1953 C180

Nark

Macho Superpilot
My intent late last year was to do a progress report of a panel facelift on my 180. I got a home-boy hookup from an IA that has some avionics know-how.

The intent, again, was a 4-6 week turn around.
Turned out to be 7 months.

I was able to get beyond knuckles deep and learned an untold amount about my baby.

So without further adieu,
I went from this:
5F292D04-E703-4D69-9299-5727780C7333.jpeg

Through this:
45058FFD-56E8-4EC2-BC10-F5F3CBA28868.jpeg

And ended up with this:
D0D828A4-87D3-44C8-9257-320629163784.jpeg

I eventually gave up on tracking the cost, but easily north of my first year pay when I first started flying an RJ.

I need to setup the rest of the gadgets, and learn how to use them. More importantly, remember how to fly a taildragger.

Love it! That’s what I really would like to do with my 182.

How do you get away with getting rid of your airspeed indicator and altimeter?

Did you put the STC’d G5’s or experimental versions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TSO’d version of the G5’s. The pitot/static was relocated to the right side.
I want to say the G5’s make them stand alone, but regardless still have them.

My understanding of the STC is that the G5 can only replace either the AI or Turn Coordinator, and even then you have to keep the six pack layout with the other gauges. I don’t think it’s approved as a stand-alone instrument (which is dumb). And then only for flying IFR(?). VFR, I think you can do whatever you want as long as you’ve got an IA to sign the annual! I’m not sure a ramp check will get that deep of an inspection.

2517ff3e26efa7d653399424e8dfe108.jpg

Here is what I’m looking at- a “portable” EFIS that snaps on a bracket installed in a 3 1/8” instrument hole. They make an air data module for pitot static input. I’ll covertly hook that up behind the instrument panel. No STC needed!

My understanding of the STC is that the G5 can only replace either the AI or Turn Coordinator, and even then you have to keep the six pack layout with the other gauges. I don’t think it’s approved as a stand-alone instrument (which is dumb). And then only for flying IFR(?). VFR, I think you can do whatever you want as long as you’ve got an IA to sign the annual! I’m not sure a ramp check will get that deep of an inspection.

Yeah for whatever reason you have to keep analog alt and airspeed. You can dump the attitude indicator though. Planning to put one or maybe 2 in a coworkers plane this winter and either eliminate the heading (do an HSI install) or both heading and attitude. Couple to a 430W and he should have a pretty decent IFR panel.

2517ff3e26efa7d653399424e8dfe108.jpg

Here is what I’m looking at- a “portable” EFIS that snaps on a bracket installed in a 3 1/8” instrument hole. They make an air data module for pitot static input. I’ll covertly hook that up behind the instrument panel. No STC needed!

I have their whole HXr suite in the bearhawk. I had the Sport EX in the Highlander. I'm a big fan of GRT. The sport EX is probably the best priced fully featured EFIS out there. But it's experimental only.

With two G5’s do they have some sort of reversion ability should one crap out?

Signed, former owner of a King EHSI - 3 failures in 140 hours.

You can revert either one to an attitude indicator. I don’t know if you get any HSI information on the AI if the lower one goes. Are you talking the King 825 EHSI? Those were kind of cool units but they did quit without warning and they were stupid expensive to replace.

You can revert either one to an attitude indicator. I don’t know if you get any HSI information on the AI if the lower one goes. Are you talking the King 825 EHSI? Those were kind of cool units but they did quit without warning and they were stupid expensive to replace.
Ah good info.

And yes, that’s the one. Looking at SEA right now they’ve got one for $18,500. We picked up one for $7,500 - died 3 months later, fortunately under warranty. The replacement died a month after the warranty expired. All just cruising along and blacked out.

Also had to track down a nav/com that was practically unobtanium. Those late 90s/early 2000s King avionics are the pits.

Yes, the lower one will revert to an attitude/EFIS.
I’d have to double check, but I believe the nav symbology will also have input, like an ILS. The top one is only an EFIS, no reversion ability.
Both have a backup battery that will last around 4ish hours.

Back