds me of the trending 170K that UPS drivers earn. Oh wait, it’s actually closer to half that amount… Except news outlets tacked on health insurance and other benefits that inflated actual salaries. It just doesn’t sit right, but I hope you’re bringing this desire and energy to your shop’s negotiations.

Dispatch is one of the only jobs in the Country that is federally required. They tried to get rid of us 13 years ago and it was DEFEATED, thanks mostly to the ADF for their hard work. Anyone know how hard it would be to get a job federally protected passed into law today?!? Yet, today, most dispatch workgroups just take what's given to them on the first offer. Use that federal protection to your advantage. Oh the carriers will fire us? Good luck making your flight schedule work then.

Dispatch is one of the only jobs in the Country that is federally required. They tried to get rid of us 13 years ago and it was DEFEATED, thanks mostly to the ADF for their hard work. Anyone know how hard it would be to get a job federally protected passed into law today?!? Yet, today, most dispatch workgroups just take what's given to them on the first offer. Use that federal protection to your advantage. Oh the carriers will fire us? Good luck making your flight schedule work then.
I don't think that's a fair assessment to say "most" are given what is offered. SWA voted down the first TA. Just because most TAs are successful doesn't mean the negotiating committees are taking what is given them. On the contrary, I think TAs getting voted in shows the negotiations generally are viewed as a success. I'm all for record raises, but at the end of the day you have to be willing to meet somewhere in the middle or else you risk losing big bucks fighting for years over what may prove to be no improvement over what was being offered. Being under the RLA really handcuffs our industry when it comes to striking. Again, I'm not saying we shouldn't ask for more but at some point the company will just walk away and see you in arbitration. That's not favorable.

Back