17 Year Girl Has Successful Off Field Landing

so the plane restarted on the ground?

Funny because that was the same thing I first thought about after reading the article.

Speculation of course, but it may have been carb ice. Carb ice can either make the engine loose power drastically, or completely kill it if you aren't watching it.

Of course, once you land, the ice melts, and probably allowed the engine to start right back up no problem.

Bravo on her landing though! :)

Speculation of course, but it may have been carb ice. Carb ice can either make the engine loose power drastically, or completely kill it if you aren't watching it.

Of course, once you land, the ice melts, and probably allowed the engine to start right back up no problem.

Bravo on her landing though! :)

Out of my five years of flying, I've never seen the oil pressure drop to zero during carb icing.

So now you gotta wonder.. did the engine quit then lose oil pressure.. or did she lose oil pressure and engine quit...

... and who was supposed to screw on that oil cap, anyhow? :rolleyes:

Pity the FDR can't be pulled.. hmmm

So now you gotta wonder.. did the engine quit then lose oil pressure.. or did she lose oil pressure and engine quit...

... and who was supposed to screw on that oil cap, anyhow? :rolleyes:

Pity the FDR can't be pulled.. hmmm

Haha, exactly! All good questions. All I know is I've had carb ice before, lost engine power, and had to emergency land, at night... talk about fun! Luckily for me, I was within range to where I found an airport to land at. Thought I had a problem with the airplane, and the engine worked fine once we were on the ground.

Reminds me when Mesa Airlines was flying C-208 Caravan service from PHX to PRC. One of their female pilots landed in PRC with no oil, and the cap was found on the tarmac at PHX.

Reminds me when Mesa Airlines was flying C-208 Caravan service from PHX to PRC. One of their female pilots landed in PRC with no oil, and the cap was found on the tarmac at PHX.
Unlike the C402 which flies just fine to Houston even when the oil cap is found back on the ramp @ ADS.

Haha, exactly! All good questions. All I know is I've had carb ice before, lost engine power, and had to emergency land, at night... talk about fun! Luckily for me, I was within range to where I found an airport to land at. Thought I had a problem with the airplane, and the engine worked fine once we were on the ground.

This is why when I fly light aircraft VFR, I daisy-chain airports together and use them as waypoints.

This way, if I have to drift down from altitude, it's not such a crisis.

But you gotta wonder, sometimes. I've heard stories about Duchess pilots hanging the oil dipstick on the high end of the prop during preflight.. then leaving it there until engine start.

It happens to all kinds of folks. I just personally don't want to go lumping this kid in with Sully until I get all of the data, ya know?

Hell, thats happened with the Dash. Maintenance "checked" oil levels, then closed the oil door but didn't put the cap back on.

I say the whole story is a bunch of B.S.

Everybody knows that SULLY is the only pilot in the universe that can land an airplane without engines.

This is why when I fly light aircraft VFR, I daisy-chain airports together and use them as waypoints.

This way, if I have to drift down from altitude, it's not such a crisis.

But you gotta wonder, sometimes. I've heard stories about Duchess pilots hanging the oil dipstick on the high end of the prop during preflight.. then leaving it there until engine start.

It happens to all kinds of folks. I just personally don't want to go lumping this kid in with Sully until I get all of the data, ya know?

Yeah, that's not a bad idea! And yeah, I know what you mean haha.

We had a student pilot do this on a solo x-country (c-172) and lost his engine about 30 minutes into the flight. He landed it successfully!

I have a hard time thinking this is what happened purely based on the article. If there was no oil dipstick then the FAA "instructor" would not of even attempted to start on the ground, it would have caused even more engine damage. I would think that oil quantity would be the first thing he would have checked before an engine restart.

IMO

Unlike the C402 which flies just fine to Houston even when the oil cap is found back on the ramp @ ADS.

Was that a Sully immitation?
No wait, that was the guy deadsticking into Naples :sarcasm:
Can't imagine forgetting a oil cap - yeah, a headset bag or pilot case on the elevator, or realizing that 200 HP is not enough to pull the cement block out of the pavement... but an oil cap?

Good job on the landing! If she was 18 it would have been nothing, but at age 17, she was probably texting all the way to the ground.

Back