2009 ATC Pay Bands / Locality Rates / Facility Levels

Looking at the FAA Facility datasheets through terminal applications I get the following:

SCT: Level 12
E10: Level 8

ATO Experience En Route & Oceanic Services site(Updated 01/02/09) says:

ZOA: Level 11
ZLA: Level 12

Looking at the FAA Facility datasheets through terminal applications I get the following:

SCT: Level 12
E10: Level 8

ATO Experience En Route & Oceanic Services site(Updated 01/02/09) says:

ZOA: Level 11
ZLA: Level 12

That makes me happy. I like hearing LVL 12...it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside;)

You've done a great job explaining the pay bands, etc. I am confused on one thing though. At the very top left side of the chart under Career Level there is CPC/TMC/TMS as well as minimum and maximum pay. What determines if you receive the minimum or maximum? Why would someone get the minimum and another the maximum pay? Is this determined by your appraisal reports?

I put this together as I just realized we didn't have it as a sticky and thought it'd be good to have the pay stuff in one post, especially for the new applicants who are asking about it. Some of the descriptions I borrowed from "Seven" from another site.

2009 ATC Pay Bands (Does not include Academy pay rate):

On the left side of the page is the Career Level column. This column represents your progression through the training program. It has been divided into five sections described below:

AG: Initial hire pay grade. This is the pay grade that all off-the-street (OTS) and Collegiate Training Initiative (CTI) students will be paid AFTER they graduate from the FAA Academy in Oklahoma City.

D1: This is the first pay raise. AFTER you have completed 25% of the training requirements at your duty facility, you will be promoted to this pay band. ARTCC controllers: this is after you are certified on 2-3 D-Sides in your area. Terminal controllers: Sorry...don't have an answer for you.

D2: This the second pay raise. AFTER you have completed 50% of the training requirements at your duty facility, you will be promoted to this pay band. ARTCC controllers: this is after you are certified on ALL D-Sides in your area.

D3: This is the third pay raise. AFTER you have completed 75% of the training requirements at your duty facility, you will be promoted to this pay band. ARTCC controllers: this is after you have completed radar school, and are certified on 2-3 radar positions.

CPC: This is the final pay raise you will receive when you have completed the training program.

Note: If you are an initial hire (all hiring sources) you will always be paid the minimum while in training.

At the top of the pay scale are nine columns numbered from 4 to 12. They represent the facility complexity level. Most ARTCCs are Level 10-12 facilities. When you receive an offer letter, it will disclose the facility level. Facility levels are shown in the gray chart below.

2009paybands-1.jpg

2009 Locality Rates:

You will receive a locality rate added to your base salary. To calculate total salary including locality... (PAY + (PAY * LOCALITY %)). To see pay bands with locality already included click here, open the link under "Air Traffic Specialized Pay Plan Tables" that is titled "Including Locality Pay".

If your location is not listed you will fall under "Rest of the US" in bold. Click here for definition of locality areas.

2009locality.jpg

Facility Levels

I know these might be blurry, but as much as I tried it wouldn't get any better, PhotoBucket wouldn't let me go any bigger.

facilitylevels.jpg

For more information, visit the My FAA site by clicking here.

Ok, either I picked a place that is REALLY going to suck or one of the graphs on this link isn't complete. I am hoping for ZAN of A11 but it looks like they don't qualify for locality pay. Is this true? Alaska is really friggin' expensive so I hope that that graph is just incorrect.

Alaska is treated like the other locations outside of the continental US such as Hawaii, Guam, Puerto Rico, etc. They get a COLA (Cost Of Living Adjustment) instead of locality. You can find the COLA pecentages here: http://www.opm.gov/oca/cola/rates.asp

You've done a great job explaining the pay bands, etc. I am confused on one thing though. At the very top left side of the chart under Career Level there is CPC/TMC/TMS as well as minimum and maximum pay. What determines if you receive the minimum or maximum? Why would someone get the minimum and another the maximum pay? Is this determined by your appraisal reports?

Everyone starts at the minimum pay. The maximum pay is just a cap that you can't exceed during the course of your career as you get raises and such that accumulate over a 20-30+ year career.

Ok, either I picked a place that is REALLY going to suck or one of the graphs on this link isn't complete. I am hoping for ZAN of A11 but it looks like they don't qualify for locality pay. Is this true? Alaska is really friggin' expensive so I hope that that graph is just incorrect.

AK gets COLA (cost of living adj.) and for this year ZAN gets 23% (and going down 1% each year). It's really not much compared to actual living costs in AK, but it is tax free (as opposed to locality pay).

Just wondering, why would my FOL not reflect this new scale? Class starts in February, but the salary is based on the old pay.

Straight from my HR rep: If your effective date is after 1/1/09, then yes you will be paid the increased amount.

There is one minor detail that is wrong, it mentions that you get your raise when you complete your training in OKC, but in reality you get your facility payafter you complete the Basics part of your training in OKC if you are off the street. :yup:

Oh, so people destined for a center actually get the higher pay for a portion of the time they are still at the Academy?

Oh, so people destined for a center actually get the higher pay for a portion of the time they are still at the Academy?
Instead of "facility pay", I think that should read "locality pay". e.g. Denver is 22.03%, vs 13.86% for OKC.

There is one minor detail that is wrong, it mentions that you get your raise when you complete your training in OKC, but in reality you get your facility payafter you complete the Basics part of your training in OKC if you are off the street. :yup:

Then why does your FOL read that you won't get the "AG" pay until you arrive at your facility?

Instead of "facility pay", I think that should read "locality pay". e.g. Denver is 22.03%, vs 13.86% for OKC.

Facility pay is the "AG" line, before you check out on anything... has nothing to do with locality.

Don't know what your TOL's or FOL's say but i do know what i got paid while i was in basics and what my check was after i got out of it into my next class. As for locality pay, everyone gets that no matter where you are in the process i.e. class or facility

That is news to me... GOOD news! Thanks for the heads-up!

I printed out one of the paysacales and at the bottom it said as of Jan 4th 2009, controller pay is capped at 177k including locality pay. Has there always been a law capping the pay, or is that new? I guess I just don't understand the significance of it, considering people only get paid according to the pay scale, so why do thye need a law limiting the pay as well?

I printed out one of the paysacales and at the bottom it said as of Jan 4th 2009, controller pay is capped at 177k including locality pay. Has there always been a law capping the pay, or is that new? I guess I just don't understand the significance of it, considering people only get paid according to the pay scale, so why do thye need a law limiting the pay as well?

I pretty sure that 177K is a cap for salaried managers and administrators. The cap does not include controllers who may have a very high base pay and work tons of overtime which could put them above 177K.

I searched but couldn't find a definite number for academy pay. 6pk of Sam Adams to the 1st person that knows the real answer.

The Academy pay rate is approximately $17540/year before locality is added. This also does not include the per diem.

Back