2 runway incursions, same controller???

one of the news stations here (in cleveland) picked up the story and really threw the controller under the bus - I wonder if we'll ever hear the controller's side?

It's just going to get worse. With new hires coming in at levels not seen since the 1981 strike -- except with far more people with no controlling experience whatsoever -- and fewer people available to train in with less time given to each developmental, safety's going to suffer.

I am a dev at VGT and my thoughts are where is the OJTI? Yes it's true you can be certified on certain local positions and not be CPC but if you are training on a position your OJTI should be paying attention. That is one thing I can say for the OJTIs here...they are on the ball. Questioning every single move thought or word you do/say. I can't even sneeze without being questioned my intentions, the cause and effect it will have on the movement of the airplanes. Sometimes it's overwhelming but I always have full confidence that my OJTIs are on the ball. We are a training facility and we have 7 Devs right now and 14 CPCs so we are constantly training. lax is one thing you cannot be.

2 runway incursions???? I'm thinking it's time for some classroom instruction till this Dev gets a fire lit under their ass not to try and put 2 airplanes together repeatedly!!! This coming from the RWY incursion capitol of the world (VGT) soon everyone will have all the freakin readbacks we do. Hold short of everything..readback hold short of everything...cross everything...

C734XH RWY 25 TAXI VIA HOTEL, ALPHA, HOLD SHORT OF RWY 12R ON HOTEL.....C4XH RWY 25 WILL HOLD SHORT OF RWY 12R ON HOTEL...C4XH VIA HOTEL CROSS RWY 12R AND RWY 12L VIA HOTEL, JOIN ALPHA, TAXI TO AND HOLD SHORT OF RWY 25.....C4XH WILL CROSS RWY 12R AND L VIA HOTEL, JOIN ALPHA, TAXI TO AND HOLD SHORT OF RWY 25,,,,(That is for every single IFR departure...and we have a lot!!!) PITA!!!!! Ya'll don't want to end up doing this!!!! I promise!!!!

Reason why lower level facilities are over staffed and the FAA forces OT on controllers at high level facilities.

CLE approach usually isn't bringing an "A" game. The tower/ground freqs seem to run more smoothly.

YIP & ARB have enough Developmentals for right now.... sometimes I get genuinely scared up there...

ARB's new controller had a plane going the wrong way around the pattern.... 5 going one way and you send the sixth the other way WTF?

RD

YIP & ARB have enough Developmentals for right now.... sometimes I get genuinely scared up there...

ARB's new controller had a plane going the wrong way around the pattern.... 5 going one way and you send the sixth the other way WTF?

RD

That's crazy, I was almost sent to ARB

We had some new controllers down here in TOL, but I think they're all certified now. I've never had a problem with any of them.

one of the news stations here (in cleveland) picked up the story and really threw the controller under the bus - I wonder if we'll ever hear the controller's side?

I have heard it. Southwest blew a TIPH and entered the runway at a intersection and not at the departure end of the runway. Thats the first incident. I haven't heard the full story on the second incident The controller in question is a good person, and is in training, and will continue to be trained. We all make mistakes, they were caught, and no one was hurt.

I look at it as a reminder they may be there for our safety, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have our head on a swivel all the time. Everyone knows there is a lot of trainees out there in the system right now.

The controller in question is a good person, and is in training, and will continue to be trained. We all make mistakes, they were caught, and no one was hurt.

I have some sympathy, we all screw up. But first and foremost I want a qualified gal/guy working in the towers and in our cockpits. If they're nice that's icing on the cake. A good guy who can't cut it should move on.

I have some sympathy, we all screw up. But first and foremost I want a qualified gal/guy working in the towers and in our cockpits. If they're nice that's icing on the cake. A good guy who can't cut it should move on.

I completely agree with you, as long as he or she is given the chance to be trained properly, and safely, to standards.

Back