From the NTSB:
NTSB ADVISORY

National Transportation Safety Board
Washington, DC 20594

June 30, 2009

NTSB INVESTIGATING RUNWAY INCURSIONS IN CLEVELAND

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating
two runway incursions that occurred at Cleveland Hopkins
International Airport (CLE) in Cleveland, Ohio.

The most recent occurred at 8:56 a.m. EDT on Friday, June
26, 2009. Express Jet flight 2426, an E-145, was cleared by
the tower developmental controller to cross runway 24L at
taxiway S in order to depart from runway 24R. Approximately
19 seconds later, the same controller cleared CommutAir
flight 8717, a DH8, for takeoff on runway 24L. The Express
Jet flight crew saw the departing airplane and advised the
tower controller they would not cross the runway. CommutAir
8717 rotated about 1,500 feet from where Express Jet 2426
was positioned.

The incident is the second of its kind at CLE in three
weeks. On June 3, 2009, at 3:15 p.m. EDT, a runway incursion
occurred in which a B-737 was cleared by a developmental
controller to taxi into position the same runway on which an
E-145 was cleared and entering for take-off. The E-145 crew
saw the B737 and queried the tower controller. The two
flights came within 500 feet of each other on runway 6L.
This was the same developmental controller involved in the
June 26 incident.

"You see that flash of light in the corner of your eye? That's your career dissipation light. It just went into high gear."

From the NTSB:

"You see that flash of light in the corner of your eye? That's your career dissipation light. It just went into high gear."

I'm assuming a "developmental controller" is a new guy?

How many incidents like this does it take to give a controller the boot? I'm curious how controller training is conducted these days, especially in light of the harsh treatment pilot training has been receiving (rightfully so in some respects). If this was a trainee, where was his/her supervisor? Reminds me of that FDX DC-10 crash where the FO, who was being supervised for previous deficiencies, crashed the aircraft with a check airman in the left seat.

The issue of aptitude and experience rises its head once again, with the addition of possible flaws in training/supervision. I just hope they don't crucify one new controller to cover up a systemic problem. We're starting to see a noticeable (not huge, but visible) increase in ATC error within our safety program.

dang, I don't know who to feel more sorry for the developmental controller or the cpc that was watching over them?

Even when EVERY ATC facility wasn't a training facility (like they are now) Cleveland was one. Even Charlotte doesn't slow you down, speed you up and turn you around as much as CLE does.

How many incidents like this does it take to give a controller the boot?

Three. Take my word for it - I'm practically an expert - I watched the movie "Pushing Tin". Twice. :D

(I actually have no idea what the true answer to your question is)

So the guy cleared the 145 to cross the runway THEN cleared the -8 for takeoff 19 seconds later?
If the 145 would have crossed the runway what would the problem have been? Surely 19 seconds is enough to cross and clear a runway?

So the guy cleared the 145 to cross the runway THEN cleared the -8 for takeoff 19 seconds later?
If the 145 would have crossed the runway what would the problem have been? Surely 19 seconds is enough to cross and clear a runway?

Depends on where the 145 was when he was cleared, taxing to the intersection or holding short.

I've been cleared to cross a runway when I am still several hundred yards away from it.

Also, I know you don't fly *big* planes so you obviously wouldn't know this, but it sometimes takes a few seconds to get enough momentum to start rolling forward:)

Also, I know you don't fly *big* planes so you obviously wouldn't know this, but it sometimes takes a few seconds to get enough momentum to start rolling forward:)

Yeah, those silly 2400 shp engines I use are pretty responsive.:insane:

I don't see anything that points to it being the same person...where'd that conclusion come from?

RD

A developmental controller is a controller who is not fully certified to do every job at his or her facility. He was most likely certified to do the job he was doing otherwise a supervisor or trainer would have probably caught the mistake.

Is being a ATC fun?? Its something i've never really thought of pursueing because I didnt like the idea of being in that dark room all day.

I don't know yet, I think it is going to be fun, but I haven't been to school yet, I just do A LOT of reading on the subject. There was an incident back in May where a developmental controller at the Memphis Center allowed two planes to get too close over Kentucky. That article stated that he was working the position alone and that he was certified for it, but had not become a Certified Professional Controller (meaning he was not fully certified at his facility).

Back