1953 C180

It depends on the year of the M7. Since roughly 1995 the M7 has a slightly longer wing. The problem is the empty on the M7 is higher.
And yes the m6 without the aileron extension(which they incorporated into the last handful), is truck like.

Check this site out - Maule AK Worldwide - Home

Autogas is a good reason to go with the 235hp, but not all 235 are the same. I'm not sure which sub models maule has used. There's some that are still 8.5:1 compression but have a 2400rpm red line to limit it to 235. Other's have 7.2:1 pistons and spin at 2525rpm. The latter would be what you want, and they were certified on 80 octane. It's the O-540-B series.
That said lycoming service instruction 1070 shows you can use appropriate auto fuel in the other engines just fine.
https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/SI1070AA Specified Fuels.pdf
They built a few with the O-540-B and that one works beautifully. Most use IO-540.
The higher compression 540s are very detonation prone on mogas. Much bigger issue than vapor lock in the lines.

Compare the utility and ability to make money of an m7 vs a 172. The 172 costs more. The entire Maule line up(and the american champion lineup) are a bargin compared to a cessna.
No argument there, but if you can get a nice used one for $100k...

No argument there, but if you can get a nice used one for $100k...
You can get a 90's or early 2000 era 540 maule for 100k. It's just not even close in value for the money. Hell they even make a nose dragger for the inferior pilots.
For a brand new trainer, check out American Champion. Considering what everything else costs, they're also a bargin.

They built a few with the O-540-B and that one works beautifully. Most use IO-540.
The higher compression 540s are very detonation prone on mogas. Much bigger issue than vapor lock in the lines.
They probably are on 87, but Lycoming themselves tested it on 93 and approved... with a bunch a caveots like new mogas since after about a month of sitting that garbage isn't 93 anymore.
The data plate on my old narrow deck E4A5 specs 91/96 which I don't think has been made for a long time.

Last edited:
They probably are on 87, but Lycoming themselves tested it on 93 and approved... with a bunch a caveots like new mogas since after about a month of sitting that garbage isn't 93 anymore.
The data plate on my old narrow deck E4A5 specs 91/96 which I don't think has been made for a long time.
For a while the price difference between the 100LL and car stuff was like 8-fold in Russia, so every conceivable trick was tried with the 91/95/98 car gas. 95 (that's like mid grade here) seems to work the best. Angle valve 360s, most higher comp 540 and most big bore continentals (although those are just more sensitive to the vapor locks) don't do great on that.
Had to build a guy new set of wings in FL once due to the alcohol free boat gas eating through the tank sealant after a few months of sitting and turning epoxy into gel. That crap smelled like acetone.

For a while the price difference between the 100LL and car stuff was like 8-fold in Russia, so every conceivable trick was tried with the 91/95/98 car gas. 95 (that's like mid grade here) seems to work the best. Angle valve 360s, most higher comp 540 and most big bore continentals (although those are just more sensitive to the vapor locks) don't do great on that.
Had to build a guy new set of wings in FL once due to the alcohol free boat gas eating through the tank sealant after a few months of sitting and turning epoxy into gel. That crap smelled like acetone.
Ya, autogas on composite tanks is a known issue. It'll clog carbs and fuel injectors to. I think it's best to take the 5lb hit in weight and go aluminum.

Ya, autogas on composite tanks is a known issue. It'll clog carbs and fuel injectors to. I think it's best to take the 5lb hit in weight and go aluminum.
Agree.
I just stuck to 100LL even though my first plane had a Jabiru 3300 that could eat mogas. Not worth the trouble.

Agree.
I just stuck to 100LL even though my first plane had a Jabiru 3300 that could eat mogas. Not worth the trouble.
It's a bigger issue on the rotax since it has a gearbox that isn't a big fan of lead deposits. Just increases your mx interval, but I ran as much autogas as I could through that engine. Got it with epoxy fiberglass tanks though and had to change them to aluminum.

Back