1st SOLO

chuck91

I did my solo today and I did not know that it was possible to have so many different feelings running through your body at once, it was just incredible. We flew from Ft. Meade/Tipton airfield to Ridgely airport across the Chesapeake Bay around 20 miles east of the Ches.Bay Bridge. Did some stalls, steep turns and slow flight at 3000 ft. Then at around 2 miles out from the airport, did a sim. engine out and landed. Then I did one pattern with the instructor for good measure, then he got out of the plane. I instantly became terrified, but I knew what I had to do. Made my calls, got lined up on the center line and off I went, meanwhile my heart is going 100mph. Crosswind ok, down wind ok, base ok, final ok, over the runway I hit the ground too hard and poped right back up into the air, the plane came down hard again and went straight back up and even did it a third time. On the third time I went full throttle for a go around. Now, my heart is going 200mph, but I stayed calm raise the flaps and did my go around with no problem. Now I'm back on final and saying to myself KEEP THE NOSE UP, in which I did and landed with no problem. I had the biggest grin on my face at that point. I did two more good landings(the last one was the best) and we went back home. I can say 100% that I will never forget my first solo.

chuck91
smile.gif

Congrats on your 1st Solo Chuck91!

I remember my 1st solo flight back in 2002 like it just happened yesterday. Nothing feels better then that first flight as Pilot in Command and one step closer to achieving a dream.

I learned how to fly in Hawaii on the island of Oahu within the fine Class B airspace of Honolulu International airport. My 1st supervised solo was at a Class D airport (Kalaeloa) JRF right outside of HNL's Class B airspace and it was amazing. The awesome thing was that day the U.S. Coast Guard was doing touch and go's in a C-130 at that airport as well so I was in the traffic pattern for 3 landings with a C-130 so that was cool.

The following day, I went out and did my first Class B airspace solo out of Honolulu International where my FBO was based and that was definately an experience. HNL has a few parallel runways for the variety traffic and I remember being advised by ATC to enter left downwind for Rwy 4 left. As I turned Base to Final there was a Hawaiian Airlines Boeing 717 on final for the paralled runway 4 Right so that was an amazing 1st Class Solo.

Best of luck in your continued flight training.

Fly Safe!

Aaron~

Congrats! Your first solo is a day that you will remember forever. Did you get the back of your shirt cut out?

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats! Your first solo is a day that you will remember forever. Did you get the back of your shirt cut out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sort of, at our FBO the instructors draw radical pictures on your shirt about the solo and hang them on the walls of the FBO.

[ QUOTE ]
Now I'm back on final and saying to myself KEEP THE NOSE UP

[/ QUOTE ]

That was mee too. Also, "Steer with your feet! Steer with your feet!"

Congrats!

Mike

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats! Any thoughts on where you may travel for your x-country flights?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, my first x-cntry will be from Tipton/KFME to Easton airport across the Cheas. from Annapolis,MD around 10-15 miles inland. Nice size airport, I've seen small jets take off there and on my last trip there I was on the hold short line for 33 and a WWII B-17 came in for a landing. It was one of the most coolest sites, I could even smell the rubber from the tires of the B-17 when it touched down. I think my instructor said that they where giving tour flights around the local area for only $10.00. Not Bad uh?
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Yea, my first x-cntry will be from Tipton/KFME to Easton airport across the Cheas. from Annapolis,MD around 10-15 miles inland. Nice size airport

[/ QUOTE ]

Good deal. I used the opportunity for my long x-country to cross the Chesapeake Bay on to go see my family back in Dover, DE (where I was born and raised). Flew into 33N DE Airpark.

KMRB (Martinsburg, WV) -- KDMW (Westminster, MD) -- KEVY (Middletown, DE--to call and let 'em know I was 10min out) -- 33N.

Back home at 11pm a straight shot from 33N to KMRB.

[ QUOTE ]
I think my instructor said that they where giving tour flights around the local area for only $10.00. Not Bad uh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did your instructor forget to leave off a '0.' There's a B-17 and B-24 that travel around offering rides, but for like $300. $10 might get you a tour/walk-around. They were here in Frederick (where I work) just a few weeks ago.

Back